Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
crap magnet
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was in my email this AM from the Convention and Visitors Bureau:

It was announced this morning that Santa Fe will be the venue for the 2012 IMBA (International Mountain Bicycling Association) World Summit. We were told that we were chosen not only for our remarkable trails and unique City but for the sense of community that came through in our bidding and sponsorship package.

Whether you love em, hate em or are indifferent, The fact that IMBA chose SF speaks volumes about our riding here in Northern NM.

And since my livelihood is directly influenced by the almighty tourist $, I think it's great.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The SFFTS and the CVB put together a great package. Free convention center, cash, BTI hosted parties, all the bike shops donating free labor and discounts, hosted local rides, etc... Now the work begins. This is a lot of dough for the hotel and restaurants and also gives the MTB community more clout in building new trails.

Woot!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I wonder which trails will be work projects.
I pray to the MTB gods that those guys stay away from Sidewinder, Raven's Ridge & REM. Also, anything near Picacho Peak. It would be a VERY sad day to see those trails ruined with good intentions.
Hopefully, any physical trail work can be directed into new trails instead.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I wonder which trails will be work projects.
I pray to the MTB gods that those guys stay away from Sidewinder, Raven's & REM. Also anything near Picacho Peak. It would be a sad day to those trails ruined with good intentions.
TJ, FYI I have you in mind specifically when we work trails and push hard to keep anything interesting, add berms/features and keep A and B lines. The more good DH riders we have on the trail work days, the more that design sense creeps into everybody's heads (even the hikers) when deciding what to do.

There are no plans at all for those trails and I'll push to see that those are not worked on.

That said, it is the FS that determines what needs to happen. I can't see any work happening on anything north of Winsor since it is too far of a hike.

I still want to push for a long range plan of adding a super long trail from the radio towers, maybe even have it be one-way DH (suggested) so riders can haul ass on a trail built for MTB not hikers (although not excluding them of course).

Would love to have your help and anyone else that wants to build a trail that seeks out technical features instead of avoiding them.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
TJ, FYI I have you in mind specifically when we work trails and push hard to keep anything interesting, add berms/features and keep A and B lines. The more good DH riders we have on the trail work days, the more that design sense creeps into everybody's heads (even the hikers) when deciding what to do.

There are no plans at all for those trails and I'll push to see that those are not worked on.

That said, it is the FS that determines what needs to happen. I can't see any work happening on anything north of Winsor since it is too far of a hike.

I still want to push for a long range plan of adding a super long trail from the radio towers, maybe even have it be one-way DH (suggested) so riders can haul ass on a trail built for MTB not hikers (although not excluding them of course).

Would love to have your help and anyone else that wants to build a trail that seeks out technical features instead of avoiding them.
Chris, what I specifically meant, was that the trails I listed are cool the way they are. I'm not making a statement about trails that I consider "DH or Freeride worthy". I'm specifically noting that those trails are good, rough, tough XC trails. They have a character that is defined by their rough, technical attributes. If berms, A & B lines and even features were to be built on the trails that I mentioned, I think it would be sad (ok, I'd like to see some features here & there, but I could live without them). As far as I'm concerned These are spectacular trails, and I hope that they are not modified to suit any style of riding, but that they are left to be what they are.
As far as NEW trails go, I hope to see items such as berms, A & B lines and features. If not, that's cool too - Heck, I'm just happy to have more new trails. Any new trail is a bonus, no matter what type of riding it's built for. If there will be a new trail going in, I'll be more than happy to contribute a helping hand.
With all due respect, I've seen what happens to good, technical trails that IMBA decides to "improve". The sanitation that occurs along with the "improvements" really dumbs down existing trails to a less-enjoyable "path", so to speak. For example, hikers do not even need to use good, sturdy hiking boots on most IMBA trails - just a pair of tenis shoes will do. Imagine the slick tires that we will be able to run... no need for knobbies.
I really like your idea of a top-to-bottom trail from the radio towers. If you need a partner on something like that, I'd work with you, for sure - in all capacities. I'd like to talk to you more about that.
My only concerns are that the obviously well intentioned efforts of IMBA are going to dumb down some of our prime technical singletrack. I think that will be unfair to a large part of our hiking and biking community. I think Santa Fe has a good amount of different trails that accomodate the entire spectrum of riders and hikers. Any type of new trails are great, but modifications to existing trails should not sway existing trails from one characteristic to the other.
I envision IMBA converting some of our great, challenging off-camber, tight technical turns into smooth, wide turns with characteristics that carry the rider through a turn with total control, instead of allowing the rider to use a skillset and approach technical terrain. Where will we have to go in the future to ride technical terrain if IMBA "improves" our trails here? There are already more "IMBA improved" style trails here than good, technical trails. That's my primary concern. I'm worried about what the Santa Fe trail user community will actually lose in the name of a "good deed".

I know you are headed north to ride Saturday. We have some fun plans for Sunday here locally. Let me know if you can join us for some fun on Sunday. Would love to get out with you, if you can make it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
;)
That's awesome. Also the bi-annual Professional Trailbuilders Conference will be in Albuquerque in 2013.
huh? I know the members only PTBA Conf in 2012 is in Abq....

It may end up there, but it is news to me that the 2013 decision has been made.

