Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good set of mtb cantilever brake-levers, but have no idea which to look for. They are for onZa HO's front and rear.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i seriously doubt anything would be better than a pair of avid ultimate levers (canti version). awesome quality and feel.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
WTB-rider said:
Check eBay, tons of cantilever brake levers. Look for Suntour XC Comp or Pro, Diacompe SS-5 or SS-7 and Shimano Deore XT. You'll be able to get a set pretty cheaply.
Ritchey Logic levers are nice and show up every once in a while too.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
SS-5's are my all time favorite levers. Pretty damn light and in my opinion feel better than any avid, grafton, paul lever out there. The levers are also cold forged so they will take more than one fall and they are pretty much dirt cheap. I love them. I actually have a pair NOS for when i build up another bike with canti's. Or maybe I will get some road disks to use them with.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Avids, also Paul

fishy said:
i seriously doubt anything would be better than a pair of avid ultimate levers (canti version). awesome quality and feel.
I love Avid Ultimates. I like Pauls also - they're nice, and sturdy. I don't like the shape of the often-spendy Graftons. Kookas are ok, but have that funky neoprene-like blade covers. I have a pair of Campy ORs as well. They're nice, but not worth the $$$ that they go for on ebay.

·
those are Rollercams...
1,894 Posts
ssmike said:
Ritchey Logic levers are nice and show up every once in a while too.
Never used them but they look nice.

Completely off topic Mike, after having you wave your Puma II's and Sidi Cross shoes under my nose for the past year, I finally located a pair of Sidi touring shoes. Very vintage, very retro, very classic. ;)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Agree 100% with the Avid Ultimate Cantis

I actually have a very similar pair of silver of Avid SD-2.0 cantis. I bought them almost 12 years ago from my LBS (they told me they we V compatible, not quite in reality that would require the V chip upgrade). They've been lost in a parts bin since about 1996. They have a nice moto look to them & they have the Speed Dial, which is sweet for cantis but no view ports. Here's a pic. Been saving them in case I ever convert my jake the snake to flat bar, but I doubt that's ever gonna happen. email me if interested in a trade or whatever. They'll polish up nicely. [email protected]. Thanks - Scott-NJ

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
WTB-rider said:
Never used them but they look nice.

Completely off topic Mike, after having you wave your Puma II's and Sidi Cross shoes under my nose for the past year, I finally located a pair of Sidi touring shoes. Very vintage, very retro, very classic. ;)
Very cool! Glad you can feed your shoe fetish. I never used Ritchey levers until a couple of weeks ago. Installed a lot of pairs on customer's bikes, but never on my own until I picked up a 23" Ritchey Crazy Pete and installed a some NOS Logic levers to go with the Logic cantis. Nice shape and good feel.

·
He be a moose too.
2,155 Posts
difference between cantilever & V-brake levers?

I just bought a 1990 Klein Attitude and I would like to use Paul's motolites for the front and not sure what for the rear. I'm not yet sure if with the Klein's internal routing tubes, v-brakes will work for the rear.

On my current bike, I have the Paul's brakes and a set of Avid Ultimate levers from 1999 (love 'em both) and would like to get the a set of Avid's same vintage if I can (I have a thing against black anodization for some reason).

Am I going to have problems with the levers if I use a v-brake and cantilever?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
V's normally use around double the cable pull. V levers on a canti brake should make for a perfectly nice lever level, super stiff, but the rim will seem like it's steel, simply slipping right through. Low leverage. The other way around (canti levers, V brakes) make for a very mushy feel and insane brake power.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,908 Posts
The original shimano spec called for 22 to 26mm pull on their v-levers (1996). Previous offerings of cantilever levers depended on brand model from a really small 13mm (Crystal Design BadFinger) to 22mm (Shimano SLR DX/XT 2-finger). Avid Ultimates ran up to 18mm as I recall, Deore XT/DX and XTR servo wave were 17mm, DiaCompe SS-5/7s were 16mm, and the Tektro levers I like using are 19mm. I think Real's levers with its two position anchor location was 17 and 18mm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts