Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, does anyone here know the scoop on IMBA's plans up in Caliente, NV?

Original IMBA post: https://www.imba.com/blog/patrick-kell/master-trail-plan-taking-shape-caliente-nv

Partial repost from last week: NEWS: Big plans for small-town Nevada | BIKE Magazine

Maybe there's something that I'm missing, as I'm pretty new to Nevada, but I do not at all understand why IMBA would invest (limited) resources into building trail that is 100+ miles from an established city (i.e., Las Vegas) centered around a town with a population of 1,100 people (Caliente, NV) and no infrastructure to support a riding "destination." Especially when there are several other options (i.e., St. George, Hurricane, etc.) that are closer to Vegas with well-established riding?

It makes zero sense to me . . . .

·
Registered
353 Posts
The BLM in the area and the local government wanted to do something with the lands in the area in relation to the nearby state parks. When this opportunity was identified IMBA got involved to develop a new trail system. The city and the BLM have donated funds toward the project and after that IMBA put some resources in as well. My understanding is that the BLM in the area were the ones to initiate and the mtb community chimed in. A few of us in town got together with Patrick Kell a couple of weeks ago for some beers on his way back from caliente. He said the officials up there were really excited about the whole project. It sounded very cool. I was confused at first and a little bummed that this wasn't being done here in Vegas....where the people are.....but it's all because the land managers up there want this to happen. I for one will definately head up for day trips and some weekend camping once it's done. I hear it's about 2 hours away.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
They have the available land resources for a huge trail network and like bcall8 said the local government and land managers are behind it. No one would ever stop to ride in Moab or Fruita or Vernal if a similar coalition hadn't formed. I think it's cool and having ridden motos down there I know the potential is huge. I hope it really comes to fruition.

My only gripe is that it's not happening in Ely. We've got a few things going and decent start to a trail network up here, plus we have a non-profit trails alliance in place, an actual riding community, a favorable relationship with FS land managers, and just as limitless land potential as Lincoln County.

Kinda envious that they've beat us to the punch.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Good to see the land management agencies, city, county, and local resources plus IMBA working together to accomplish the trails. Gives riders another option for riding as a destination or on their way through. I have often wondered why more places have not pulled together to create more riding destinations in warmer areas to attract the colder climate riders. Sure is a good way to diversify an economy. Looking forward to riding there. Best of Luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey all,
As the VP of SNMBA, I can speak on the progress of this area and why. bcall8 and KRob are right with both comments. We've been in close contact with the Southwest IMBA director Patrick Kell and understand their (Caliente) desire to establish an epic destination for people. As KRob says, you would have never stopped in any of these places if mountain bike trails did not exist there. Why go to Caliente? Why go to Hurricane? Because trails are there. We don't go to Gooseberry Mesa because of St. George, or Moab because of the large city that surrounds it (none). We go for the trails. As Patrick Kell says, what was Moab 50 years ago? Heck, how about 25 (c. 1989)? It wasn't what it is today. Mountain biking made Moab, Fruita, and Downieville (and more) what they are today. Legendary. Now, I agree, we ALL want trails in our backyard, multitudes of them and the best in the world even, but you would eventually go elsewhere knowing that you ride these every day are getting stale. Just ask the locals in Moab or Sedona. They love them, but they go elsewhere just like us to experience some change. If you could help a small town achieve their dream, would you?

Now, the BLM in Caliente is completely different than our local BLM here (I tread carefully here). Locally, we live in many "protected" or "conservation" areas that really limit what we can do. These areas are typically the best terrain and scenery available, but those "__" words limit our ability to expand. Caliente's area is 50 miles by 40 miles with 4 MILLION acres of available "do as you will" land. If you were handed a blank check and said do as you wish, would you write it for $20 and get a case of beer? Or could you envision something greater and be involved at ground level to build a trail system spectacular and legendary that future generation can thoroughly enjoy? I hope you would.

Yes, Caliente is about 2 hour from Vegas. So is Gooseberry, door to door. I have no problem going on a day trip to Goose. Even camp there. Only once did I stay in St. George, and that was to ride the local trails the next day.

In this current society of instant information and gratification, it's hard to grasp the long-term picture and see what's in everyone's best interest because we all want it now. That's no jab, that's just the truth. Patience is very hard to come by in 2014, even if you find it on clearance somewhere. I guess if no one every said anything about the future of Caliente and just built it quietly, then one day, 40+ miles of epic singletrack and DH trails appear, everyone would rave. Let's have that happen.

On a side note, if you live in SoNV, you might want to pay attention to the new trail systems being built on Mt Charleston that our Forestry Service is allowing. They are being about as nice as BLM in Caliente. Kudos to the FS.

Thanks for listening to this long explanation.
Erik Montville

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I truly appreciate the detailed explanation, Erik et al. I agree that its kind of "Field of Dreams-esque . . . build it, and they will come!"

My biggest curiosity was mainly related to "why there?" as it seems(ed) very obscure. I'm sure that, as mentioned, Moab and the likes were little to nothing prior to being developed as MTB destination, and hopefully Caliente will experience a similar fate over the next decade. I have some experience working with land management and know from first hand experience that if the give a green light, you do NOT hesitate.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Thanks for the explanation Erik. I totally agree. If 40-50miles of epic singletrack just appeared around Caliente I'd certainly drive the two hours down from Ely to ride it.... especially in the Spring when things are still covered in snow here.

