Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
im here in st. george utah for the weekend.. was out shopping yesterday and seen the local cops riding mountain bikes.... they had a pickup.... watched them put the bikes in the bed of the truck and lock them down somehow....DID NOT REMOVE FRONT WHEEL anyone know what kinda system they use to hold the bikes in the bed ????? was super simple from what i seen...

·
spec4life???..smh...
1,091 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
For some reason I read the title of this post implying that you were in bed from a bad mountain bike wreck...that's what I get for scanning it fast.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol for some reason my mind added the W...... but anyways.... didnt see the rack since they where on the other side of parking lot.... the bikes sat backwards and they pretty much just dropped them in place... i seen the one cop do something by the tailgate/front wheel but not sure what..... he did push down on the bike and thought i heard something ratchet into place???? (maybe a bar just popping over the tread on tire?)
thanks for your links.....

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
A guy I ride with made his own rack out of 2x4s for the bed of his truck. He has a couple of mounts to remove the wheel with an old QR skewer. He also built a frame that supports the front wheel to hold the bike up, a channel to hold the rear wheel, then locks and straps the bikes in with bungee cords.

I wish I had pictures for you.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
10,150 Posts
qkenuf4u said:
.... the bikes sat backwards and they pretty much just dropped them in place... i seen the one cop do something by the tailgate/front wheel but not sure what..... he did push down on the bike and thought i heard something ratchet into place???? (maybe a bar just popping over the tread on tire?)
See post #2

·
Registered
541 Posts
I made my own. I also bought 2 of the fork mounts. I think mine are made by Suntour. I paid around $15 eaWhat I did is took a piece of my current truck bed channel system out and welded to pieces of aluminum to my current rack then bolted on my fork mounts. You don't have to go the route I did, I just have axcess to an aluminum welder so I went the extra mile. Anyway here are a coulpe of pics for some ideas.

Attachments

·
Registered
837 Posts
http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/goodies/TruckbedBikeRack.htm

qkenuf4u said:
im here in st. george utah for the weekend.. was out shopping yesterday and seen the local cops riding mountain bikes.... they had a pickup.... watched them put the bikes in the bed of the truck and lock them down somehow....DID NOT REMOVE FRONT WHEEL anyone know what kinda system they use to hold the bikes in the bed ????? was super simple from what i seen...
Budget version might be this...
http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/goodies/TruckbedBikeRack.htm

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
Monocog Masher
161 Posts
If you own a pickup there is only ONE rack to own. The Thule Gator rack. I have had many pickups, many bikes, and many racks. The Gator is the best!! I have since bought an SUV so I switched to a Thule T2 hitch rack, but I kept the Gator to use on the cargo rack on my Jayco Baja Offroad popup camper.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.