Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We got quite a bit of snow the last two weeks of December and finding rideable surfaces has been difficult.

I've even been resorting to lots of this. It ain't dirt but it's better than the trainer.


Today the conditions were right to go find some rideable snow. 25-30 degrees F and it's been a week or two since the last storm so the pick-ups, Rhinos, snowmobiles, and quads have had sufficient time to pack things down.

I headed down the hill from my house and 5-6 blocks later I was on snow....... 100 feet later and I was on my butt.

This stuff is sliiiiiiiiiiick.


Fifty feet later and it was back to the nice grippy, packed white stuff (I guess I don't need those studded tires after all). Much better. Very rideable.


It looked and sounded nice and crunchy. This was my soundtrack for the next couple of hours.

I crossed the valley and started heading for the mountains.


Still climbing. "Ooo, look! Rocks!. Be still my heart." Maybe I shoulda brought the Knolly.


I rode along this south facing slope much of the way up this canyon so it looks like the only place there is snow is on the road. Not so.




Mmmmm. Texture. This might be a rideable surface....(or just more evidence that trucks, rhinos and quads have been this way)


No, but this is.


Is that actual dirt I see up there? This requires further investigation.


Now this is a rideable surface.....albeit somewhat muddy and short-lived.


Back into my snowy canyon. Sigh.


....where I continued climbing in these snowy ruts.


I'm such a dork. I tried this mikesee artsy-fartsy shot but my fat hand ended up casting a shadow on the crested wheat ruining the golden moment. Close your eyes and imagine the sun lighting up that weed in the foreground.


More proof that I'm a total spaz. The bottom of these ruts was nice and flat ....pretty rideable surfaces. That, however, did not hinder me from falling down a couple more times on the way back as speeds increased and my tire tried to climb out of the rut. You'd think it would be easy to stay on the packed stuff. Apparently I'm not that co-ordinated. :rolleyes:


I eventually made it back down to the valley below and am now occupying the nice soft "rideable surface" of my overstuffed leather couch, tanked up on ibuprofen.... because my buttox is very sore.


Notes to self:
1.) Don't ride on ice without studs.
2.) Ice is hard. Very hard.
3.) Snow is an acceptable riding surface.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
hey there, you always seem to get some nice shots, how do you manage by yourself, do you have a remote for your camera or a very long timer setup. do tell as i ride by myself and want to get some shots with me in it for a change.
Dont worry winter will be over soon.

Cheers for the inspiration

Kiwi
 

·
This place needs an enema
Joined
·
16,942 Posts
Nice K--thanks for taking the time to share.

Without the change of seasons and restricted access to our preferred trails, would we ever learn to appreciate them as much as we do come April?

Methinks not.

MC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kiwimtbr said:
hey there, you always seem to get some nice shots, how do you manage by yourself, do you have a remote for your camera or a very long timer setup. do tell as i ride by myself and want to get some shots with me in it for a change.
Dont worry winter will be over soon.

Cheers for the inspiration

Kiwi
Thanks. It's really pretty silly looking and you can't be worried about being a dork but it's all a matter of setting the camera on something flat, hitting the 10 second timer and making a mad dash for the bike, all the while counting to 10 in your head so you are in the right place when the camera goes off. Sometimes it works great the first time.... other times.... uh, not so much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mikesee said:
Without the change of seasons and restricted access to our preferred trails, would we ever learn to appreciate them as much as we do come April?

Methinks not.

MC
True. My local trails are feeling a little stale by the time October and November roll around. Winter is a good change and makes them all seem new and fun again come Spring..... but I'm not tired of real riding on real rock and dirt...... so I can still be a bit grumpy about winter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
icegeek said:
Learn to ski.
Touche'. That's what all my skiing friends say. What do you suggest? I've done some XC skiing around here and have done some very little resort downhill skiing many years ago.

I think I'd be interested in backcountry skiing because it blends the two....not to mention there are no lifts around here and backcountry's pretty much all we have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tscheezy said:
Learn to ride a snowbike.
You know, since our last discussion on this topic I've ridden on a lot of different snow surfaces where it became obvious the fat tire bikes would have a distinct advantage.

