Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am thinking about going for a nice steel hardtail but notice that most of them have non replaceable hangers.

Has anyone had a problem with this? ie bent a hanger and snapped it bending it back?

I've only used a replacement hanger once on my Al hardtail when the RD hit a rock

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Steel frames are much easier to repair than other materials so generally a replaceable hanger is not needed. Most of the time they can simply be bent back (though they rarely bend as they are significantly stronger than replaceable hangers). If by chance you crash hard enough to break the hanger (which will usually result in significant damage elsewhere on the bike), the entire drop out can be replaced by a competent frame builder.

·
i call it a kaiser blade
744 Posts
you can usually bend it back in place with a spanner since steel bends. that's the reason they don't usually come with replaceable hangers.

compare the handjob and stiffee. the stiffee has replaceable hangers because it's an aluminum frame.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Dan0930 said:
So I am thinking about going for a nice steel hardtail but notice that most of them have non replaceable hangers.

Has anyone had a problem with this? ie bent a hanger and snapped it bending it back?

I've only used a replacement hanger once on my Al hardtail when the RD hit a rock
It is an advantage. Steel hangers can be realigned, are less likely to bend in the first place, shift better and can be repaired if they happen to fail (VERY rare).

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,457 Posts
Back in the day alloy frames never had them either - so hangers were just built stronger. Bending / breaking them wasn't so much of an issue on XC bikes until riders got a bit more extreme. I've found some of the replaceable hangers are very flimsy and bend if the bike is simply dropped sideways onto the mech. Very disappointing - and they can be over priced to replace as well. What's more, sometimes the shops won't even have spares for the bikes they sell..... :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.