Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 55lb spring in my help coil fork. I have been running it with HSC fully open, 8 clicks from fully open of LSC (out of 15), 1 to 2 clicks of preload, LSR 6 out of 8 from closed.

I am finding it to be harsh over rutted trails and I am not getting close to full travel. with the LSR where it is, the spring does clunk slightly when it returns to full travel (lifting for a manual or bunny hopping over stuff on the trail)

my riding weight is 96KG and my calculated spring rate is 50lbs.

there is no 50lb spring for the helm, only a 45lb.

Obviously there would be a huge difference going from 55 to 45lbs, but are then are downsides to running a spring that is in theory, too soft, or is it rider preference?

thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
11,851 Posts
Depends whether you want more support or more compliance.

Too soft can feel weak when you're pumping the bike. To some extent you can bolster than with LSC, but LSC doesn't give you the pop back that a firmer spring will give you.

At this point you're heavily enough invested you should just buy it and try it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Being at half way on your LSC could be causing issue, have you tried going fully open lsc, then do the same rutted section of trail starting full open, and adding a click each iteration to get to it feeling best in the rutted section. Im not sure what measurements led to current settings, may be able to lighten up on LSC damping and add a click or two of HSC. Having LSC damping dialed too high will also contribute to not acheiving full travel.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
When in doubt... go stiffer (if you are an aggressive rider), trust me.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have been running it with HSC fully open, 8 clicks from fully open of LSC (out of 15)
I thought running the HSC fully open limits the effect of the LSC as adjuster?

As in the HSC adjuster works by pre-loading the shims to the high speed circuit, so by running it fully open any small force will open the circuit and bypassing the low speed circuit. This would make any adjustments to the LSC useless.

Is this correct?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it’s a bit the other way round, having LSC fully open allows a lot of flow through the low speed circuit before the high speed circuit engages. So by closing the low speed circuit by adding LSC, it limits the slow speed and then when pressure builds sufficiently as it would going over square edges, the high speed circuit would be forced to open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol. At then end of the day, I set rebound first to a point I’m happy, then I set LSC to get the pump I want, them if I go though too much travel, I add some HSC. I try and keep it simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
987 Posts

As in the HSC adjuster works by pre-loading the shims to the high speed circuit, so by running it fully open any small force will open the circuit and bypassing the low speed circuit. This would make any adjustments to the LSC useless.

Is this correct?

Steve from Vorsprung's explanation from Tech Tuesday is the best.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so if I understand the video correctly, set your HSC to a point where you are not bottoming out, then start to close LSC until you get the support you want?

·
Registered
11,851 Posts

Is this correct?

HSC sets the damping curve, LSC controls the transition up to that.

I always set LSC first. Otherwise you're raising the limit without knowing how close you are to that limit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.