Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, looking to do the C&O canal in early August, but I would need a BOB trailer to really make the trip possible, does any one know where I can rent one from ?

Any help is appreciated...

Thank you,

Zach Long
[email protected]

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
Unless you are hauling a keg of beer or gear for 2, I'd skip the BOB and run a rack and panniers. A BOB will weigh about 14# before it's even loaded and the more stuff you can stick in, the more you'll probably take.

I've done the entire canal several times with only a rear rack and smallish panniers (tent and sleeping stuff strapped on top of the rack). Summertime means being able to drop the weight and bulk of a heavy sleeping bag and allows for no tent or minimal tent.

Most people (myself included) take more gear than they need on their first trip. Dropping weight makes the ride much better. If you want some tips or info about doing the canal, just ask, I'd be happy to help.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Which way are you going?

You can rent them from the Trail Connection (bike shop) at the C&O trail head in Cumberland, MD. Not sure about on the other end of the trail. I am planning to do the trip as well this year but will be doing panniers on my bike. Bad thing is that my new 29er won't except a rack so I will have to ride my old bike.

·
Graphic Designer
224 Posts
I've read about this trail a lot, and done some of the other trails in the DC area...is this a fairly flat ride, or is it up and down mountains? I think that would make a diff in the trailer vs. carry all decision. Also, if I did this, a trailer would be wayy too much. If you can't carry it somehow, find a way to leave it at home.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
It is 184 miles of flat. Well almost. Cumberland, MD to DC is very slightly downhill, like a 1% grade or something so of course the other way is "uphill" but there are no mountains or hills to climb. If you do the ENTIRE trail which include the GAP then from Cumberland to Pittsburgh, PA from what I understand there are more inclines but still nothing great.

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
wiretapstudios said:
I've read about this trail a lot, and done some of the other trails in the DC area...is this a fairly flat ride, or is it up and down mountains? I think that would make a diff in the trailer vs. carry all decision. Also, if I did this, a trailer would be wayy too much. If you can't carry it somehow, find a way to leave it at home.
It's basically flat (< 3% grade, downhill from Cumberland to DC). The DC portion is more groomed than parts west where it can be rutted, rooty and bumpy, but it is by no means an MTB trail. I usually run cyclocross tires 32 - 35mm wide.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts