Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was about ready to take the plunge into the modern era and buy a new bike with bigger wheels and new geometry, but after picking myself up off the floor from sticker shock, I decided instead rebuild my 2012 5-Spot, and hopefully get 2 more years out of it. New wheel bearings, shock and fork rebuild, and service the suspension bushings.

Assumed I would need new bushings, but after tearing it down and testing them individually, they where still basically as good as new. Heck, I even tuned them to turn a tad more freely. Kind of wishing I have done that years ago. I did it on a previous frame, but I was in a bit of a rush when I built this frame up, and just never got around to it. Still felt good, but I think now it might feel even better. We'll see.

I tell this for two reasons:

1) I was shocked that the bushings were still this good, especially the ones in the lower link. This suspension layout (in particular the narrow, off-center lower link) is nearly identical to that on my old Iron Horse MKIII, and the bearings on that lower link were always toast in well under a year. It makes me wonder why this kind of bushing is not used more often for these high-stress / low movement applications. Maybe they are these days, but last I was in the market (2012) nobody else was, to my knowledge.

2) Before I started tearing everything down, I emailed Turner asking about the availability of new bushings, and got a response from Dave in a couple hours, and he responded to follow up questions very promptly. This was before the new site was up. Anyway, I appreciate that.

I wish him luck with the new direction.

·
Wicketed
602 Posts
Good for you, and good for the planet (y)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts