Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My first posting here. I am 5'11" and weight 220lbs. I've owned hartals and want to buy my first and possibly only F/S bike. Not big on jumping off stuff, just cruising the trails 50% of the time and hitting the pavement other half of the time. I've been to a bike shop over the weekend and the dealer was telling my about the Santa Cruz Blur LT. Nice bike, but I called other dealers about this bike, they referred me to the Turner 5 spot (05), Yeti 575, and The FOES FXR. I kinda like what I read about the Foes and that would be my first choice followd by the 5 spot. Also, what would the difference be to me if I got a FXR with 5" or 6" travel since they have both frames...per their website.

Your opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,

LOK

·
Registered
454 Posts
What's a "Hartal"

From the description of what you plan on riding I would have said a light XC bike with 4" of travel would be the ticket. The bikes you listed are more "All Mountain" meant for more extreme riding. Not that they can't ride easy trails or the road. I ride my Dawg Dee-Lux with the family a lot on easy trails and road and it's great. Just that there are a ton of bikes that are better suited to the task. I would test ride the bike style you are looking at and also test a XC style and see what suits you better before dropping a bunch of cash or wasting a bunch of time narrowing down the all mountain styles. My .02

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
LeopardDog said:
From the description of what you plan on riding I would have said a light XC bike with 4" of travel would be the ticket. The bikes you listed are more "All Mountain" meant for more extreme riding. Not that they can't ride easy trails or the road. I ride my Dawg Dee-Lux with the family a lot on easy trails and road and it's great. Just that there are a ton of bikes that are better suited to the task. I would test ride the bike style you are looking at and also test a XC style and see what suits you better before dropping a bunch of cash or wasting a bunch of time narrowing down the all mountain styles. My .02
I agree. You simply can't get something as sweet as a 5 Spot and ride it on the road 50% of time. It would violate some supernatural law that governs trail riding.

I say you should consider something like a Stumpjumper FSR or a Rocky Mt. ETSX (or whatever the letters are). A regular Blur, Titus RacerX, or Turner Flux should also be considered. If you are more budget minded, check out the new Giant Trance or some of the Iron Horse rigs (see link at top for Go-Ride.com)

·
Registered
454 Posts
namaSSte said:
I agree. You simply can't get something as sweet as a 5 Spot and ride it on the road 50% of time. It would violate some supernatural law that governs trail riding.

I say you should consider something like a Stumpjumper FSR or a Rocky Mt. ETSX (or whatever the letters are). A regular Blur, Titus RacerX, or Turner Flux should also be considered. If you are more budget minded, check out the new Giant Trance or some of the Iron Horse rigs (see link at top for Go-Ride.com)
All good suggestions, and don't forget the Kona Kikapu series. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Santa Cruz Superlite???

What do you think about this bike?? Could it handle my weight? The dealer mentioned it was the top of the line bike about 3 years ago.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
Try a Stumpjumper

They pedal well and are light and nimble feeling and not over priced unless you get the top modle. If you can get your hands on a Canadian modle of the Devinci Remix or the Moon racer they are great bikes as well every bit as good as an Elsworth or Turnner. Only the Candian modle uses the horstlink design so the US modles will not be as good. I have a Rocky Mountain ETSX 70 it is a little bit $$$ but a better riding riding bike you won't find.

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
LOK said:
What do you think about this bike?? Could it handle my weight? The dealer mentioned it was the top of the line bike about 3 years ago.
I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Superlight. Its time tested and as the name implies....Its fairly low maintenance also since its a single pivot design. I also shoulda mentioned the Giant VT's. Im not an enormous fan of Giant but since they aren't making them anymore, they come cheap. They are also adjustable so you can run em like an xc rig or an all mt depending how you set things up.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
I have both a Superlight and a 5 Spot. I bought the Superlight about three years ago and loved every ride that took on the thing. I bought the 5 Spot because my riding style changed some over time. The Superlight was second to none when it came to a XC bike but when I started becoming interested in faster descents and more aggressive riding I realized the bike needed a mate. My point is, take a look at the riding that you like to do and would LIKE to do in the future. If you have any interest in harder riding then maybe a light XC dedicated frame is not the ticket. You mentioned the FXR. I think that is a great choice for a trailbike and dont forget the 5 Spot. You would be very happy with either one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.