Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that I am asking for the best of both worlds here, but I need a tire that will accept regular street use and still gimme the grip I need in the dirt. I am willing to to have a tire that is more dirt biased, but it needs to be better than the hutchinson mosquitos that came on my bike. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Hutch Pythons, Mich XC Dry will be better than Mosquitos on the road, but not great on loose or rocky dirt. I ran an XC Dry on the back of my XC/trail bike last year and it rolled pretty well on the road, and was good on the trails. On the front traction matters a bit more though.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
vmajor said:
Mosquitos looks a little odd - a small knob mud tire. I cannot imagine which niche condition that tire would actually work very well in.

In my experience the most reliable choice for what you describe are Maxxis Holy Roller

V.
The Mosquito was a love it or hate it tire. There was a very narrow conditions band where I actually liked it.

I would agree with the Holy Roller (or Kenda K-Rad) as a suitable tire. Both will wear and grip fairly well on pavement and be OK on dry trails. neither will ever be as good as a set of road tires for commuting and a set of full knobbies for the trails.

The issue with trying to use one tire for every thing is the best dirt tires have poor traction and wear quickly on pavement. Once they wear down the traction on dirt suffers and you are back to a tire that is bad everywhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.