Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I like to do as much of my own shock and fork maintenance as I can, but the regular maintenance on the Fox X2 is a bridge too far. I've done a couple services now by shipping back to Fox, but I'd really love to be able to schedule and take it in to a local shop and pick it up in a couple of days later. I'm near Santa Rosa, CA. That said, it's worth it for me to drive a little further when I need to take it in versus mailing it in and hoping to get it back in a week (or 2 or 3).

Who do you use?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are no local shops that can service an X2.
I played this game earlier this year when fox was quoting 6 week turn around times.
check out traillabs.com
I used them and it worked great.
Thanks Mick-e. I ended up with my shock out for ~2mo back in feb/mar and hoping to avoid a repeat of that. I know Full Flow in Auburn has a good reputation, and they're relatively close. Maybe I should just suck it up and buy the tools, looks like cnc'd equivalents can be purchased for <$200 on ebay at this point. Just hate the logistics and time off the bike.

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,656 Posts
I bought all the tools to do my own x2 service, and it has been pretty awesome to be able to handle all on my own. But it is not for the faint of heart. Done incorrectly and you can destroy the shock with ease. Mostly due to stripping the shaft or damaging the shock body in the shaft clamps, which will deem the shock worthless until you replace them. If you do, buy the steel clamps with the inserts, over the softer alloy. Either way get the clamps with the stabilizer pins, and inserts, if you do. If you are patient, and take your time, and follow the directions, it's not impossible. I have I think like $200 into the tools. IFP tool, clamps, oil.. Seal kit was, I think, $75?

Here is a video from Fox that gave me some inspiration to do my own. In no part of my process was mine anywhere near this smooth, but after a few times now, I am getting more efficient. I even did the adjustment knob seals on my last one.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought all the tools to do my own x2 service, and it has been pretty awesome to be able to handle all on my own. But it is not for the faint of heart. Done incorrectly and you can destroy the shock with ease. Mostly due to stripping the shaft or damaging the shock body in the shaft clamps, which will deem the shock worthless. If you do, buy the steel clamps not the alloy due to the softer metal alloy is. If you are patient, and take your time, and follow the directions, it's not impossible. I have I think like $200 into the tools. IFP tool, clamps, oil.. Seal kit was, I think, $75?

Here is a video from Fox that gave me some inspiration to do my own. In no part of my process was mine anywhere near this smooth, but after a few times now, I am getting more efficient. I even did the adjustment knob seals on my last one.

Thanks twowheelmotion and thanks for the suggestions. As much as I like this X2 when riding it, it's frustrating to have to be without for so long when I ship it off for service.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Thanks twowheelmotion and thanks for the suggestions. As much as I like this X2 when riding it, it's frustrating to have to be without for so long when I ship it off for service.
I was hoping someone would have recommended a shop in tune that could at least do an air can service.

I'll keep a more inexpensive shock as back up when I have to send shocks in.

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,656 Posts
I was hoping someone would have recommended a shop in tune that could at least do an air can service.

As mentioned- Full Flow in Auburn. Full Flow Suspension

Air can "service" isn't really a thing on the X2 like it is on other shocks. 9 times out of 10, the X2 is working funky due to aerated damper oil, which is a common issue after ample use with the x2, at least from my experience. If all you want to do is clean the can and the seals, that's a 20 minute job with some basic tools, seal lube, float fluid, and a vice, and any shop should be able to perform that.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just sent my X2 out for service today, damper failed. Thank god there's a shop in Long Island NY that's close to me and his turnaround time is only 2 days. I watched the videos on how to DIY, I'll shop for tools and maybe tackle it myself the next time around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I like to do as much of my own shock and fork maintenance as I can, but the regular maintenance on the Fox X2 is a bridge too far. I've done a couple services now by shipping back to Fox, but I'd really love to be able to schedule and take it in to a local shop and pick it up in a couple of days later. I'm near Santa Rosa, CA. That said, it's worth it for me to drive a little further when I need to take it in versus mailing it in and hoping to get it back in a week (or 2 or 3).

Who do you use?
I use TuneMTB in Rochester, NY. They are the best around. As you have seen, it takes a special skill set that many shops do not have internally. Dozens of shops outsource their fork/shock work to TuneMTB. Go their website and/or facebook page. Ask for Kevin. I'm not affiliated, just a fanboy!

·
Registered
99 Posts

Who do you use?
I could be wrong, but I believe I heard that FOX recently implemented an online scheduling tool to make service appointments. This allows you to wait until your appt to return the product and get a very short turn around time. Might be worth checking.

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,656 Posts
I could be wrong, but I believe I heard that FOX recently implemented an online scheduling tool to make service appointments. This allows you to wait until your appt to return the product and get a very short turn around time. Might be worth checking.
Yeah they need that because my previous instance, I drove to Reno to pick up my stuff.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Like TwoWheelMotion said, there's not really a simple "aircan" service on the X2. Because of it's tube-in-tube design (and the special tools required to (dis/re)assemble) the regular service is quite involved. 40 steps+10 step manual bleed procedure. The video he linked is a good overview.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought all the tools to do my own x2 service, and it has been pretty awesome to be able to handle all on my own. But it is not for the faint of heart. Done incorrectly and you can destroy the shock with ease. Mostly due to stripping the shaft or damaging the shock body in the shaft clamps, which will deem the shock worthless until you replace them. If you do, buy the steel clamps with the inserts, over the softer alloy. Either way get the clamps with the stabilizer pins, and inserts, if you do. If you are patient, and take your time, and follow the directions, it's not impossible. I have I think like $200 into the tools. IFP tool, clamps, oil.. Seal kit was, I think, $75?

The basic set of tools I was considering was from these folks: 2016-2020 Fox Float X2 Shock Vise Clamp Sealhead Wrench+ Cartridge socket 4 DHx2 | eBay

Tool Hand tool Wood Bicycle part Auto part

They have a set of IFP guages as well. Only problem is it's 6061 Alu and your comment on the shaft clamp makes me a bit nervous. Still probably cheaper to buy something like this and just get a "good" set of shaft clamps with the right diameters. I do appreciate you sharing your experience.

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,656 Posts
The basic set of tools I was considering was from these folks: 2016-2020 Fox Float X2 Shock Vise Clamp Sealhead Wrench+ Cartridge socket 4 DHx2 | eBay

View attachment 1951177

They have a set of IFP guages as well. Only problem is it's 6061 Alu and your comment on the shaft clamp makes me a bit nervous. Still probably cheaper to buy something like this and just get a "good" set of shaft clamps with the right diameters. I do appreciate you sharing your experience.
I have that kit too and purchased it the first time I did my x2 and it worked. Immediate issue with this kit is the clamps don't want to stay in line with each other when torque is added to the vice, and the shaft did spin in the clamp until I cranked on the vice pretty hard, which was sketchy. Have to be super careful to ensure that does not happen, obviously. The new/better clamp I purchased is not the exact same as the link below, but it's very close. The wrench in that photo is just a cnc version of a bottom bracket tool linked below. Hope this helps!

·
Chump
77 Posts
FWIW, I just got my fork, shock, and seatpost back from Fox and their turnaround was only 10 days between when the package was picked up at my house by USPS to when it returned via UPS. When I submitted my RA request, I got an appointment date that was only two days in the future, so I wasn't going to get the gear shipped there by the recommended "3 days before your appointment." So I just shipped it out a couple of days later when I had a chance. I only had to do three rides on my backup bike before I was back on my main ride.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.