Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Metalheadbikerider
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-using the Morris plan.
I finished the MSP phase about a week ago and came out with my legs feeling a little less powerful so I have gone back to doing shorter, more intense intervals to reestablish some power. Those of you that are in your in-season training plans, what are your weeks looking like? Do you do days of SMSP intervals and days of MSP intervals? How much do you mix it up, or do you ride all of your interval at basically the hardest you can go for every rep in the set?
What are you all doing right now?

·
Not Smart Enough to Quit
644 Posts
I feel the same

I'm in my first week after doing all that threshold work and iI feel the same. No snap, kinda flat, & not able to go REALLY hard. I did 2 on 2 off intervals yesterday and they hurt bad. I did 1.5 on 1.5 off today at a little higher power and felt much better. I'm hoping that there is some "magic" effect after doing the MSP work and then doing shorter intervals. Anyway, I'm going to try to do at least 1 or 2 short interval workouts each week, hopefully on back to back days. Long hard road or MTB rides on the weekend will round out the program.

Any advice on the in season program from the Morris Gurus would be appreciated by all, I'm sure!

·
Metalheadbikerider
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly!

My plan is to do 2 on, 2 off intervals. I also plan to throw in some sprint and leadout intervals into the mix once in a while, and continue to do MSP type intervals on the trail and road. I plan to lengthen the time of the SMSP intervals once I feel comfortable again at the 2 minute time.
Sounds like we are both on track!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Patience

He says this will happen in the book, and I've seen the the same experiences that you've both mentioned. That flat feeling in the legs after prolonged blocks of MSP.

Personally it takes another 1-2 weeks to transition over from the MSP blocks to the in-season work. To ease the transition you can do things like Leadout intervals and sprint intervals during the last week of MSPO work.

In season for me looks sort of like this

Hard MTB
Hard Road
Off/easy
zone 2 1hr
Combo of MSP/SMSP intervals (1min MSP, 1min SMSP, 1min MSP etc) for 8-12 mins
Hard MTB shorter length
Off Easy

repeat

after 3rd week cut durations by a ton and recover for a rest week

Right now I can't really do the back to back hard rides and be fully recovered for the intervals. But in time I think I'll be able to handle the 2 hard rides and be ready to go for the intervals later in the week.

All I can say is BE PATIENT. Dave has some sort of voodoo jiggy going on because I'm putting in 4-6hrs a week and am riding stronger than I ever have. Ever.. Even when I was putting 10-12hrs saddle time. I've broken my PR on my nemisis hill climb and did real well in a race. I've been middle ringing trails that I've only grannied before. Hammering 2hrs into a ride when I used to be fading hard. I am still amazed at how all the pieces fit together in his program. Each piece has a special purpose and they all fit together like a pyramid, where each one before builds the foundation for the next. He's really got something here that works well with my limited time.

See my BLOG for a diary of training the Morris way since last August.

·
Canuck
112 Posts
I'm a little behind you guys

I'm just in my first week of SMSP. Glad to hear this stuff pans out eventually !

Hey I'm wondering if anyone did any early season racing while still in SMSP ? I'm doing a race this weekend, on what will be day3 of a block. I was going to preride the course on day2, with some 2 on/off intervals thrown in, then just giver as much as I can on race day. Don't care how I do in the race, it'll just be part of training. Any advice ?

·
Registered
313 Posts
DirtSnake said:
I'm just in my first week of SMSP. Glad to hear this stuff pans out eventually !

Hey I'm wondering if anyone did any early season racing while still in SMSP ? I'm doing a race this weekend, on what will be day3 of a block. I was going to preride the course on day2, with some 2 on/off intervals thrown in, then just giver as much as I can on race day. Don't care how I do in the race, it'll just be part of training. Any advice ?
I did a race after two weeks of smsp and I found I did not have much endurance. I did make more power for shorter spurts however. I am finding my endurance at MSP or just below is increasing quite fast now that I am a few weeks in MSP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.