Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally decided it had to happen so after a year and half of blowing it off, I had my shoulder done. All in all, I think I got lucky since the surgeon felt the rotator cuff could be left alone. It was a type 3 AC separation so he basically removed about 10mm of bone and sutured the torn ligaments. 6-8 weeks and I should be riding again. Until then, Im counting on vicariously riding through my friends and the internet (so post some good sh!t to keep me sane, k?).

Despite the pain, Im at least getting better, getting good drugs, and getting sponge baths. Here's a few shots from the day after and then a few days later when thye removed the bandages. Fortunately, my surgeon did it with a scope which is quite a bit more difficult but speeds recovery hugely! Sorry for the partial nudity and post holiday 10lbs but at least Im not painted like a drunkin' cow! Poor Mike.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
heal up

well that looks like it was the right thing for you do....hope the healing process goes quickly for you. It does freak me out a bit though, since I seperated my shoulder back in Sept. (first day at Whistler no less). I'm still feeling alittle weak in the shoulder, although I can ride and function normally. Occasionaly it is still sore, but hearing your story makes me alittle unsure about whether or not surgery should be something I should be considering. What were your conditions and symptoms that made you finally decide to get it done? The time off will go fast, atleast its winter and the middle of the season...

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
namaSSte, hope it heals all good. I had the same operation, healed well, so I thought. Tore it the first ride after the op, 8 weeks later. Had the major open surgery one 5 months ago. It is now full of titanium etc.

Have huge positive thoughts for ya, that your op will work a treat.

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
billystack said:
well that looks like it was the right thing for you do....hope the healing process goes quickly for you. It does freak me out a bit though, since I seperated my shoulder back in Sept. (first day at Whistler no less). I'm still feeling alittle weak in the shoulder, although I can ride and function normally. Occasionaly it is still sore, but hearing your story makes me alittle unsure about whether or not surgery should be something I should be considering. What were your conditions and symptoms that made you finally decide to get it done? The time off will go fast, atleast its winter and the middle of the season...
Thanks bud. I started off a lot like you (even hurt it riding in Whistler!). Anyway, it hurt a little for the first few months but only when I was really pulling hard on the bars (biger bunnyhops esp). It got to the point back in 12/04 that I thought I'd have it looked at since every ride started to hurt. We tried Vioxx, then went to Prednisone, and finally several Cortisone injections. The Cortisone worked well but only for about a month or so. All the while, I kept riding. I finally got the point that any type of bunnyhop or spin move hurt really bad (even small 180's in quarter pipes let alone anything more). Bottom line was that I couldn't ride the way I wanted anymore (I ride a lot of park and urban as well as trail) so I got a second opinion. The doc told em flat out that surgery was the only option (other than quitting riding, which isnt an option so I didin't mention it).

Id say that you should have a doc look at it but I wouldnt advise spending much time treating it conservatively if it looks like a surgical case since it just wastes time.

Good luck and please feel free to wirte me if you have more questions and stuff.

Peace.

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whafe said:
namaSSte, hope it heals all good. I had the same operation, healed well, so I thought. Tore it the first ride after the op, 8 weeks later. Had the major open surgery one 5 months ago. It is now full of titanium etc.

Have huge positive thoughts for ya, that your op will work a treat.
OWWW! while titanium is cool and all, I can't imagine how bummed you must have been. Glad you're healed now and thanks for the good karma!

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
healing vibes to you...why don't you come out to the Pirates house and drink and watch USC clobber Texas....and do tequila shots......then we will have his and hers shame pics....I will go get some more black

arrr....me be drinking me stash of rum....me says parties are way more fun....ye be thinking of joinin' me??? .....arrr

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
namaSSte said:
arrrghh! part uv yer berthday stash have ya? and a happy belated day to ya cap'n!

I'll be joinin yer crew as I be havin di need fer some strong medicine right now! arrrr!
what is funny is the picture didn't take right away and I drank about 1/4 of the bottle in that one shot

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
healing vibes to you...why don't you come out to the Pirates house and drink and watch USC clobber Texas....and do tequila shots......then we will have his and hers shame pics....I will go get some more black

arrr....me be drinking me stash of rum....me says parties are way more fun....ye be thinking of joinin' me??? .....arrr
arrrghh! part uv yer berthday stash have ya? and a happy belated day to ya cap'n!

I'll be joinin yer crew as I be havin di need fer some strong medicine right now! arrrr!

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
what is funny is the picture didn't take right away and I drank about 1/4 of the bottle in that one shot
now that you mention it, the glass on the table is empty, with a swig like that, who needs it, eh?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Awesome! you'll be so much better once it's fixed. I've been holding off on having my ACL repaired after my bad crash near the end of 2004. I still need to be able to ride this winter and next summer as we're developing new products.

You're shoulder looks really good after your surgery and should heal up fast. I've done the AC separation myself, but not nearly as bad as you (just couldn't lift my arm for about 10 weeks) and it's still a little crunchy, but overall, it's healed pretty well.

Good luck and hopefully we'll see you guys up here again!

Cheers,

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yo !!

Finally decided it had to happen so after a year and half of blowing it off, I had my shoulder done. All in all, I think I got lucky since the surgeon felt the rotator cuff could be left alone. It was a type 3 AC separation so he basically removed about 10mm of bone and sutured the torn ligaments. 6-8 weeks and I should be riding again. Until then, Im counting on vicariously riding through my friends and the internet (so post some good sh!t to keep me sane, k?).

Despite the pain, Im at least getting better, getting good drugs, and getting sponge baths. Here's a few shots from the day after and then a few days later when thye removed the bandages. Fortunately, my surgeon did it with a scope which is quite a bit more difficult but speeds recovery hugely! Sorry for the partial nudity and post holiday 10lbs but at least Im not painted like a drunkin' cow! Poor Mike.
What's up you little weasel????????? Why don't you tell them the truth about me whooping your a$$ in that steel cage match last week????? LOL !!!!! Now that I am finally clearing some stuff at Ray's, you go and get all cut up, dang it. HAHA........

That's cool man, you gotta be workin' right no doubt. I tore my bicep a few years back (and I got a nice 7 inch scar to prove it !!!!!!!), so, I know the deal. Follow the rehab closely, don't screw around, don't push it. I mean, there's a difference between aggressive rehab and stupidity. Seriously. My previously torn bicep is now probably stronger than my other one......

Anywho, heal up brutha !!!! Enjoy the meds :D

·
I like air!
915 Posts
namaSSte said:

I have a type 3 AC separation that I am dealing with too and have been thinking about surgery. My question is how much does a procedure like that cost? I don't have insurance and I was just wondering because I was about to start looking around for a surgeon?

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
knollybikes.com said:
Awesome! you'll be so much better once it's fixed. I've been holding off on having my ACL repaired after my bad crash near the end of 2004. I still need to be able to ride this winter and next summer as we're developing new products.

You're shoulder looks really good after your surgery and should heal up fast. I've done the AC separation myself, but not nearly as bad as you (just couldn't lift my arm for about 10 weeks) and it's still a little crunchy, but overall, it's healed pretty well.

Good luck and hopefully we'll see you guys up here again!

Cheers,
Thanks Noel, you can count on me (us) coming back up. If for no other reason than to get one of those fish sandwiches at GLC. Be careful riding this winter too, you'v hit your surgery quote already....twice.

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
milhouse said:
I have a type 3 AC separation that I am dealing with too and have been thinking about surgery. My question is how much does a procedure like that cost? I don't have insurance and I was just wondering because I was about to start looking around for a surgeon?
Milli, I hate to tell you this but its not cheap. You'l probably need an MRI (although I think its stupid for an AC injury) and those are really pricey. I havent been billed yet but Im sure my insurance company is gonna love it! Any chance you can get some coverage prior to going in? I think you'd need to man. Good luck and please feel free to write me with any questions about it you might have.

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
xdefx said:
What's up you little weasel????????? Why don't you tell them the truth about me whooping your a$$ in that steel cage match last week????? LOL !!!!! Now that I am finally clearing some stuff at Ray's, you go and get all cut up, dang it. HAHA........

That's cool man, you gotta be workin' right no doubt. I tore my bicep a few years back (and I got a nice 7 inch scar to prove it !!!!!!!), so, I know the deal. Follow the rehab closely, don't screw around, don't push it. I mean, there's a difference between aggressive rehab and stupidity. Seriously. My previously torn bicep is now probably stronger than my other one......

Anywho, heal up brutha !!!! Enjoy the meds :D
Okay, okay...the truth is this. I hit Dwayne so hard that he went down faster than a whore on a Russian submarine. I didn't expect this and as a result overextended the shoulder as I followed through.

I'll take it easy, maybe see you there this weekend even since I thought I'd stop in just to say hey to the crew. Rehab starts today so IM sure that should feel REALLY nice! :( Oh well, each day is closer to being back on two wheels. See ya soon bro, tahnks for the cheer.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
namaSSte said:
Thanks Noel, you can count on me (us) coming back up. If for no other reason than to get one of those fish sandwiches at GLC. Be careful riding this winter too, you'v hit your surgery quote already....twice.
Ya, and I still need to have my ACL rebuilt in my knee...

Surgery is no fun, but not being able to ride (or work or do other things) is worse.

We'll make sure that there's still some Tuna burgers kicking around at the GLC and I'll refrain from dislodging roots and rebar with my foot :)

Cheers!

·
I like air!
915 Posts
namaSSte said:
Milli, I hate to tell you this but its not cheap. You'l probably need an MRI (although I think its stupid for an AC injury) and those are really pricey. I havent been billed yet but Im sure my insurance company is gonna love it! Any chance you can get some coverage prior to going in? I think you'd need to man. Good luck and please feel free to write me with any questions about it you might have.
Thanks and good luck with your recovery. Yea, I'm sure it's not cheap. I'm looking into plans now but regardless if I can get a new plan to cover an existing injury or not I am going to have it done.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
namaSSte said:
Sorry for the partial nudity and post holiday 10lbs but at least Im not painted like a drunkin' cow! Poor Mike.
ohhhh the horror...the obesity...can't....take....my....eyes....off.................it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

omg...like totally...whatever... :rolleyes: :D

nice to see you're finally on your way to real recovery...hope it goes well and fast for ya... :D

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
irieness said:
ohhhh the horror...the obesity...can't....take....my....eyes....off.................it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

omg...like totally...whatever... :rolleyes: :D

nice to see you're finally on your way to real recovery...hope it goes well and fast for ya... :D
(in best Buzz Lightyear voice) you're mocking me...aren't you?:) Its all good sista! As you can see in the first pic, the drugs have kicked in so I haven;t been a) understanding when someone makes fun of me or b) caring when they do.

Thanks for the good vibes girl, Ill get better quick!

Milli, good call on getting it done, I wish I hadn't waited wither. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts