Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 5' 6 1/2" exactly. I looked at sizing information on some new Nishikis and their small frame says "riders up to 5' 7" and their Medium says "riders up to 5' 7" to 5' 11" At 5' 6 1/2 I fall towards the small frame or the one I should be on, but I ride a medium and feel fine on it. I'm not stretched, but my arms are straight out, but not elbow locked. I realize I should be on the smaller frame if I do some heavy trail riding, for sake of weight and control, but I control my medium frame just fine in the woods and it is comfortable on the road and not cramped. I've actually sat on the small frame way back when I bought my bike, but I bought the medium bike simply because I liked the color better(same bike) but between the small frame and medium frame, they felt the same to me. Anyone else fall between sizes? Did you feel you could go either way/ SMALL OR LARGE.

·
I didn't do it
9,465 Posts
Look who they let out of the dungeon. You should post this over in General. No bike stuff here except in the usual place. But you already knew that.

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
I think I'm technically between sizes on Specialized's sizing chart. My old bike (road) was a 57, which fit perfectly. I can ride a 56 or 58 (L or XL) and either one feels fine. Right now I'm on a 58 because that's the size of the bike that we found on Craigslist.

Ignore the sizing chart. Get whatever size feels better for you.

·
The joy of ski is Yours
1,367 Posts
I found an extra-sock in the wash today. I smelled it after an hour.

Turns out it was a dirty old sock which had some form of static-cling and never made it into the washer.

I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
there's fit and then there's geo and what you like.
I like smaller on ht and rigid, and bigger on fs and road bikes.
Ride some, figure out what you like.

·
****** to the dirt
5,122 Posts
you should ride what is the most comfortable for you. Your riding style will adjust. Just as long as your toes can touch the ground when stopped

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
If medium feels best for you, then that is what you should ride. I don't even pay attention to the sizing charts when I buy a bike, the charts are not always accurate.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
sizing charts are only a vague suggestion of what should fit you. test-riding the bike and having an experienced bike fitter observe you on the bike is the only way to really know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts