Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my IMBA magazine/newsletter, and four more epic rides have been addded. There is nary a one on the list from NM. South Boundary anyone? Just wondering out loud. I rode an epic in NC this last summer. It had some good points, yet I longed for home. Most of those that ARE listed are under a pile of snow at this time. This was not lost on me as we rode the south foothills this weekend--beautiful skies, perfect temp, clear horizons, and a few smiling faces. I'm not sure if NM's the best kept secret, but it's a pretty good one. Sometimes one forgets to say thanks.

Barnman

·
Registered
711 Posts
I noticed that there weren't any epics listed in NM over the summer and wondered why myself. I dug around a little bit on the IMBA site and found some forms that have to be filled out to nominate a trail. Someone has to fill out the stuff as to why is should be an 'epic' and then submit it. I thought about nominating SB, but then went riding instead. That's the problem...the few riders this state has are all too busy riding (the thousands of miles of trails) to stop long enough to fill out paperwork. I think SB would be a slam dunk.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Shushhhh....don't tell anyone. :nono: NM sucks for Mt. Biking.....too hot, desert scrub is ugly, lots of sand...

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
done...

Hey makachut, thanks for the inspiration.

I just nominated the McGaffey trail system for epic ride status. Heck, I certainly wasn't out riding, ther's a foot and a half of snow up there, so I decided to wade through the process.

We'll see...

·
Thread Pollution
1,734 Posts
Ride on bsieb,McGaffey is a great trail system .I've ridden a few imba epic trails over the years and McGaffey fits the suit, like Greg Brady is too Johnny Bravo.
Why should we let the world know about our gem of trails?The same reason why YOU want to go ride McGaffey this spring=you heard about it on the web,people say goodthings about it, never been there and want a new adventure.Sharing is fun and I appreciate all the help I've received in order to find the epic rides out of state. instead of settling for the bike path along some greenbelt.
We won't mention the slick rock riding in the Zuni's,shhh,you'll have to buy the guide book

·
Sublime Absurdity
741 Posts
AndyN said:
I agree, who needs bragging rights that we have "IMBA-epic" rides in NM...I'd rather have uncrowded trails.
Well, it would be nice for me since my old school mtb buddy in CA is trying to convince me to do a trip to BC this year to ride Seven Springs, which is an IMBA epic ride. I don't want to travel anywhere - I live in a MTB paradise, but it is hard to convince friend because we don't have an IMBA epic here.

I have only ridden Sandia/Otero/Foothills and a lil bit of Cedro. Please help a brother out and nominate some NM singletrack goodness so I can stay home for my next MTB vacation. :thumbsup:

·
Sublime Absurdity
741 Posts
AndyN said:
If your "friend" is going to take IMBA's word over yours, well...

time for a new friend.;)
Well, the problem is that it isn't "my" word - I haen't ridden SBT and only heard about McGaffey on this thread. All I have to go off are some SBT threads in this forum and a fairly weak description in the falcon guide book. All I really know is that it is 22 miles of mostly singletrack that people call "epic."

Nothing I have read really explains what makes this trail "epic." Anybody bored at work? Help me convince bud that SBT is the magical trail that is worth his travel dollars. :D

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
sodade said:
Well, the problem is that it isn't "my" word - I haen't ridden SBT and only heard about McGaffey on this thread. All I have to go off are some SBT threads in this forum and a fairly weak description in the falcon guide book. All I really know is that it is 22 miles of mostly singletrack that people call "epic."

Nothing I have read really explains what makes this trail "epic." Anybody bored at work? Help me convince bud that SBT is the magical trail that is worth his travel dollars. :D
Have you read through the trail review section on mtbr? Here's the SBT review. Ignore the first guy, he seems to have an agenda to prove Asheville, NC the ultimate mtb destination.
http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-states-trails/trails-new-mexico/trail/PRD_169177_4565crx.aspx
If you guys end up doing SBT get a local to guide you as it can be a tricky route.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What makes an epic?

It's not the beginning of the trail for me. You climb for a couple of miles to almost 11,000 feet, I'm guessing. I am not shamed to say that I walk a portion of that due to altitude sickness. Maybe that sets up the rest of the trail. It's fantastic singletrack, two five mile sections are like riding through a fairy tale. In the fall the aspen leaves are not unlike gold coins as they kick up on the ride. The trail is fast, mostly downhill along the saddle from Angel Fire to Taos. There are a collection of whoop-de-do-s to scream over right before you hit the ledges that drop you into town. Then you ride the pavement a couple of miles more to Eske's where the beer tastes very fine. I've ridden it about four times and have seen a total of ten people besides my group. The epic part might be that I have this big grin for the next week while going over the trail in my head again and again.

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
not going to happen

AndyN said:
I agree, who needs bragging rights that we have "IMBA-epic" rides in NM...I'd rather have uncrowded trails.
I went to a concert that almost had as many people as Albuquerque. Most people don't even know the the 505/575 is a state.

But since I'm not running a store/tourist kiosk, it's irrelevant to me if the trails receive out-of-state visitors and international publicity. As long as someone tells me about them...

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey guys, there is a small group of us stuck out on the eastern plains who drive all over this beautiful state looking for new places to ride. We are all relatively new (2 years) to New Mexico and I noticed you mentioned the McGaffey trail sysem. Could you tell me where that is located? It would be greatly appreciated!

·
Hey, wait up!
1,542 Posts
xcaliber said:
hey guys, there is a small group of us stuck out on the eastern plains who drive all over this beautiful state looking for new places to ride. We are all relatively new (2 years) to New Mexico and I noticed you mentioned the McGaffey trail sysem. Could you tell me where that is located? It would be greatly appreciated!
Whereabouts on the eastern plains?

.d.

·
BOOST THAT SH*T!
785 Posts
sodade said:
Well, it would be nice for me since my old school mtb buddy in CA is trying to convince me to do a trip to BC this year to ride Seven Springs, which is an IMBA epic ride. I don't want to travel anywhere - I live in a MTB paradise, but it is hard to convince friend because we don't have an IMBA epic here.
EPIC??? What's a freaking epic anyway? That's stupid! Your "old school mtb buddy" has my permission to not come for a visit. One less person. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.