Where did you get this idea?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Chris, what I specifically meant, was that the trails I listed are cool the way they are.....
TJ, I was on the same page as you, even if it wasn't clear. Given that the Trails Alliance, the FS and the SFFTS all work on the trails for hikers and bikers and that most volunteers are older (heck I'm over 40 and I am the young punk) it is always hard to keep the gnarl in the trail. I definitely do not make it to all the work days either. I'd say that Winsor, Chamisa and Borrego are likely the only trails that will be worked on, but that is just a guess (FYI the SFFTS has adopted Winsor from the ski area lot to Borrego). The main thing that happens on the work days is that folks look for sections that have erosion down the center of the trail (once that starts it increases rapidly, more rutting, more focus and faster erosive capability, etc..) and, right or wrong, try to keep it from getting deeper. When the trail is rutted folks either ride/hike in the middle of the rut (a few hikers/riders IMO) or they go wide and turn singletrack into a "troad" (trail/road or doubletrack) (most hikers/riders IMO). So is it better for the trail to be rutted and really wide (has ruts and a smooth section, perhaps on both sides of the trail) or smooth/rocky and singletrack?

A good example of a troad is the section of the lower Chamisa from the parking lot above the steep "cliff" section. That has deep ruts that nobody (I'd say, since it too narrow) rides in and many ways up from folks avoiding the ruts. The "trail" must be 20' wide there. If the water was diverted at the top we'd have some steep singletrack instead.

The lower REM switchbacks are a good example of rutted stuff that is also narrow but ridable, which is rare IMO, and should stay the way it is. Not that I can ride it well. :)

I think both types of trails are great in single track form, but the popular and close-to-the-road trails are going to be the ones getting worked on despite what you or I think.

In case some folks haven't been to a workday, the usual thing that happens is that if the trail is rutted and cupped, the outside edge is taken down so that the trail has outslope and the water that gets on the trail flows across rather than down it. In turns that are naturally bermed, the trail section right after the berm is outsloped. I made sure on the last workday that any outslope after a berm was placed definitely after the berm, which is something the hikers were not thinking about. Running down the trail with your hands like they are on bars gets a feel for the flow. Although TJ I guess you'd LIKE to be forced out of control at the end of a sweeper huh? :).

So I'll talk to the Trails Alliance folks and make a request that they not work on Sidewinder, etc., although it will only be a request, no sure thing. Again, I doubt there are any plans to work on any of that stuff. I'm not recalling where Picacho Peak is right now. Help?

I agree that SF has very little technical terrain. I have ridden with Neal in LA quite a bit and I think the riding up there kicks ass. Very technical stuff to be had, and I'm not talking about Paj even.

I'll keep you in the loop about the new potential trail (Torreon?).

Thanks for the invite. I'll be hitting AF on Sunday actually.

·
Registered
440 Posts
TJ, I was on the same page as you, even if it wasn't clear. Given that the Trails Alliance, the FS and the SFFTS all work on the trails for hikers and bikers and that most volunteers are older (heck I'm over 40 and I am the young punk) it is always hard to keep the gnarl in the trail. I definitely do not make it to all the work days either. I'd say that Winsor, Chamisa and Borrego are likely the only trails that will be worked on, but that is just a guess (FYI the SFFTS has adopted Winsor from the ski area lot to Borrego). The main thing that happens on the work days is that folks look for sections that have erosion down the center of the trail (once that starts it increases rapidly, more rutting, more focus and faster erosive capability, etc..) and, right or wrong, try to keep it from getting deeper. When the trail is rutted folks either ride/hike in the middle of the rut (a few hikers/riders IMO) or they go wide and turn singletrack into a "troad" (trail/road or doubletrack) (most hikers/riders IMO). So is it better for the trail to be rutted and really wide (has ruts and a smooth section, perhaps on both sides of the trail) or smooth/rocky and singletrack?

A good example of a troad is the section of the lower Chamisa from the parking lot above the steep "cliff" section. That has deep ruts that nobody (I'd say, since it too narrow) rides in and many ways up from folks avoiding the ruts. The "trail" must be 20' wide there. If the water was diverted at the top we'd have some steep singletrack instead.

The lower REM switchbacks are a good example of rutted stuff that is also narrow but ridable, which is rare IMO, and should stay the way it is. Not that I can ride it well. :)

I think both types of trails are great in single track form, but the popular and close-to-the-road trails are going to be the ones getting worked on despite what you or I think.

In case some folks haven't been to a workday, the usual thing that happens is that if the trail is rutted and cupped, the outside edge is taken down so that the trail has outslope and the water that gets on the trail flows across rather than down it. In turns that are naturally bermed, the trail section right after the berm is outsloped. I made sure on the last workday that any outslope after a berm was placed definitely after the berm, which is something the hikers were not thinking about. Running down the trail with your hands like they are on bars gets a feel for the flow. Although TJ I guess you'd LIKE to be forced out of control at the end of a sweeper huh? :).

So I'll talk to the Trails Alliance folks and make a request that they not work on Sidewinder, etc., although it will only be a request, no sure thing. Again, I doubt there are any plans to work on any of that stuff. I'm not recalling where Picacho Peak is right now. Help?

I agree that SF has very little technical terrain. I have ridden with Neal in LA quite a bit and I think the riding up there kicks ass. Very technical stuff to be had, and I'm not talking about Paj even.

I'll keep you in the loop about the new potential trail (Torreon?).

Thanks for the invite. I'll be hitting AF on Sunday actually.
Hey Chris - when you ever get around to looking at the trail from the towers let me know. Many many years ago I spent days on end hiking the GOOD line but never wound up riding it. Too much side slope traversing to work as a bootleg "ride down the mountain" trail. A cut trail would have been awesome so I'd love to see it materialize someday. My ribbons are probably still up there in misc. places

·
Registered
360 Posts
seenvic,

Guess you're right that it's not set in stone but it's my understanding that the members only conf is usually an "exploratory" trip to see the venue for the full-on conference the following year. I've had a few talks with Jon Underwood and company but I guess they'll make that call come next spring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts