Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never met Nick but have had frequent conversations on these forums with him and felt through his posts that I knew something about him. I thought it would be nice to have a thread about Nick in remembrance of him. I'm encouraging anyone that has some memory of Nick to post it in his honor. Maybe someone can make this a sticky.

Nick seemed like a super nice guy and he always seemed to be light hearted with a good sense of humor. I got a taste of that humor when I was bouncing around about whether to buy a 575 or possibly some other bike. Known only to me at the time as BelaySlave he created a new post entitled The OFFICIAL "When will iviguy finally get his 575?" contest

It's one thing to be funny and have a great sense of humor but on top of that Nick was very gracious and just a nice guy. I found that out when I had actually ordered the 575 and received the new bike. I started kidding with Nick about him sending me a Yeti glass too since I'm the reason for the contest. See he had never intended to send me one, the contest was for whoever guessed the date I received the bike without going over. So I was kidding around with him about getting my glass as well as him sending one to the winner and it was all in fun. But let me tell you where I saw a little of Nick's graciousness. He willingly sent me and k1creeker a glass. I think he knew that was never part of the deal but he never once complained and seemed more than willing to do it. CONGRATS to iviguy and k1creeker!!!!

I really wanted to meet Nick. I'm sure he will be sorely missed and I know he will be on this forum. He was someone that everyone on this forum knew and liked. My prayers will go out for his family and loved ones.

·
Who is John Galt?
1,771 Posts
I think I came on board when that glass got sent, and I recall wondering what the rest of the story was. Thanks for sharing that.

today I rode the Yeti to work in his honor, you all will rmember his posts on taking his bike on the road, with 60 pounds of air in the tires. On the way i got to thinking, at one of my favorite trails there are benches put there in memory of cyclists who had died. Any chance there is some place in Boise where we could do something similar in his honor? If so, I would be the first to buck up. How about it Flip and RRB, can you think of some suitable memorial? Maybe there's already something in the works.

Well, I'm off for my commute home. Had a nice ride in despite the effects of riding a 30-pound bike with knobby tires up a mile long grade! Wish Yeti still made a roadie.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Big Jim Mac said:
On the way i got to thinking, at one of my favorite trails there are benches put there in memory of cyclists who had died. Any chance there is some place in Boise where we could do something similar in his honor?
I'd be honored to contribute to that.

Can a moderator move this thread to the Passion forum?

·
Registered
695 Posts
When I first read the post in the Idaho forum after it was first posted, I did not know it was BelaySlave...once I put the pieces together...very sad.

When I first came to mtbr, I lurked in the yeti forum because I thought that was going to be my next purchase. Read his posts and his screen name stuck in my head...most likely because he exuded such a positive vibe...if that makes sense. One of the peeps you would want to see what they were saying. Pretty clear from the responses of others that he had a similar impact on those who knew him personally and through this board. RIP Nick

·
Life is Good
1,494 Posts
That's terrible news to me. My prayers and condolences to his family and friends.

I've never talked to him outside of one thread where we briefly talked about climbing. Even in the few words we've shared, you could tell what a nice and friendly guy he was. Rest in peace, buddy.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Sad news indeed. My condolences go out to his family and friends.

Sadly, we had a similar incident here in NY a few days ago...a mid 20s gentleman who had a previous heart surgery (but was in fantastic shape) had a massive heart attack and died before he even hit the ground.

·
I like Squishy Bikes
1,098 Posts
bummer

so sorry to hear this,
My thoughts & prayers go out to his friends & family.

God Speed

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
Big Jim Mac said:
I think I came on board when that glass got sent, and I recall wondering what the rest of the story was. Thanks for sharing that.

today I rode the Yeti to work in his honor, you all will rmember his posts on taking his bike on the road, with 60 pounds of air in the tires. On the way i got to thinking, at one of my favorite trails there are benches put there in memory of cyclists who had died. Any chance there is some place in Boise where we could do something similar in his honor? If so, I would be the first to buck up. How about it Flip and RRB, can you think of some suitable memorial? Maybe there's already something in the works.

Well, I'm off for my commute home. Had a nice ride in despite the effects of riding a 30-pound bike with knobby tires up a mile long grade! Wish Yeti still made a roadie.
There is a local trail up in the hill overlooking Boise that is currently being built entirely by hand and by volunteer work. Nick has hours of sweat and probably blood equity in the trailwork as he wielded a Pulaski and a McLeod to help build sections of the singletrack. We are trying to get it named after him but there is a protocol for naming public trails so we are considering trying to name the trail the "Mahalo" trail in honor of Nick. But as all trails, the commonly known name and the trail's official name frequently are not the same. In my mind, I will always call Nick's favorite trail system in town (officially known as the Military Reserve), "Nick's Loops".

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Wow, A few days away from the board and I see this. I never met Nick, but he always seemed like a pretty cool guy from his posts. He will be missed.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
Crap. While I didn't know him, it's still sad news. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Rest in peace, Nick. 34 years old is way too young!

I DO want to go like that (quickly and during a ride, yet), but I want to be 90 when it happens.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Wow, that is sad indeed.

Many of us only know eachother as a fellow poster/ occasional paragraph of text here on the boards and yet there is still a connection few could understand. RIP Nick.

·
Something's tingling
154 Posts
So sad...

My deepest condolences go out to his family.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts