Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a carbon stumpy with a nice new wheel set with tubeless specialized roll x's. I'm looking to put a wider tire up front and a little wider out back. Right now I have 2.0's front and back. I was looking at WTB's I was thinking of putting something really grippy up front and something a little faster in the back. 2.3 or 2.2 up front and probably 2.1 in the back. I do almost all of my riding at annadel or tamarancho. Is this is a good idea or am I not making a smart decision? I don't remember the names of the WTB tires I was looking at I'm not sure but I think I was looking at weirwolf's for the front and exiwolf for the back. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Older than I feel
1,915 Posts
What can you tell us about your experience level, riding style, body weight, etc.? What don't you like about your current tires? Are they worn out or you just want a change? Are you looking for more grip, faster rolling, more "cush", ???

Check out Shiggy's site, he's got a lot of info about tires.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My experience isn't the highest. I've been riding for a year but I ride almost everyday. I just moved a block away from a trail head in annadel and since I've lived here I average 15 miles a day. I weight about 150 and ride a medium...the roll x's are worn they; were good to me but I want to try something different. The only other tires I know were the stock ones. Another problem I'm having is since I got back from vacation I've had to add air to tires every day. I put some stans in there two days ago and their still losing air. Is this normal for ust tubeless?

·
Older than I feel
1,915 Posts
I had good experience with Panaracer Cinders in the 2.25 size on Peninsula and South Bay trails until I sold the bike. They're a good all purpose tire and they show up on sale at times. But the 2.25 is an honest measurement - be sure you have enough clearance.

That said, I'm not sure someone your size would benefit from really big tires unless you're on a hardtail or riding over serious rough stuff and looking for a little "tire suspension". The big tires tend to weigh a bunch more than the smaller ones, and that extra weight slows you down on the climbs. IMHO 2.1 should be big enough for most purposes.

I know nothing about UST, but someone here will probably chime in on that question.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I found that most people either love or hate the Spesh Resolutions. They come in UST or tubed in 2.1 or 2.3. I run them as a rear tire right now, and they hook up beautifully in Annadel and Tamarancho, and also do beautifully in the foothills. My riding weight is 190 with gear. I can't decide on a front tire yet, I currently have a Fire XC Pro, but want something wider, and am going to try a Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 UST next.

My roomate runs a UST 2.1 Weirwolf in the front and needs it at super low PSI to make it a consistent tire, keep in mind he is a pretty small guy.

I've been dying to try the Schwalbe Nobby Nics, but the price is hard to swallow as they are like $70 shipped, and I don't think there is a shop in the bay that sells them. But I think this is universally agreed as being the UST tire, with a disadvantage being that the older versions have weaker sidewalls.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
chucko58 said:
I had good experience with Panaracer Cinders in the 2.25 size on Peninsula and South Bay trails until I sold the bike. They're a good all purpose tire and they show up on sale at times. But the 2.25 is an honest measurement - be sure you have enough clearance.
I second the Cinders. They are my favorite tire in the but- err, rear, w/ a P-racer Fire 2.4 in front. They are both big tires, with lots of meat on the tread, which helps by giving you a little extra suspension. They seem to cut thru loose dirt & seek out traction on the hardpack below. Stay clear of the Fires in the narrow version, though. Totally different tire, and Performance is selling a version that should be recalled.

They may be a little heavier than other "race" tires, and as Chuck stated, they show up on sale sometimes and imho, are well worth an I-net search for the extra cush and traction.

fp

·
Registered
275 Posts
Although this obviously has a lot to do with rider preference, I have to agree with chucko58 that 2.1's should be the right size tire for where you ride and your size. I started riding with 2.3's at Annadel and Tamarancho, but it just seemed like too much extra weight to push around and my bike felt pretty sluggish. When I switched to 2.1's, my bike definitely felt much quicker and more nimble and I didn't feel like I was sacrificing any traction, cushion or cornering grip at all. For background information, I ride a Turner 5-Spot and weigh 165lbs.

I rode tubeless with standard (not UST) 2.1 WTB Weirwolf tires with Stan's sealant for about a year and a half in those areas and absolutely loved them. They wore very well, had great traction and cornering grip, and were very durable. I am now riding on 2.25 Nobby Nics with SnakeSkin (which are really more like a 2.1). I also ride them in a standard tire with Stan's sealant. Both the Weirwolf and NN sealed fairly easily for me with the Stans. I feel that the NN's are at least equal to the Weirwolf in every aspect so far. However, the NN's are a bit lighter and also do seem to roll a bit better. My only unanswered question with them is regarding their durability since I have only had them for about a month. Hopefully the SnakeSkin will help protect the sidewalls. I definitely would not hesitate to recommend either of these tires to anyone who rides in Annadel and Tamarancho.

Good-luck.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Big front tires nice for general riding

as are the bigger tires. My local shop ride guys all have a 2.3 in front at least with a 2.1 in back. I ride at 2.3 Nevegal on my front and a 2.1 Velociraptor on the back on my Stumpy Pro. I use it on the more tech stuff.

On my Racelite I run a 2.0 Blue Groove front and a 1.95 Nevegal in back; they are quick and light and I use this on the fireroads and double track near my house.

My racers use this when we race. We go lighter as the courses are rarely as technically demanding as Tamarancho. This is not to day that Tamrancho or Annadel are extremely demanding but more so than race courses. We might go toothier for Boggs or skinnier and knobbier for bad mud.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.