Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So prior to now i have normally just gone to the bike shop and purchased the cheapest tires i found. Now that I have a real job I dont mind paying a bit more for some tires.

I currently am building my single speed - which is what needs new tires. However I have thought of taking the tires off my FS which is 1 year old and putting those on the SS and buying new tires for the FS since it is my primary ride.

The FS has the orginal Bontrager Jones XR on the front and a Continental Explorer on the rear (had a huge downhill blowout - blew out a quarter sized hole in the tire itself - not a tare a literal chunk of rubber was missing).

I also have a spare Continental Explorer (they were the cheapest repair tire on an week long excursion).

I mainly ride hardpack, loose and sandy in the turns though, and roots.

I was considering a Panaracer Smoke/Dart combo or a Maxxis Monorail (front) and Crossmark (rear).

Thoughts/Suggestions?

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
If you want to go with Maxxis, try a 2.4 Ardent up front and a 2.1 Advantage or 2.1 CrossMark in the rear. This upgrade will allow your EX8 to come to life. You'll think you are riding a new bike.

I've found the Bonty ACX Jones to be a tire that takes to modding very well, but as far as stock, leaves a lot to be desired. I've never been impressed with the XR.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard multiple people say they didnt like those bontrager shoes on the EX's...I don't either after one darn near killed me when it blew out on a high speed downhill.

I will check the Maxxis - they all seem to have good reviews.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts