Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 09 wahoo and I want to upgrade my front fork. I was looking at a Tora 318 air, but I was wondering if there is anything considerably better than that for maybe $100 more. My price range is around $350-$400. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks! The only problem is it needs to have V brake mounts. I don't have the money right now to upgrade to both disc brakes and a new fork and I have decided to get a new fork first.

·
Banned
70 Posts
pricepoint has a 2009 Marzocchi 33 TST2 for $209.00, fits your needs with 100mm travel and v brake compatable.I have one that is disc brake only, the great thing is these have 32 mm stanchions, I will never go back to 30mm as they are to flexable.I like this fork, a bit crude in regards to feeling plush on small bumps, I have never had a problem with marzocchi, this ones ugly but the price is right, has adjustable rebound/lockout that is near the same as adjustable rockshox motion control with out the extra cost.you want to spend $400.00 on a $550.00 bike? you need lockout and adjustable compression? riding a fork without stable platform or lock out is miserable unless you like fork bob.I have a recon 351 coil thats at the upper end of your price...great fork but not much better then my Marz 33, research what you want in regards to stable platform? cheap forks don't have it.You have a nice bike I suggest the marz 33 and the leftover money to buy avid single digit 7 v brakes and single digit levers for about $90.00.those tektros suck,you would have one sweet bike for sure.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
I'd search around for a Manitou R7 or Drake... You can find the better ones with TPC dampening, sometimes Absolute, with brake bosses for under $400 on closeout. There's tons on Ebay right now.

Rock Shox has the Recon too, which is a pretty good fork, a step up from the Tora, similar to the Reba's.

I'm not above buying used forks either... Fresh seals, an oil change and you're usually good to go. Fox forks are good used forks to buy cause you can get them cheap, and send them off to Push Industries and it comes back better than new for half the price.. http://cgi.ebay.com/Fox-Float-100-R...Cycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1c0ebb1609

·
Banned
70 Posts
are your shifters seperate from brake levers? if so you can use new brake levers with your OEM shifters.I have a 2004 ibex hardtail that had avid brakes and levers...big improvement over your tektro, you would be quite pleased I think.contact pricepoint for the right parts .I believe no one makes a premium 8 speed shifters if you are considering, maybe consider converting to 9 speed? I am not sure if you can, you have a nice frame that is worth upgrading to a certain point thats why I suggested the marzzocchi 33 since it is a very good value for a 32 mm fork.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
I'd recommend staying away from the that 2009 Marzocchi TST2 as their 2009 forks suffered from quality control issues. They also tend to be over weight and the RS Motion Control damper is superior to the TST2. Also, a well set up fork doesn't really need lockout, unless you're climbing on a road, or platform damping definitely has no place on a fork.

If you're looking for something a little nicer than the Tora, look at the Recon line, or even a Reba. As has also been suggested, the R7 is a nice option, so long as you stay away from SPV. I've seen those brand new for pretty cheap.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
gilhop said:
i would have to get new shifters if i got new levers correct?
You know, just stick with your Tora idea... It appears to be a fine fork. The motion control dampening is a good product, it has a lockout if you really need to stand up and hammer. The only downside is weight, 5lbs is a little heavy for an xc fork. If you bump up to a Recon or a Reba, you can get a fork with an aluminum steerer and hollow crown, which could save you a pound, for around 400 or less.

Otherwise try to find one of the Manitou's we suggested, great forks. Stay away from that lowend Marzocchi stuff, chances of headaches are far higher...

·
Banned
70 Posts
badmechanic is that a fact? I have 1k on this fork with no problem, you are not objective, platform forks are expensive at least the good ones, lock out is useful for me and many others, maybe not you because your "special" never had a problem with any marz that includes 2004 marathon 2004 mx and others.putting a 500.00 fork on a 550.00 bike is questionable.a five pound fork is an acceptable weight for a trail bike, superior? says who? you? who are you?obviously not objective and not right about everything.the recon is 9oz lighter......big deal unless you are racing, tora? about the same weight, trail bikes do not have to be crosscountry racerboy light, 25-32 lbs is acceptable according to mbt action.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
sexytime said:
badmechanic is that a fact? I have 1k on this fork with no problem, you are not objective, platform forks are expensive at least the good ones, lock out is useful for me and many others, maybe not you because your "special" never had a problem with any marz that includes 2004 marathon 2004 mx and others.putting a 500.00 fork on a 550.00 bike is questionable.a five pound fork is an acceptable weight for a trail bike, superior? says who? you? who are you?obviously not objective and not right about everything.the recon is 9oz lighter......big deal unless you are racing, tora? about the same weight, trail bikes do not have to be crosscountry racerboy light, 25-32 lbs is acceptable according to mbt action.
Whoa... Web rage... Easy on the Pepsi, feller.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
hey, I was just cruising around and I came across the new lower cost manitou xc fork. http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=details&Affiliate=1&PageID=30&SKU=FK5325

It has the same dampening as their highest end XC forks, it's just a little heavier, due to the steel stanchions. Pound for pound, this is probably the best performing fork you're going to get in this price range. There's even a remote lockout, the MILO, available if you're into that sort of thing. Cost's another 50 bucks, but it includes the remote lever and the Absolute+ dampener, so you could pull the existing one and resell it on Ebay.

If I was in your boat, this course i'd navigate...

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
sexytime said:
25-32 lbs is acceptable according to mbt action.
Whoa! you cited mtbF! That's awesome!

Anyway, the tora 318 coil is substantially better than the 318 air. They're both heavy, but the tora air spring is a high volume unit that sucks even by air spring standards. The marzo 33 option is not in the same league. Inferior 'damping' and no spring options. A recon coil is a tora 318 coil with less weight. I'm not really a manitou fan, but i've had 2 of them and the nicer one (a minute) was much better constructed, although its spv damping sucked compared to tpc. I would get one again if it had the right combination of features and quality, i guess.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
mattsavage said:
You know, just stick with your Tora idea... It appears to be a fine fork. The motion control dampening is a good product, it has a lockout if you really need to stand up and hammer. The only downside is weight, 5lbs is a little heavy for an xc fork. If you bump up to a Recon or a Reba, you can get a fork with an aluminum steerer and hollow crown, which could save you a pound, for around 400 or less.

Otherwise try to find one of the Manitou's we suggested, great forks. Stay away from that lowend Marzocchi stuff, chances of headaches are far higher...
There were some 318 Solo Air Toras available with aluminum steerers (I had one), but the Recon also has aluminum stanchions so it is lighter still.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
gil, call wheelworld.com and see if they have any of the recon sl in stock. if so, AND the steer tube length will work for you, pretty good buy for $200. I got my reba from them and saved a ton of cash. It is an OEM fork if that matters to you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.