Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Biker 4 Life
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo after riding about four hours this weekend on bear Mountain down some very loose, sandy steep single track I had a little spill and a downed tree branch decided to cut up my leg a bit. My riding buddy had a full first aid kit so I cleaned it as best I could, bandaged it and kept riding.

If I would have been wearing shin/knee guards I would have been ok. So I want some now.

I would like to keep the price to right around $70 or below. I'm currently looking at the Fox Launch guards. Any other ideas?

I use my XC bike for a little of everything and more dh than I should I guess.

Some pics:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Soccer shin guards would probably do the job. Although I haven't compared prices on shin guards, in most cases you'll pay twice the price for half the quality if you go with something bike-specific. But if you want the cool logo, you'll have to pay.

·
Biker 4 Life
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want something that works well. Does it's job. I don't mind if its bike specific or not. I'll look into sporting guards.

The most important feature for me is mobility. Unrestricted movement of the legs while riding.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
If a lot of your rides are a long uphill followed by a fast downhill I would look for pads that pack well.riding uphill with pads stinks.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Roach Rally / Race Face shin and knee guards are more or less the 'standard' which everybody and their grandmothers wear whenever the trail conditions become sketchy.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/mtb-apparel...ach/rally-fr-leg-armor/PRD_362881_134crx.aspx

They have saved my shins a good number of times from pedal strikes, trees and rocks. You can find them for about 50 bucks; less if you go for last years versions (which are no different).

As long as you size them correctly they will not inhibit mobility. Your LBS will probably have some, try them on if you can to be sure.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Then when you bang a knee, you'll want knee pads. And the elbows... there's a pad for that, too. I swear it never ends. :)

·
Biker 4 Life
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not afraid of banging myself up a bit. But something like this is easily avoided imo. At my age (36) I don't heal as well or as fast as I once did and avoiding damage to myself when possible is kinda cool.

Thanks all for your input. I will look into those Roach rally guards.

·
Biker 4 Life
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm heading over the Jenson USA tomorrow morning to try on the RaceFace Rally FR guards. If they fit well I'll buy 'em.

·
Biker 4 Life
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually tried on some Fox launch pads but they just didn't seem to fit me well, (though they look bad ass!) The Race Face Rally pads fit awesome though so i bought them. I tried on the FR and DH versions of the Race Face Rally pad and I liked everythign about the FR version the best except the DH version had this nice round pad that rests behind the knee at the crease in your leg. I really liked that and I don't know why they did not offer it on the FR version.

Now I just have to wait for my leg to heal up a little before using the new pads. Those cuts might not look bad but they sure are deep.

·
Registered
324 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts