Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was surfing the web and I found this great article on how Specialized designed and built the new 2009 Epic. This is important because the new Epic is very similar in design to the Titus Racer-X and the follow on X. Jeff and the boys over at Titus will pick this frame apart bit by bit and cherry pick the best technology.

(Jeff are you boys paying attention?)

Oh we better give this project a cool name. “Operation Tiger”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2008/features/specialized_mtb_intro08

Sopwithcamel

·
K n e e m o i
506 Posts
Isn't specialized getting sued by notubes for their roval wheelsets?

Anyways, there is no original anymore. Just tells me that the RX design is good to begin with, otherwise Spesh would've stayed with the previous design. Everyone rips off everyone elses design, and just finds a way around the patent. (But Spesh owns the Horst Link patent, so.......) Automotive industries do it, everyone does it.

My take on this is, when you're comparing 5k bikes, there is no "this bike is better than that bike." anymore. It just comes down to geometry and what you prefer, and what kind of parts are on it.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
sopwithcamel said:
(Jeff are you boys paying attention?)
It looks like they have been doing so since like 8yrs ago that the Racer-X started to look to what today is the Epic.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong... but wasn't the Epic a bit heavy for a full blown XC Race bike? If so, I wouldn't be surprised to see them dropping 330grs off the frame.

Improvements on the Racer-X will not be as dramatic as it's been evolving slowly since.. what? 2001??

Yeah, off course Titus should keep improving, but I think they are in the right direction. Just a matter to continue doing like they've been doing.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Daffunda said:
Isn't specialized getting sued by notubes for their roval wheelsets
They have stormy weather when it comes to the Brain too... In a nutshell, there's a valid patent out there that somebody could be using if they have the money to go into a long term legal battle... but with good chances to succeed.

So, that'll never happen thanks to Spesh deep pockets... but it could happen.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Warp,

I think the biggest thing that Titus can take away from the new Epic is how Specilized designed the carbon chainstays. Titus took a big step with the new X and shaved off a lot grams off the rear triangle which was some what on the portly side. But they stoped short of going full carbon.

Some other intersting details to note is Specilized didn't use a seat stay bridge. Instead they went with a one piece upper link which really helps with mud clearace. I wonder if Titus did some thing similar with the upper link on the X if they could massage an extra 20 MM of travel out of the rear suspension to match the 120 MM travel on the Fox 32 RLC fork?

Sopwithcamel

·
what's that rattle?
324 Posts
sopwithcamel said:
Some other intersting details to note is Specilized didn't use a seat stay bridge. Instead they went with a one piece upper link which really helps with mud clearace. I wonder if Titus did some thing similar with the upper link on the X if they could massage an extra 20 MM of travel out of the rear suspension to match the 120 MM travel on the Fox 32 RLC fork?
Sopwithcamel
The Light Rail System already does away with the seatstay bridge. Titus probably could have given it a little more travel, but 120mm is pretty close to MotoLite territory and perhaps isn't racy enough.

I like the idea of carbon chainstays for the X. Maybe Titus doesn't make them because they don't sell enough carbon bikes to justify manufacturing a separate rear triangle component. I'm also a big fan of the press-fit bottom bracket concept - although I think I prefer Pivot's implementation.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Daffunda said:
Isn't specialized getting sued by notubes for their roval wheelsets?

Anyways, there is no original anymore. Just tells me that the RX design is good to begin with, otherwise Spesh would've stayed with the previous design. Everyone rips off everyone elses design, and just finds a way around the patent. (But Spesh owns the Horst Link patent, so.......) Automotive industries do it, everyone does it.

My take on this is, when you're comparing 5k bikes, there is no "this bike is better than that bike." anymore. It just comes down to geometry and what you prefer, and what kind of parts are on it.
the boys over in the knolly thread may have a few things to say about this...

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Blofeld,

Thanks for the picture! I missed the fact that Titus removed the seat stay bridge because all the pictures I saw of the Light Rail rear end were from side on. Gee, I wonder if their is going to be a patent battle between Titus and Specilized because of that.

Sopwithcamel

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I double checked the weight of the Canyon LUX MR. The bike weighs in at 1750 grams without the shock! (Who weighs bike out shocks?) So with shock and attaching hardware it will be right around the 2000 gram mark. The 2000 gram mark is the sweet spot for a well design weight, optimized four inch travel FS frames.

Sopwithcamel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts