Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey! I want to buy a new bike soon and was looking at the santa cruz heckler. The riding I will be doing is mostly trail riding and aggressive xc with some uphills, downhills and 1-3 foot jumps. I've been doing research around for a while now and here is the list of parts that I think I will be getting with my heckler.

Frame with fox rp3: 7 pounds
Fork:Fox talas rlc 3.78 pounds
Brakes: Hayes hfx mag plus 6" 736g
Crankset: Shimano XT Hollowtech 2 860g
Rear derailleur: Shimano XT 232g
Front derailleur: Shimano XT 158g
Cassette: Shimano XT 264g
Chain: Shimano XT 304g
Shifters: Shimano XT 300g
Seatpost: Thompson 280g
Stem: Thompson 200g
Handlebars: Easton ea70 250g
Headset: Chris king no thread set 98g
Seat: WTB shadow v 170g
Rims: Mavic xm819 disc ust tubeless 930g
Tires: Huthinson spider tubeless 1390g
Spokes: DT swiss revolution 283g
Nipples: DT swiss pro lock aluminium 20g
Skewers: Mavic 108g
Hubs: DT onyx front 192g rear 393g
Pedals: Wellgo aluminium 300g
Grips: WTB 100g
Cables and housing: 200g

The total weight for this heckler is 27.65 pounds. Now if this weight is correct its a very good weight for the type of ridding I want to do with a frame that can take allot of abuse.

If I missed anything I need to add or my weights aren't right( I got them all from manufacturers websites) please tell me. Also do you guys think this is a good setup for my type of ridding?

Thanks!

Jack

·
Team BikeWood
161 Posts
One wheel?

Jacques12345 said:
Hey! I want to buy a new bike soon and was looking at the santa cruz heckler. The riding I will be doing is mostly trail riding and aggressive xc with some uphills, downhills and 1-3 foot jumps. I've been doing research around for a while now and here is the list of parts that I think I will be getting with my heckler.

Fork:Fox talas rlc 3.78 pounds
Brakes: Hayes hfx mag plus 6" 736g
Rear derailleur: Shimano XT 232g
Front derailleur: Shimano XT 158g
Shifters: Shimano XT 300g
Rims: Mavic xm819 disc ust tubeless 465g
Tires: Huthinson spider tubeless 1390g
Spokes: DT swiss revolution 283g
Hubs: DT onyx front 192g rear 393g

The total weight for this heckler is 26.2 pounds. Now if this weight is correct its a very good weight for the type of ridding I want to do with a frame that can take allot of abuse.

If I missed anything I need to add or my weights aren't right( I got them all from manufacturers websites) please tell me. Also do you guys think this is a good setup for my type of ridding?

Thanks!

Jack
It looks like you forgot to add the weight of the front hub (192 g) as well as a second rim (465 g). That adds another 1.5 lbs to the build making it 27.7 lbs. Also you may want to check and see if those UST tires require additional nipples/inserts. I know on some of Mavics other UST rims they advertise the weight without the necessary extra nipples, and this can add considerable weight to the wheel. Also some grips on those bars will probably add 80-100 g. So you're probably really looking at a build ~28 lbs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey! Thanks allot for your advise, I appreciate it. Your right I did forget to add the front hub and I did forget the second wheel. The nipples are calculated in my weight, as you can see there I wrote down DT swiss pro lock aluminium 20g. I also did forget to add some grips, I will probably be getting some wtb ones but the weights aren't listed on their website so I will just say another 100g.

The current weight for the heckler would be 27.65

I will edit my post with the added components. Can you guys find anything else that I might be missing from my list?

What do you guys think of this build for my type of ridding? I will be doing mostly trail ridding with aggressive xc, uphills, downhills and 1-3 foot jumps.

Thanks!

Jack

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hmmm

I think you may find that reality is a different beast. I just gone done weighting all the individual components for a MED Juliana Superlight with all XTR/Avid/Easton SL/American Classic disc wheels and I show around 28lbs. It seems manufacturers like low balling the weight on their parts. For example, I have a 1 1/8" CK headset that came in at 128grams. I have two identical Panaracer tires and one is 25 grams more than the other one (and both above manufacturer reported weight). Each and of themselves perhaps no biggie, but you add it all together and it adds up. If you are doing jumps, though, I don't think you would be too concerned with 1-2lbs here or there.

Did you include brake levers in the list above?

Good luck with your build. There is nothing better than spec'ing out each and every part of a new bike.

·
Team BikeWood
161 Posts
Jacques12345 said:
Hey! Thanks allot for your advise, I appreciate it. Your right I did forget to add the front hub and I did forget the second wheel. The nipples are calculated in my weight, as you can see there I wrote down DT swiss pro lock aluminium 20g. I also did forget to add some grips, I will probably be getting some wtb ones but the weights aren't listed on their website so I will just say another 100g.

The current weight for the heckler would be 27.65

I will edit my post with the added components. Can you guys find anything else that I might be missing from my list?

What do you guys think of this build for my type of ridding? I will be doing mostly trail ridding with aggressive xc, uphills, downhills and 1-3 foot jumps.

Thanks!

Jack
I think it looks like a good solid all-around build -- with one exception. Personally, I think those DT Rev spokes may be a little lightweight for this build. I'd go for DT Comps or at least Supercomps. They'd make for a more solid wheel. But I'm not an expert on that so I'd talk to a respected wheelbuilder first. Mike at www.oddsandendos.com is an excellent source of info. Also be careful of manufacturers claimed weights as they're not always correct. Check out the listings on www.weightweenies.starbike.com for real weights by real people.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey! I will probably be getting differente spokes then. The bike will proabably be a few pounds more then my weight that I calculated but its still gonna be a light enuff bike. I don't want it to heavy because I will mostly be doing some trails and aggresive xc and I don't want it to be to hard to pedal especially on the uphills. What do you guys think my bike should weight to be able to do some trails and uphills withought it being to hard to pedal but still handle downhills and 1-3 foot jumps?? Is there any components I should change that I would need to make my bike stronger or that I should switch to make lighter? Are there any components from this list that could be replaced with something better or do I have all the right components for my type on riding?

Thanks!

Jack

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
I think you will be ok.

Jacques12345 said:
Hey! I will probably be getting differente spokes then. The bike will proabably be a few pounds more then my weight that I calculated but its still gonna be a light enuff bike. I don't want it to heavy because I will mostly be doing some trails and aggresive xc and I don't want it to be to hard to pedal especially on the uphills. What do you guys think my bike should weight to be able to do some trails and uphills withought it being to hard to pedal but still handle downhills and 1-3 foot jumps?? Is there any components I should change that I would need to make my bike stronger or that I should switch to make lighter? Are there any components from this list that could be replaced with something better or do I have all the right components for my type on riding?

Thanks!

Jack
The kind of riding you are describing is basically what I ride. My heckler is built kind of on the light side-29.5 lbs. with my 2.4 moto raptor(tire) in the front. I really like the heckler as an all around trail bike. You are going to need to ride it a while before you decide if you need to change any components. Just remember it is YOUR bike not ours. As long as you like the way it feels when you are riding... you have the right components. I hope you enjoy your heckler as much as I enjoy mine :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hey!

K for 1 asianpersuation, i'm not a weight weenie, I have a 40 pound downhill bike that I use all the time, this particular bike I want it to be an all mountain bike that I can ride on city streets as well as on trails and do some aggresive xc with some uphills, downhills and 2-3 foot jumps. Also what do you mean a weight weenie checking out a heckler? The heckler is not a frame made to be a heavy bike, its the all mountain bike in the santa cruz line, if you want a heavier bike the bullit is what you get, if I get a blur wich would be the other option, i'll always be afraid of breaking it on 2 foot jumps because its soo much more fragile and only like half a pound less. The blur is the cross country bike in the sc line and I don't want the bike for cross country I want it for all mountain k? Thx

Scheckler thanks allot I think the heckler is the right choice for me, I just want to make shure that i'm noty going too light or to heavy on the components for the riding I want to do.

I also switched the dt onyx for chris king hubs wich weight 112g front and 268g rear. The new weight of the bike is not 27.5 pounds.

Thanks!

Jack

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey! I have made a few changes, heres the new list:

Fork:Fox vanilla 130 rlc 3.98 pounds
Brakes: Hayes El-camino 786g
Rear derailleur: Sram XO 210g
Front derailleur: Sram XO 120g
Shifters: Sram XO 175g
Tires: Hutchinson spider tubeless 1390g
Spokes: DT swiss super comp 318g
Hubs: Chris king front 112g rear 268g

The new weight is now: 27.4 pounds.

Jack

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Jacques12345 said:
Hey! I have made a few changes, heres the new list:

Fork:Fox vanilla 130 rlc 3.98 pounds
Brakes: Hayes El-camino 786g
Rear derailleur: Sram XO 210g
Front derailleur: Sram XO 120g
Shifters: Sram XO 175g
Tires: Hutchinson spider tubeless 1390g
Spokes: DT swiss super comp 318g
Hubs: Chris king front 112g rear 268g

The new weight is now: 27.4 pounds.

Jack
Looks like a nice build. It'll still come in heavier than you think. For example...the 819 rims weigh closer to 550gms each. As someone else mentioned, you forgot to add the weight of the nipple inserts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts