Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
depends on where you live...

from the November 10th President Update that went out to COMBA members (also posted on our website):

As alluded to in my last email, we've got some good news to report: COMBA is now an official Chapter of the International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA). We have long been an "affiliate," along with hundreds of other clubs across the nation. However, we are pleased to have been selected as one of only a handful of clubs to participate in the launch of a new Chapter program which IMBA will be rolling out in coming years.

What does this mean?

For starters, the program includes joint membership, so all current COMBA members will now also become IMBA members. Similarly, a region -- which consists loosely of Jefferson, Denver, Arapahoe, Broomfield, and Adams counties -- has been defined and all IMBA members residing therein will become COMBA members, thereby increasing membership for both organizations!

Another huge benefit is that, starting next year, IMBA will be handling our membership services, providing the technology and manpower to oversee things like renewal notices and dues collection -- business services which are often difficult to fulfill from a volunteer-led group. Additionally, we'll be able to use the buying power of IMBA to decrease some costs associated with direct marketing and the like.

Please note that COMBA will still be led locally by your elected Board of Directors. Look for more details in coming weeks, but we wanted to let you know about this important development. We're confident that COMBA's participation in the IMBA Chapter program will make us a stronger and more effective organization.​

I'm sure the new Board of Directors will be promoting this more in weeks to come, as this program is just now getting rolled out...

:)

·
rubber side down
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gotdirt said:
from the November 10th President Update that went out to COMBA members (also posted on our website):

As alluded to in my last email, we've got some good news to report: COMBA is now an official Chapter of the International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA). We have long been an "affiliate," along with hundreds of other clubs across the nation. However, we are pleased to have been selected as one of only a handful of clubs to participate in the launch of a new Chapter program which IMBA will be rolling out in coming years.

What does this mean?

For starters, the program includes joint membership, so all current COMBA members will now also become IMBA members. Similarly, a region -- which consists loosely of Jefferson, Denver, Arapahoe, Broomfield, and Adams counties -- has been defined and all IMBA members residing therein will become COMBA members, thereby increasing membership for both organizations!

Another huge benefit is that, starting next year, IMBA will be handling our membership services, providing the technology and manpower to oversee things like renewal notices and dues collection -- business services which are often difficult to fulfill from a volunteer-led group. Additionally, we'll be able to use the buying power of IMBA to decrease some costs associated with direct marketing and the like.

Please note that COMBA will still be led locally by your elected Board of Directors. Look for more details in coming weeks, but we wanted to let you know about this important development. We're confident that COMBA's participation in the IMBA Chapter program will make us a stronger and more effective organization.​

I'm sure the new Board of Directors will be promoting this more in weeks to come, as this program is just now getting rolled out...

:)
Well happy day. I stand corrected.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Shrederland said:
I guess I'm under the BMA umbrella then.
just FYI, BMA does not have joint membership w/ IMBA, so you'd need to join both organizations (which i'd highly recommend). ;)

russman said:
note: the preferred URL for this is:
...as it will soon include a chapter option for CO residents (regardless it directs you appropriately, based on where you live).

$.02

·
rubber side down
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gotdirt said:
just FYI, BMA does not have joint membership w/ IMBA, so you'd need to join both organizations (which i'd highly recommend). ;)

note: the preferred URL for this is:
...as it will soon include a chapter option for CO residents (regardless it directs you appropriately, based on where you live).

$.02
picky picky. snipe snipe.

Actually, because as far as I could tell, there was no place on this to RENEW the membership, so I called them at: 1-888-442-IMBA. The guy who renewed my membership said they're redoing their website in the next day or so. Anyway, back to my ORIGINAL point...

Back a few years ago, IMBA and COMBA (then TSC) had the same arrangment. Then it went bye bye. I'm glad it's back. Saves me $20 that I don't have to pay to renew with COMBA...now if they could only get their mailing list up to speed.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
it's all good

sorry, really not trying to be picky nor snipey (is that a word :confused:), just looking to clarify matters during the "transition" (i appreciate your starting the thread).

to that end, the-way-it-was (as you refer) was actually just a dual membership whereby you'd send one (larger) check to us and we'd forward payment on to IMBA (albeit at a slight discount) on your behalf. now as a chapter this is joint membership, where one standard-rate due gets you both memberships.

...and yes, a *major* benefit to this program is outsourcing the membership operational duties (like mailing lists) to IMBA, so you should eventually see improvement over our admitted shortcomings over the years since it will fall to paid staff instead of overworked volunteers wearing a dozen hats. ;)

(P.S. thanks for your support)

·
rubber side down
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gotdirt said:
sorry, really not trying to be picky nor snipey (is that a word :confused:), just looking to clarify matters during the "transition" (i appreciate your starting the thread).
My pleasure. And as always, appreciate your comments.

gotdirt said:
to that end, the-way-it-was (as you refer) was actually just a dual membership whereby you'd send one (larger) check to us and we'd forward payment on to IMBA (albeit at a slight discount) on your behalf. now as a chapter this is joint membership, where one standard-rate due gets you both memberships.

...and yes, a *major* benefit to this program is outsourcing the membership operational duties (like mailing lists) to IMBA, so you should eventually see improvement over our admitted shortcomings over the years since it will fall to paid staff instead of overworked volunteers wearing a dozen hats. ;)
Delegate! That's why you have members. The plea for assistance from COMBA has never gone unheard. There's plenty of people who'd like to help more.

gotdirt said:
(P.S. thanks for your support)
:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.