Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes a 29"er, single speed, ISO disc, _only_ frame?

A Karate Mokey would be _almost_ ideal except for all the extra braze-ons and derr-hanger, and canti brake bosses..... I do NOT want a frame with the extra braze-ons as they would be a danger to the rider, in that they coulld snag on clothing or flesh and bodyparts in a wreck or diving tackle.

·
No Reputation!
1,720 Posts
Custom now, maybe Fisher next year

Nobody currently makes the frame you are talking about right now but that may change in the 2005 model year. Maybe you should get a KM just to "tide you over" if you're in a hurry...you'll be able to sell it next year pretty well...or keep it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
dremel tool?

but seriously, in around this board a little, there are only about 50. Check out the
FAQ above, and you will find a list of all the 29er frame builders, many of which will make you a SS.

Not only is GF reported to have one coming at a particularly tasty price point, but you can get a ss disc 29 frame from someone like waltworks.com or spend as much as you can imagine by going with jonesbikes or matt chester.

good luck, but look around a little, it will make your head spin

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fastskiguy said:
Maybe you should get a KM just to "tide you over" if you're in a hurry....
I'm in no _great_ hurry, I've got a Redline MonoCog to fill the current need, but I do require disc brakes and as long as I'm building up a new frame, I would like 29"

If I were to get a KM I'd need to apply and anle-grinder to remove the braze-ons. The concern about snagging myself or someone else on them in a wreck is a valid one for me (see my profile)

Fastskiguy said:
or keep it.
Yeah.... Riiiiiiight.
My wife was okay with the Custom Ti hard-tail, she barely tolerates the cutom Ti CycloCross...... She was even okay with the Redline Monocog. I can probably slip this "just ONE more bike" past her on the grounds of "work related equpment", since I NEED the disc brakes for reliable braking once contaminated with the slippery clay-based Mississippi mud, beer, urine, vomit, on Beale St.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
NoDunut4U said:
A Karate Mokey would be _almost_ ideal except for all the extra braze-ons and derr-hanger, and canti brake bosses..... I do NOT want a frame with the extra braze-ons as they would be a danger to the rider, in that they coulld snag on clothing or flesh and bodyparts in a wreck or diving tackle.
Fastskiguy is incorrect. Not only are they available and made, but I have one, new with plastic wrap on it for sale in a post just a few threads below. I just added a bunch of photo's yesterday. Very cheap, so much so in fact, that you could probably afford my disc only wheelset that is also for sale.

-N

[email protected]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Check out Spot...

They made mine disc only. They are great to deal with and it took about four weeks. The cost was about $775.00. I think a pretty good deal for a light, great handling steel frame.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ncj01 said:
Not only are they available and made, but I have one, new with plastic wrap on it for sale in a post just a few threads below.
Nice frame.... I'm a bit skeer't of Aluminium, but if the price is right, it could be worht the price of admission to the party. Love the color though.

Very cheap,]
E-Mail me.. well talk.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
NoDunut4U said:
Nice frame.... I'm a bit skeer't of Aluminium, but if the price is right, it could be worht the price of admission to the party. Love the color though.
E-Mail me.. well talk.
250 shipped via Fed Ex for the Frame
*includes new Ritchey HS, photo'd
*includes new matching orange/black grips, photo'd
*includes new LX BB - square taper, photo'd

350 shipped via Fed Ex for the AmClass/Bonty Mustang disc only wheels.
*doesn't include cassette
*doesn't include skewers

80 for new King HS, black
*only if you buy frame or wheels, or both

;-)

N
[email protected]

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
Have never...

ever snagged anything on the canti mounts on any of my frames. Unless you are worried about pure asthetics... I can understand that. But, from a functional point of view: if you are going to snag on the canti-mounts without brakes attached to them then you are going to snag on the canti mounts with brakes attached... no? That would mean that all bikes with canti mounts are unsafe. Since most bikes have canti mounts that would mean that most bikes are unsafe according to that logic.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
motoman711 said:
ever snagged anything on the canti mounts on any of my frames. Unless you are worried about pure asthetics... I can understand that. But, from a functional point of view: if you are going to snag on the canti-mounts without brakes attached to them then you are going to snag on the canti mounts with brakes attached... no? That would mean that all bikes with canti mounts are unsafe. Since most bikes have canti mounts that would mean that most bikes are unsafe according to that logic.
I'm more concerned with needless things on the top-tube.. I once flayed open my inner thigh in a most unsightly (jagged/tearing type of) wound on a top-tube mounted cable-guide durring a diving tackle off the bike. Granted not something most riders would be doing (Unless my new sport of Bike Rugby catches on;[-)

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Nathan, you can only use (refer to) a classifieds ad on a forum once. Otherwise we'd get a mile long summary of references to ads for any rider asking a question. Already, the techtalk/sale/spam ratio on this board is chaning rapidly, we have to keep that in check together.
You can PM members on things you offer, and if they don't take PM's or emails, you can assume they are not interested in pre-owned stuff.

Thanks,

MTBR

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
custom....

if you can wait, i'd say go custom ebb. teesdale and walt works (walt is a regular in this 29er board) are some guys that can build you a nice frame for excellent prices. since you want disc only, no other braze-ons, and you said you can wait, i think custom would be your best bet.

if you don't have to have a ebb, then here are a few options, spot and kelly (what it ride) come to mind...but just the thought of horizontal dropouts and a disc brake in the rear gives me nightmares. i run a mono mini up front and a aiv v in the rear on my kelly, and that set up works great!

cheers!

NoDunut4U said:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.