So do I buy skiis or a snow bike?...... or do I just buy gas to get me to St. George and Vegas more often in the Winter?
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
Bob has a Pugs. The next time you go to St G hit him up for a demo ride. There is enough sand around St G that you would get a good feel for how it handles soft surfaces. If you want to extend your riding season, whether or not to get one seems like a no-brainer. Plus, a decent quality used xc ski set can be had so incredibly cheap that I don't see it as an either/or issue. Get both.
 

·
trail rat
Joined
·
7,825 Posts
KRob said:
...setting the camera on something flat, hitting the 10 second timer and making a mad dash for the bike, all the while counting to 10 in your head so you are in the right place when the camera goes off..
You forgot "look casual when the shutter trips". ;)

Great pixels and werds. :thumbsup:
 

·
lidless ascender
Joined
·
812 Posts
Cool stuff, Kent.
Snow rides always make for a fun day out in the winter.Even though I'm more of a skier during the winter, biking is just a substitute for a fitness center (which, after trying then a few times in the past, are now confirmed to be incompatible with me :p )
Alas, sunny days like the one on your pics have been a rare sight this winter.We probably had two from the beginning of december (plus a couple more cloudy days without precipitation).Combine that with temperatures that seem to linger just above freezing most of the time (except a week in mid december, when temps rose to 15 degrees C), and instead of a huge amount of powder we mostly have some snow, more slush, a enough rain to cause mild flooding...We've had more than our share of freaky weather this winter and I'm starting to consider myself lucky every time I can get out without being pissed on from above.

Marko
 

·
Loser
Joined
·
5,536 Posts
I got out yesterday for my own search for rideable surfaces. I was about 66% successful. It was to be a short ride, but ended up being 3.5 hours of hard labor... good stuff. There was some good hard packed snow, no dirt and some fresh snow and some loosely packed snow (the WORST). I crashed, I slid, I pushed, I flopped and ultimately I bonked.

All good!
John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
KRob said:
You know, since our last discussion on this topic I've ridden on a lot of different snow surfaces where it became obvious the fat tire bikes would have a distinct advantage.

So do I buy skiis or a snow bike?...... or do I just buy gas to get me to St. George and Vegas more often in the Winter?
I've spent the last 3 winters hunting for surfaces that would be rideable (and legal to ride) on my mountain bike, using studded tires. Such surfaces are hard to come by where I live. A fatbike would expand my winter options, but it's a lot of money for something I'll probably use only a few months out of the year.

A decent entry-level xc ski package is much cheaper than a fatbike, and would be usable (and legal) in many more places close to home. So this year I'm preparing to buy such a package. I've only been skiing a few times, on rental gear at XC centers, with a couple of lessons thrown in. I suck at it -- I'm slow and fall a lot. But there's enough of a kernel of fun to keep me trying. It's a lot like when I started out with mountain biking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
problematiks said:
Cool stuff, Kent.
Snow rides always make for a fun day out in the winter.Even though I'm more of a skier during the winter, biking is just a substitute for a fitness center (which, after trying then a few times in the past, are now confirmed to be incompatible with me :p )
Alas, sunny days like the one on your pics have been a rare sight this winter.We probably had two from the beginning of december (plus a couple more cloudy days without precipitation).Combine that with temperatures that seem to linger just above freezing most of the time (except a week in mid december, when temps rose to 15 degrees C), and instead of a huge amount of powder we mostly have some snow, more slush, a enough rain to cause mild flooding...We've had more than our share of freaky weather this winter and I'm starting to consider myself lucky every time I can get out without being pissed on from above.

Marko
Yuck! I guess I could have it a lot worse. We've had 3 more days of beautiful clear blue skies and perfect winter riding temps since this ride.

KRob-------------------> Counting his blessings.

PS: While you're sitting inside waiting for the snow/sleet to stop, why don't you edit and post that Western U.S. Road Trip report from last September I've been waiting for?:thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top