Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s here and damn BK has a good advertising crew. The burger itself, meh...anyone else give it a go? I can’t recall the last time I had BK to make a comparison but the only thing impossible about it is the fact that it’s impossible I’ll ever purchase another one.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I was thinking of giving it a try just to see what it's like. An article about its nutrition says it's not much better than a regular beef burger, and no better for the environment, though those are things I'm not normally thinking about when I stop by BK, which is about once every 5 years or so, if that. I do find their Whoppers tasty.

·
Birding Mtb'er
61 Posts
I have tried it and thought it was pretty darned good. Maybe it's because I haven't had meat in quite a while, but honestly I totally couldn't tell it wasn't.

For sure these won't get many hard-core meat eaters to go veg, but for those who want to but have a hard time with meat cravings and want some sort of comparable substitute, Impossible and Beyond products seem to be the most promising solution so far. They may not be exactly healthy and I don't think anyone is condoning eating Impossible burgers regularly, but if it takes away from the demand for beef by that much then it is good in so many ways. Since you originally posted this, Impossible and Beyond have gotten wildly more popular, which to me, hopefully, translates to less demand for meat. I have actually always liked the old black bean and some soy 'burgers', but many don't, and I never thought of them as actual meat substitutes that would ever sway anyone who wanted to give up real meat. Impossible and Beyond I think actually can. We had a Beyond Burger night for my girlfriend's parents, and her step-dad who is a definite meat-eater and thought he would hate it, actually liked it and said even he couldn't tell.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 🚲
12,673 Posts
I was thinking of giving it a try just to see what it's like. An article about its nutrition says it's not much better than a regular beef burger, and no better for the environment, though those are things I'm not normally thinking about when I stop by BK, which is about once every 5 years or so, if that. I do find their Whoppers tasty.
Actually you are wrong about the environment bit. The Impossible and Beyond meat is much better for the environment. Take a few min to watch this Mark Rober video;

After watching that I was convinced to replace more animal meat with plant based meat.

I have tried it and thought it was pretty darned good. Maybe it's because I haven't had meat in quite a while, but honestly I totally couldn't tell it wasn't.

For sure these won't get many hard-core meat eaters to go veg, but for those who want to but have a hard time with meat cravings and want some sort of comparable substitute, Impossible and Beyond products seem to be the most promising solution so far. They may not be exactly healthy and I don't think anyone is condoning eating Impossible burgers regularly, but if it takes away from the demand for beef by that much then it is good in so many ways. Since you originally posted this, Impossible and Beyond have gotten wildly more popular, which to me, hopefully, translates to less demand for meat. I have actually always liked the old black bean and some soy 'burgers', but many don't, and I never thought of them as actual meat substitutes that would ever sway anyone who wanted to give up real meat. Impossible and Beyond I think actually can. We had a Beyond Burger night for my girlfriend's parents, and her step-dad who is a definite meat-eater and thought he would hate it, actually liked it and said even he couldn't tell.
My wife has been using a company called "imperfect produce" for a few years and they started offering the impossible "beef" so she has added it to our regular shipments. I love it. to me it is just as tasty if not better than real beef in many ways. I realize it is not really healthier, but I certainly feel better knowing that by purchasing it I am helping reduce the number of cows needed.... As more and more people turn to it the cost will go down and eventually be cheaper than beef. Once the market hits that point we will see a shift to less cows being raised, which means less methane, less damage to land, etc, etc, etc. The benefits are huge.

The burgers my wife makes with that meat are amazing!

She did Gyro style burritos with it a few days ago.

I won't ever plan to buy ground beef again when I have a constant supply of this in the freezer.

That said, I still eat steak from time to time as a treat and I will get a regular meat burger if the places we happen to go to do not offer the impossible meat.

·
Birding Mtb'er
61 Posts
... helping reduce the number of cows needed....
less methane, less damage to land, etc, etc, etc. The benefits are huge.
YESSSSSSSSSS.

Almost every single problem we see on our public lands here is directly or indirectly related to cows, but mostly directly. But don't get me started.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 🚲
12,673 Posts
YESSSSSSSSSS.

Almost every single problem we see on our public lands here is directly or indirectly related to cows, but mostly directly. But don't get me started.
think of all the new single track we could have if the west was not all fenced off for cattle grazing.....

·
Registered
354 Posts
I love impossible burgers. Even my wife who is a carnivore will choose an impossible burger over meat. I've found that some chain restaurants overcook them which leaves them too dried out. When I cook them at home on our BBQ they are perfect. It's great that impossible and beyond are becoming so available. We have some local pizza places that have beyond meat and vegan cheese as toppings.

·
9 lives
17,913 Posts
I try to eat clean and try to avoid processed foods as much as possible but recently I have tried Beyond Meat hamburger patties and sausages. We made them at home. Both were really tasty and I liked the chewy texture. Impossible burger and beyond meat aren't necessarily less fatty or caloric than their real-meat counterparts, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're bad for you. Compared to its competitor, the Impossible Burger, nutritionists said the Beyond Burger had the healthier protein source (Just sayin' :) ) sauce : Beyond Meat will soon be on the menu at 11 food chains. Nutritionists say its 'bleeding' veggie burger is healthy despite being processed.

I've been vegetarian since 18 and vegan the past 7 years.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 🚲
12,673 Posts
I try to eat clean and try to avoid processed foods as much as possible but recently I have tried Beyond Meat hamburger patties and sausages. We made them at home. Both were really tasty and I liked the chewy texture. Impossible burger and beyond meat aren't necessarily less fatty or caloric than their real-meat counterparts, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're bad for you. Compared to its competitor, the Impossible Burger, nutritionists said the Beyond Burger had the healthier protein source (Just sayin' :) ) sauce : Beyond Meat will soon be on the menu at 11 food chains. Nutritionists say its 'bleeding' veggie burger is healthy despite being processed.

I've been vegetarian since 18 and vegan the past 7 years.
Yeah if you watch that Mark Rober video I linked he goes to Beyond and Impossible and actually sees all the ingredients that are in them. The Vegetable oils are what help bind things and give it that burger sizzle on the grill, also what makes them similar in caloric value to ground beef.

I look forward to the day when the impossible, Beyond and others R&D is rewarded with big sales. The real win is replacing consumption of cow meat with consumption of veggies. Less Water wasted, less land ruined, less methane in the air.

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
I reckon meat eaters would do a LOT more good buying from a small local farm than trading one industrial farmed product for another.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 🚲
12,673 Posts
I reckon meat eaters would do a LOT more good buying from a small local farm than trading one industrial farmed product for another.

How does Burger King or other large food chains do that?

I agree that supporting local is the way to go whenever possible.

·
This place needs an enema
17,092 Posts
think of all the new single track we could have if the west was not all fenced off for cattle grazing.....
Don't forget to account for all of the singletrack you've ridden that was created by cows to begin with.

I'm no cow apologist. But they do burn in some really good trail.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 🚲
12,673 Posts
Burgerville manages to do it stating that 70% of their product comes from farms within 400 miles.
That is easier to do when you are a smaller localized chain. A big international company like Burger King or McDonalds is gonna have a harder time sourcing from hundreds of small farms. I am not saying it is impossible, but very difficult, costly and time consuming. Plus the volume they need is probably not something a small farm can provide.

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
I've not eaten meat in a long time, but I kinda like the Impossible. I am told by people who are non-vegetarians that the Impossible is nearly indistinguishable from a meat burger. I don't think it's going to change the world, but it's interesting that this is possible.

I had one at Burger King. for the folks who absolutely don't want any animal products, I think BK grills the burgers on the same equipment as their regular patties. in my case, mixing beef fat into my veggie burger would make me sick because my body does not know what to do with that. it's happened, I end up vomiting and get the runs for a few hours. if that's the case, ask BK to cook the burger separately. I think that means they microwave it, which kind of takes all the fun out of eating a flame-grilled burger.

I usually don't eat fast food unless I am traveling. it's good to know I have an option if BK it the only place I can eat on a route, but there are usually better options for vegan fast food. Taco Bell actually has had good veggie options for a few years and I can't go wrong with Chiptotle.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 🚲
12,673 Posts
I've not eaten meat in a long time, but I kinda like the Impossible. I am told by people who are non-vegetarians that the Impossible is nearly indistinguishable from a meat burger. I don't think it's going to change the world, but it's interesting that this is possible.

I had one at Burger King. for the folks who absolutely don't want any animal products, I think BK grills the burgers on the same equipment as their regular patties. in my case, mixing beef fat into my veggie burger would make me sick because my body does not know what to do with that. it's happened, I end up vomiting and get the runs for a few hours. if that's the case, ask BK to cook the burger separately. I think that means they microwave it, which kind of takes all the fun out of eating a flame-grilled burger.

I usually don't eat fast food unless I am traveling. it's good to know I have an option if BK it the only place I can eat on a route, but there are usually better options for vegan fast food. Taco Bell actually has had good veggie options for a few years and I can't go wrong with Chiptotle.
I feel for you, that would be horrible to get something like that and find out later it shared cooking space and utensils with meat products, or for those with a peanut allergy, soy allergy, etc.

I have only had the impossible/beyond meat a few times from fast food since i don't eat it that much. But having it at home when my wife makes it is amazing.

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
That is easier to do when you are a smaller localized chain. A big international company like Burger King or McDonalds is gonna have a harder time sourcing from hundreds of small farms. I am not saying it is impossible, but very difficult, costly and time consuming. Plus the volume they need is probably not something a small farm can provide.
I get that, for sure. I think we're speaking to different points deviating from post # 13 though. Ultimately there isn't much socially redeemable about the main players fast food model. It represents the proverbial race to the bottom we excel at.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.