Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying an unused '07 mission 2 frame, but I can't seem to find any detailed specs on the bike. Anyone got some? Specifically the BB shell width, rear tire clearance, and shock length (E-2-E and stroke). Also, is it uninterrupted cable housing? it looks to be in the pics, but I want to be certain. And speaking of shocks, will a coil shock fit? I have yet to find a pic online, and the knuckle box does look kinda tight...

those are the only Q's I can remember off the top of my head. But this info would be EXTREMELY helpful!!!!!

·
Let the good times roll.
1,182 Posts
The '07, '08, and '09 Mission are pretty much the same frame with different components and colors.

Housings are full length.

BB shell: 68mm
Tire clearance: Don't know exactly, but will fit a 2.35" Nevegal with plenty of room to spare. Maybe 2.5"?
Shock: 200mm x 50mm

Looking at the clearance, I don't think a coil will fit. I called DB to ask about it though, and they seemed pretty sure it wouldn't be a problem. They were equally sure that it would be a bad idea because of the progression curve. Darren at PUSH said pretty much the same thing when I asked about getting a custom tune. It's something I'd like to try sometime to satisfy my curiosity, but I have more important upgrades to take care of first. My custom tuned Float R and DHX w/ small air can both feel really nice on the trail.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that a coil wouldn't work... oh well. one final thing, what are the sizes of the shock mounts? M8 22.2 front and rear, or something else?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I'm buying a mission 2 frame W/O a shock. what are some that are relatively inexpensive, yet would work well for this bike? I was looking at the Cane Creek Cloud 9-- since a coil won't work, the Double Barrel is out (my wallet is MUCH happier about this than I am). but the Cloud 9 looks good, is completely user serviceable (nice since Juneau's only bike shop just went under...) and is within a reasonable price range of about $235. Anybody got any experience with this frame/ shock combo? or just the shock?

·
Singletrack Slayer
1,961 Posts
Not had any experience with CC, but heard great things. You can find great deals on a Fox RP2 and at least have some PP adjustment. The Rp2 is easy to service or you can get it Pushed once you get some mileage on it. The CC is a really nice shock, go for it and tell us how she handles:thumbsup:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hey everyone,

I am looking to make the transition from Santa Cruz over to a Mission frame. My buddy has a mission 2 and I love his bike. I found some frames for sale on ebay from a vendor and he states there is a Small (16") medium (17.5) But when I look around all I see is the Mission frames came in 3 sizes Small (15") Medium (18"). etc,

Can you guys shed some light on the actual sizes of the Small and Medium frames are?

I am riding a Medium Superlight right now which is a 17" frame. This guy is selling the Small frames for almost $100 less than the medium frame so if it really is 16" I might just go with the small frame.

Thanks for your help guys!

·
Let the good times roll.
1,182 Posts
alaskan, I've been really happy with both my PUSH Float R and my DHX Air. The Float is firmer and better for trail riding. The DHX is more plush and perfect for playing around or riding fast downhill. I've also heard good things about the RP2 and RP23. All of those shocks can be had for reasonably cheap from the classifieds here (that's where I got my almost-new DHX for about $200) and ebay. I have also heard a lot of good about the RS Monarch, but I don't know anyone who has put one on their Mission.

krazychowmein, how tall are you? I'm around 5 10, and I'm right between the medium and large. I'm riding a L with 70mm stem now, and that's a nice fit for XC riding. If I was getting a new frame now, I'd go for M with the same stem because I've been doing more aggressive riding than XC lately. Instead, I'll be trying a 50mm stem soon. Don't read too much into the 16", 17" etc. The most important # to consider is top tube length. But really, the only way to get a dialled in fit is to actually ride the bike. How does you friend's bike fit you?

·
Registered
279 Posts
miniwisejosh said:
krazychowmein, how tall are you? I'm around 5 10, and I'm right between the medium and large. I'm riding a L with 70mm stem now, and that's a nice fit for XC riding. If I was getting a new frame now, I'd go for M with the same stem because I've been doing more aggressive riding than XC lately. Instead, I'll be trying a 50mm stem soon. Don't read too much into the 16", 17" etc. The most important # to consider is top tube length. But really, the only way to get a dialled in fit is to actually ride the bike. How does you friend's bike fit you?
Miniwisejosh - I'm 5'8" and his bike fit me well, if anything I felt it was a little tall as the stand over clearance was close to the jewels. I just don't want to get a Small frame and feel like it is too small and have a tough time selling it as I see with most people trying to sell small frames.

Did they make any other sizes then 15, 18, and larger for the Mission? Because if the small frame really is 16" i'd be up for that.

Thanks!

·
Let the good times roll.
1,182 Posts
The S frame is 15.5" and the M is 17" according to Diamondback's website. But like I said, that number doesn't mean much for modern mountain bikes.

I forgot to ask what size your friend's frame is. Since you said it fit your height well, I'm guessing it's medium. The small frame will be 1 inch shorter in top tube and 0.5 inches shorter in standover. I saw a small Sortie once, and it definitely looked right for small people (or freeriders). Unless you can find a small to test ride and see if you like it, I'd suggest spending the extra $100.

By the way, the top tube on the M Mission and M Superlight are the same at 23" according to the company websites, and the Mission's standover is indeed higher as you noticed.

·
Registered
279 Posts
miniwisejosh said:
The S frame is 15.5" and the M is 17" according to Diamondback's website. But like I said, that number doesn't mean much for modern mountain bikes.

I forgot to ask what size your friend's frame is. Since you said it fit your height well, I'm guessing it's medium. The small frame will be 1 inch shorter in top tube and 0.5 inches shorter in standover. I saw a small Sortie once, and it definitely looked right for small people (or freeriders). Unless you can find a small to test ride and see if you like it, I'd suggest spending the extra $100.

By the way, the top tube on the M Mission and M Superlight are the same at 23" according to the company websites, and the Mission's standover is indeed higher as you noticed.
Thanks for the advice Josh and OP didn't mean to hijack your thread!

My friends Mission is indeed a medium so it looks like I'll be holding out for a medium Mission frame!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the advice Josh and OP didn't mean to hijack your thread!
don't worry about it.

sizing is actually something I was thinking about myself. I just bought a small mission, and I'm 5'8". I was previously looking at a Transition Covert (v.2)... but due to lack of fundage, I opted for the mission. I had previously contacted the guys at transition and they said a S Covert would be perfect for me. comparing the dims. on the Covert and Mission, they were almost identical save for a 1 degree steeper head tube, and 1 degree steeper seat tube. Once I get it built up, I'll tell you how well it fits

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.