Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there is an obvious trend in cycling that's been happening for many years: I'm talking about the "louder your freewheel, the better your bike" phenomenon. (Freewheel noise has apparently become a status symbol.) I'm actually surprised that ALL bike manufacturers haven't just started integrating a "Harley-Davidson Effect" into even their cheap bikes-which would destroy the trend in a heartbeat because everyone would get sick and tired of trails sounding like a pack of Harleys, LOL.

So here's a way we can add this "high-end" effect to our bikes cheaply:

:)

PS - Personally, I like a SILENT freewheel!

· Registered
3,856 Posts
So there is an obvious trend in cycling that's been happening for many years: I'm talking about the "louder your freewheel, the better your bike" phenomenon. (Freewheel noise has apparently become a status symbol.) I'm actually surprised that ALL bike manufacturers haven't just started integrating a "Harley-Davidson Effect" into even their cheap bikes-which would destroy the trend in a heartbeat because everyone would get sick and tired of trails sounding like a pack of Harleys, LOL.

So here's a way we can add this "high-end" effect to our bikes cheaply:

:)

PS - Personally, I like a SILENT freewheel!
I like a quiet bike too.

My new one is overall fantastic as far as comfort and carrying more speed for really long rides but it makes that nasty noise we hate. You've made me more aware of other new bike problems. For so much money they gave me a plastic fork, plastic rims, plastic handlebars, and they didn't paint any of it.

Maybe it's not wanting to hear the cassette more than the bike creating the longer and faster rides???

· Registered
248 Posts
My breathing more than makes up for any noise anything might make on my bike.

However it is important to add that this card should be held on with a clothes pin and I recall once seeing a bike that had a little metal clothes pin brazed onto the seatstay so you could add a card at your own whim.

Also Harley riders say "Loud pipes save lives". Which they should also say "Boomers on new bikes donate organs regularly".

· Registered
1,180 Posts
Sadly I am torn.

I am OBSESSED with quiet appliances and bikes are no different. I fantasize about buying a sprag clutch hub. I will, this year or next.

But on the trails I really appreciate when sessioning, hearing someone coming so I can get out of the way. It's just polite all around. So far, no close calls, probably because there is no critical mass of people around me with onyx hubs.

So I see the benefit.

On my second MTB, it's a budget bike so I bought a Bitex 6 pawl hub. I have come to like it alot. It's a "little" buzzy which does have a nice sound when on the bike. But more important, it is not loud and angry, but soft and polite. I think it is a good compromise for being heard without being obnoxious.

But my main bike is still getting an Onyx :)

Oh, and I like a soft polite freewheel buzz more than a bell. Both around me or on my own bike. I will not tolerate a bell.

MAYYYYYYYBE a rubber chicken ziptied to the fork. I might just have to do that on general principle.

· Registered
469 Posts
advanced hiker early warning system
Yup....its a quiet bike and that annoying bell..or a nice loud freewheel. By the way, there is a reason the more expensive the hub and sprocket, the louder it is...performance...my new bike is considerably lower...the engagement is considerably faster...by product is I can be heard coming up and hikers that are in the middle of the path.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.