Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Giant Warp DS1 '03. American Spec.

I'm in love with it... I've been doing some math and I realized I could have a terrific bike just making some "unsensible" upgrades.

I'll keep the Avids. But I'll go for a 7" rotor up front. The Manitou Axel will fly away and a Zoke MX Comp w/ETA will take over in the suspension duties. At the rear end, I'll get either a Romic or will PUSH a Vanilla R (If I can find one in 7.5X2 as needed).

Some parts in the cokpit will be ligther and a Deore crankset with octalink will take cranking job. FD will go away to fit a LX or Deore. Some SRAM RD, Chain, and shifters should be cool too but the drivetrain will be replaced only as parts die. Current works fine.

I'd like XT hubs with Mavic Disc-specific rims and some Stan's No tubes down in the rubber. I know this is by far more expensive than the whole bike but I find it dificult to find a better ride here in Mexico and with a wife and baby coming into my life a full bike (better than the Warp) is out of thinking.

I'm light both riding and in weight so the frame seems like able to withstand some seasons...

What do you think??

·
Registered
241 Posts
sounds great. have fun on it.

my friend found a great deal on some rockshox psylo sl's and they work great on the bike.
hes gonna upgrade forks, rear shock, and drivetrain also.
when your done with the bike, can you tell me how it worked out in the end.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
few days after I posted this thread...

I had to sell the bike away.... I had a very bad money problem and sold the bike.

For my new ride, the Warp is still on top of the list.

Peace.

·
I live to bike
2,428 Posts
sorry to hear

that you had to sell your bike. The Warp is a good, fun bike. Some don't like it because it's cheap--but you're right, with some upgrades it can be a great bike. A little heavier than some, but still, I manage to get mine up the hills, and down is great! I've enjoyed my Warp, but I'm saving up to build a VT. Meanwhile, I am going to continue to ride the hell out of my Warp!

·
Tater Like'um Bike Ridez!
112 Posts
Fair well to your all-weather friend...

Warp2003 said:
I had to sell the bike away.... I had a very bad money problem and sold the bike.

Hey man, sorry to hear you had to hock the Warp! I'd be lost without mine. I just rode it UP Killington today, so HA to all you ppl who say it's a piece of heavy junk. It can take a five foot drop no prob with stock springs (including the xtra worthless RS judy xc 100mm), keep up with a Balfa 2-step with Boxxers on the DH runs, and hold a straight line down Expert ski trails with no singletrack burned in.

If you go for another Warp, the 7" rotors work excellent for the avid Mechs, the only prob I've had since install is I bent the front rotor falling off a log bridge. Got what I deserve for that one, i guess. :)

Just an FYI... I've been having real issues getting Giant to do anything for me as far as warranty issues go though. I bent my seat after maybe 60 days and they never even responded to my LBS/giant dealer who was trying to get me a new one. Now my warranty is up and I'm outta luck. I won't be getting another Giant bike ever again, but I'll do my best to see how long the Warp lasts, just cuz it makes ppl mad when I bomb past them on their Intenses, etc... lol

Good luck man! Mebbe I'll be lookin to sell mine next year, but then again maybe not. ;)

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much....

For your wishes. I used to do the same with a bike I had way before the Warp. I used to outclimb (on a tarmac road) to guys on Specializeds FRS and stuff like that.

It was some of the better times of my life as you could see the guy rearing his head and see that piece of 20kg of iron catching him up and then when I passed them they tried to catch me but they just couldn't.... and the very same on the way down.

With the Warp it was different. It's a bad climber (I must accept it). But you can leave them to laugh as long as the climb lasts 'cos the way down gives you a more than sweet revenge... jeje. I love the Warp chassis. It's point and shoot even with the WTB motoraptors and crappy forks they have (the Axel on the '03 was not that bad).

Hey.... take care of your bike. I might be buying it next year. Seriously. Would you like to get it shipped to mexico for it to continue with a life of bombing???

Cheers!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.