Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
I'm not quite sure how this works (I've never done it myself), but I think I remember someone saying in a thread once that if you can combine buying your bike with a holiday in the US (or a family member's holiday/business trip etc.), that's the best way to go. Then you avoid all that fun stuff like shipping charges and import duty. If you weren't planning a holiday, obviously you don't save much, but if you can wait until someone you know goes to the US, you'll save a ton.

- Jen.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mahgnillig said:
I'm not quite sure how this works (I've never done it myself), but I think I remember someone saying in a thread once that if you can combine buying your bike with a holiday in the US (or a family member's holiday/business trip etc.), that's the best way to go. Then you avoid all that fun stuff like shipping charges and import duty. If you weren't planning a holiday, obviously you don't save much, but if you can wait until someone you know goes to the US, you'll save a ton.

- Jen.
Cheers, that is what I thought.
With the £vs$ being good, it maybe worth going to NYC for a Jolly!

·
pb2
294 Posts
been there - got the t shirt

If you bring in via the main stream couriers DHL UPS FedEx you will get whacked for import duty and vat and you even get charged vat on the shipping FFS.

There is no way round this, unless you use the American Postal service who will then use Parcel Farce at our end.

This reduces your chance a tax by a huge % as the Post Office only batch sample for tax where as the others tax every single item without fail.

Its also worth noting that you pay more import duty on a complete assembled bike than a bike in bits as the bits can be treated as parts and parts have a lower import duty rating !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.