Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The IMBA Trail Care Crew is coming to Payson the weekend of February 14th-15th, 2009, Yes we know it's the same weekend as the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo. We were bummed too, as we were planning to race it, but this was the only weekend IMBA could come that didn't interfere with an MBAA race. We wanted the MBAA race to be involved with this too. Anyone and everyone is invited.

Payson trails are still in a state of ruin. Our local Forest Service still has no regulation on motorized use on any National Forest trails around Payson (other than in wilderness or on the Highline Trail). We want good singletrack in the Payson region. Payson is even the host town for the 2009 and 2010 24-Hour National Championships, and even that race course is 100% on a dirt road.

We haven't been successful advocating for non-motorized trails in the Payson region due to the mentality of this area. Things are changing in 2009 with the new Forest Service Travel Management Plan, and IMBA can help us advocate for the importance of non-motorized multi-user singletrack type trails.

If you'd like to see Payson develop as a region with good singletrack, good riding, better hiking, better trail running, if you'd like to learn more about trail building, if you'd like to learn sustainable trail building techniques, then join us the weekend of February 14th and 15th for an IMBA Trail Care Crew weekend.

Any questions, comments, concerns, spill them out. We'll work out the details, get the ball rolling, and hopefully make this weekend a big success.

Cheers!

Mick Wolf - Owner
Hike, Bike, & Run
www.hikebikeandrun.com

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Newsflash

I stated in my first post on this subject that Payson is the venue for 2009 and 2010 24-Hour National Championships. As of this afternoon, the race promoter from Tucson Racing pulled the plug on the Payson Stampede 24-Hour mountain bike race. That means no National Championship here in Payson.

So let's see. Payson used to have it's own book called Rim Country Mountain Biking. That went out of print. Payson use to have many, many miles of good singletrack. Those trails went the way of the dinosaur. Payson use to host the Mayor's Cup. No longer. We use to have a State Championship mountain bike race here. Not now. Our last hope for a current mountain bike event was the 24-Hour Race. It was even cooler to think we were going to host a National Championship 24-Hour Race. Forget about it.

This is the reason we are working so hard to advocate for keeping mountain biking alive in Payson's Rim Country, and this is why we need your help.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trail Project

This IMBA Trail Care Crew is much needed in Payson, and you are right, Payson has a ton of potential. I was hoping IMBA would come in April, and we would go up into the Sitgreaves NF to do trail work on the Rim near the Rim Lakes, but since IMBA could only come in February, we are stuck doing trail work in Payson.

We do have a trail project lined up. The hard part is that since our local Ranger District won't control the quads, any trail work we do on Forest Service property will just get run over by the motors. The Town of Payson owns land that they are building trails on, so our IMBA trail project will likely include building 2-3 miles of new trail in Payson near our Houston Mesa trail area which is where the old XC races were usually held.

By the end of 2009, the new Forest Service Travel Management Plan will designate 40-60 percent of what's around Payson as non-motorized use only. Once we get this status officialized, we can start looking to reclaim some of our trails, and hopefully build new stuff.

On another note. It may take a few years to bring good singletrack back to Payson, but it will happen. There may not be incredible riding right in Payson proper, but within 30-60 minutes of my bike shop in Payson, there is a good 200 miles of non-motorized singletrack, that is just being rediscovered. These are trails that really haven't been fully discovered by the mountain bike world yet. Some trails are old, overgrown, and are just now being reclaimed. All these trails are either on the Rim or just below it. Come spring, summer, and fall of 09, we are going to do lots of trail work on the Rim, get a lot of people riding this Rim singletrack, and I feel the Mogollon Rim between Hwy 87 and 260, outside of Payson is poised to be the next hot spot in Arizona mountain biking. Believe me. I have know of a 30-50 mile singletrack trail on the Rim that is the best riding I have pretty much ever done. It's buried in snow right now, but come spring, we need to get a lot of you Phoenix riders up there to check it out and help plug it for us.

More to come. What this ultimately boils down to is just getting more non-motorized trails in Arizona to benefit us bikers. It'll happen. Payson won't have a choice but to start addressing the needs for non-motorized trails. We'll put Payson back on the radar as a place to ride your mountain bike. It's just going to take some time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.