Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1300 ish budget, but less would be better.

Things that sound nice are air fork, 11 or 12 speed, dropper post, tubeless compatible wheels, and ability to use a 29er wheelset. But I'm not sure if I "need" any of those things. I've never had them before.

Top contenders are (in order of how I have them sorted)

2020 roscoe 7 (looks like a huge upgrade from the 2019)
Norco Fluid HT2 (like that it's the cheapest of the bunch)
Marin Pine Mountain 1 (steel frame sounds nice, and it weighs almost the same as everything else. also looks like thru axle rear)
Cannondale Cujo 2
DB Mason 2 (most expensive, don't really see any benefits over the trek)
Motobecane Fantom Boost Elite (no dropper post, and typical BD negatives)

Does anyone have experience or input on any of these bikes/component set ups? Any other recommendations?

I've been out of the cycling world for a while so I have no idea how good some of these components are anymore. Like the XCR34 vs Recon fork (Assuming Judy is better than both), NX vs SLX, etc (my quick search shows they're about the same, just personal preference).

·
Registered
727 Posts
With the Norco ... Assuming you are in the US, you will pay a tariff on the bike. Overall the bikes are still a good deal, just not as good as they were previously.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Mason 2 is cheaper than the Roscoe. You get a very slightly better fork with 20mm more travel but the Roscoe has 12 speed vs. 11 speed. Both SRAM which I greatly prefer. Brakes might be a wash but I do know that the SRAM brakes are decent. Shimano ones on the Roscoe are probably ok but low end. Both have low end droppers. Everything else is pretty much as wash. But the Mason is $120 cheaper, you can get 3% cash back through Active Junky for an additional $33 savings....and if you ask nice or look around enough....you'd probably be able to score a 5% discount code for the Mason as well. The one negative for some people especially new to cycling...is that the DiamondBack is customer direct so you'll have to assemble the bike yourself or pay a shop to do it for you. It's really simple but some people are intimidated or just not mechanically inclined. Then there's the chance that you'll need to tune it out of the box as well and you'll have to deal with warranty issues yourself if they arise. DiamondBack does have fantastic customer support at least so that's a plus.

The Sync'r might be worth a look too. Similar to the Mason but couple hundo less and of course it's a little less equipped. But still a good starter bike in the <$1000 price range.

I have a Norco. It's the Torrent. I built it from the frame up. I can say without a doubt the frame is amazing. I loved the bike when I had it built up. I still have the frame and will rebuild it again eventually.

Buddy has a Marin. Not the Pine Mountain. But a Marin. It's a nicely made bike. I wouldn't hesitate to own and ride something from them as long as it met my needs.

Keep in mind that not all 27.5+ frame play nice with 29er wheel setups. You will probably want to check first before investing in a wheelset.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe add Specialized Fuse and Rocky Mountain Growler to your list. The mid-level Growler is $1359 and has a good component set with main drawback is only a 10x cassette. Certainly can upgrade that down the road. As always, go and ride them if you can and get the one that feels the best.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
According to my LBS, the Roscoe is the best selling bike in the whole shop. People even come from surrounding cities when they're out of stock and buy them here. The manager informs me that they sell as fast as they can build one and put it out on the floor.

I'd add the Salsa Timberjack and Specalized Fuse to your list as well, if they're equipped like you want and within your budget.

·
Registered
13 Posts
According to my LBS, the Roscoe is the best selling bike in the whole shop. People even come from surrounding cities when they're out of stock and buy them here. The manager informs me that they sell as fast as they can build one and put it out on the floor.

I'd add the Salsa Timberjack and Specalized Fuse to your list as well, if they're equipped like you want and within your budget.
I've ridden all three of those and both the Roscoe (2019) and Fuse impressed. The Timberjack didn't feel good to me for a trail bike; more like bikepacking bike. The OP should go and ride and see what feels best.

What's the big upgrades to the Roscoe for 2020? It's only a refresh, right? Still Boost141 I think.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. I'll start making my way around the LBS's and seeing what they have and will let me swing a leg over. I rode a Roscoe 8 around the parking lot, but that didn't tell me a whole lot. And it was out of the budget anyway.

Mason 2 is cheaper than the Roscoe.
DB has the mason 2 at 1399 on DB site, Roscoe 7 is 1259 on trek site.

What's the big upgrades to the Roscoe for 2020? It's only a refresh, right? Still Boost141 I think.
Yeah just a refresh, but the 7 now gets a judy sl air fork and sx eagle 12 speed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far. I'll start making my way around the LBS's and seeing what they have and will let me swing a leg over. I rode a Roscoe 8 around the parking lot, but that didn't tell me a whole lot. And it was out of the budget anyway.

DB has the mason 2 at 1399 on DB site, Roscoe 7 is 1259 on trek site.

Yeah just a refresh, but the 7 now gets a judy sl air fork and sx eagle 12 speed
With 2019 Roscoe, I would definitely go for the 8, but with the 2020 offerings it does seem like the best value might be with the 7.

Do you access to a Rocky Mountain dealer? The Growler is the one I'm holding out for, but have not been able to ride it yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you access to a Rocky Mountain dealer? The Growler is the one I'm holding out for, but have not been able to ride it yet.
There is one in Louisville, about 1.5 hours away

Get on chat and ask for corporate account.

View attachment 1263249
Ohhhh this might be a winner if I get it for that price.

Will still hit up the LBS's. Maybe they'll have something on clearance, or I'll find something I just gotta have.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Swung by the local shops today.

The Cannondale/Specialized/Giant dealer pissed me off. I told them exactly what I was looking for (air fork, dropper post, 1x11 or 1x12, tubeless ready) and they kept trying to push me to an entry level Cujo that wasn't my size. "You don't need all that for riding around here" Yeah, I don't NEED a new bike either.

Loved the shop that had the Salsa Timberjack. They let me ride it a few miles away and try it out. I climbed a levee hill and descended it, went through some rocks I found under the overpass. It was great.

Also have the Trek Roscoe as an option. That shop is also very nice. I know they don't have 2020 Roscoe's in yet, but I'll go in and talk to them.

So it's really between the 1599 SLX Timberjack, 2019 Roscoe 8 (if they'll deal on it), and 2020 Roscoe 7.

My heart wants the Salsa but it seems stupid to pay $350 more for a bike with 1 less gear that isn't tubeless ready.

Salsa Pros: I prefer Shimano SLX to Sram, 130mm travel, super cool shop, dig the color
Salsa Cons: Most expensive and not the best on paper

2020 Roscoe 7 Pros: 1x12 (slightly taller granny gear), $350 cheaper. tubeless ready
2020 Roscoe 7 Cons: 100 mm travel

2019 Roscoe 8 Pros: Slightly cheaper, 1x12, 120mm travel, tubeless ready
2019 Roscoe 8 Cons: Don't like the color

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/timberjack/2019_timberjack_slx_27.5

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...ikes/roscoe/roscoe-7/p/28499/?colorCode=black

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...trail-mountain-bikes/roscoe/roscoe-8/p/23608/

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Honestly, I hemmed and hawed between the 2019 roscoe 8 and the 2018 timberjack myself.

Can't go wrong with either. really.

so on one hand, congrats on the awesome bike (which ever one you choose)!

on the other hand, sucks to have to make the decision and live with it. Honestly, I kept the spreadsheet I made for comparing the bikes after I've bought my bike, so that I could keep comparing to the bike that I didn't choose after living with the bike a while and learning more about what the actual component specs mean

one more pro to add to the timberjack: this sweet thread https://forums.mtbr.com/salsa/timberjack-thread-1031040.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the plot thickens

Trek can't get me a '20 Roscoe 7 in the time frame I want, and they're out of the '19 Roscoe 8's in my size.

The Salsa dealer didn't really want to budge on price so whatever.

I saw REI sold Salsa so I went over there to check out their stock. A Co-op drt 2.2 caught my eye. It was my size and on clearance. I slapped a hold sign on it.

https://www.rei.com/product/135913/co-op-cycles-drt-22-bike

Is there any reason not to go for it? I rode it around their lot and it was similar to the timberjack I rode. The frame doesn't look like it's a copy of someone else, so I'm a bit curious about that. The SLX brakes seem higher quality than the Salsa and Trek. I'm not too sure about the fork, but it had good reviews. I like that it has remote lockout already on it. Also like that it's tubeless ready.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.