Just out of curiosity, who is the BLM rec planner you are dealing with in Caliente? Lincoln County is part of the Ely BLM district (the largest BLM district by acreage in the lower 48) and the one up here has bureaucratitis. She seems very hesitant to do anything the least bit progressive as far as trails.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Think Aout It?

Do the names Moab, Virgin, Hurricane or Boulder City mean anything to you? None of these places were on the map before people started investing time and money into them for MTB. When I was a kid, back in the early 80s, no one rode bikes in Moab, it was a small uranium mining town with some Jeep trails that led nowheren ow look at the place!!!. Virgin Utah???? who ever has heard of that place for MTBing untill Mike and Morgan Harris forged out trails called Gooseberry Mesa and Little Creek Mesa, now IMBA, the BLM and the Southern Utah area are on fire with awesome riding. How about Boulder City NV, just another small Nevada town with 0 roots in mountain biking, till an old, dearly departed friend left a rake, pick and a shovel at the end of a homemade single trak and enacetd the rule that "if you ride the Mother Trail you have to cut ten more feet of trail at the end." These are all examlpes of what Caliente can be, I know I've ridden there on dirt bikes and the possibilities are endless. The last time I saw IMBA, a small town and the BLM get in bed together they created a little place called Prescott AZ, if you haven't ridden there you should try it. Look up Chris Hoskings (He runs the trail program for the City of Prescott) and ask him what can be accomplished when we all work together. The most appealing part of Caliente is that it is far from all of the places you mentioned, isn't that what MTB is all about? Get out and ride!!!
Hey, does anyone here know the scoop on IMBA's plans up in Caliente, NV?

Original IMBA post: https://www.imba.com/blog/patrick-kell/master-trail-plan-taking-shape-caliente-nv

Partial repost from last week: NEWS: Big plans for small-town Nevada | BIKE Magazine

Maybe there's something that I'm missing, as I'm pretty new to Nevada, but I do not at all understand why IMBA would invest (limited) resources into building trail that is 100+ miles from an established city (i.e., Las Vegas) centered around a town with a population of 1,100 people (Caliente, NV) and no infrastructure to support a riding "destination." Especially when there are several other options (i.e., St. George, Hurricane, etc.) that are closer to Vegas with well-established riding?

It makes zero sense to me . . . .

·
Registered
425 Posts
This has been the best news to hit the MTB community in NV in a long time. Probably since Brent started the aforementioned "Build the Mother Trail" process at BC. I have also ridden dirt bike races around Caliente many times when I was a kid. Yes they actually had motors back then. I'm not that old! I love the area up there and hope this turns in to what the potential really is. Looking forward to the drive up there!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey all,
As the VP of SNMBA, I can speak on the progress of this area and why. bcall8 and KRob are right with both comments. We've been in close contact with the Southwest IMBA director Patrick Kell and understand their (Caliente) desire to establish an epic destination for people. As KRob says, you would have never stopped in any of these places if mountain bike trails did not exist there. Why go to Caliente? Why go to Hurricane? Because trails are there. We don't go to Gooseberry Mesa because of St. George, or Moab because of the large city that surrounds it (none). We go for the trails. As Patrick Kell says, what was Moab 50 years ago? Heck, how about 25 (c. 1989)? It wasn't what it is today. Mountain biking made Moab, Fruita, and Downieville (and more) what they are today. Legendary. Now, I agree, we ALL want trails in our backyard, multitudes of them and the best in the world even, but you would eventually go elsewhere knowing that you ride these every day are getting stale. Just ask the locals in Moab or Sedona. They love them, but they go elsewhere just like us to experience some change. If you could help a small town achieve their dream, would you?

Now, the BLM in Caliente is completely different than our local BLM here (I tread carefully here). Locally, we live in many "protected" or "conservation" areas that really limit what we can do. These areas are typically the best terrain and scenery available, but those "__" words limit our ability to expand. Caliente's area is 50 miles by 40 miles with 4 MILLION acres of available "do as you will" land. If you were handed a blank check and said do as you wish, would you write it for $20 and get a case of beer? Or could you envision something greater and be involved at ground level to build a trail system spectacular and legendary that future generation can thoroughly enjoy? I hope you would.

Yes, Caliente is about 2 hour from Vegas. So is Gooseberry, door to door. I have no problem going on a day trip to Goose. Even camp there. Only once did I stay in St. George, and that was to ride the local trails the next day.

In this current society of instant information and gratification, it's hard to grasp the long-term picture and see what's in everyone's best interest because we all want it now. That's no jab, that's just the truth. Patience is very hard to come by in 2014, even if you find it on clearance somewhere. I guess if no one every said anything about the future of Caliente and just built it quietly, then one day, 40+ miles of epic singletrack and DH trails appear, everyone would rave. Let's have that happen.

On a side note, if you live in SoNV, you might want to pay attention to the new trail systems being built on Mt Charleston that our Forestry Service is allowing. They are being about as nice as BLM in Caliente. Kudos to the FS.

Thanks for listening to this long explanation.
Erik Montville
Erik,

While I appreciate your comments about what is happening in Caliente, I have to chime in on the comment about the limited area for trails due to "protected" or "conservation" areas. I don't think this prevents the BLM from doing anything in Las Vegas. They may use it as an excuse but history shows that they can put trails most anywhere as would be indicated by the 2 mile trail they built in the last 3 years off of the McCullogh Trail in Sloan Canyon Conservation Area.

In fact, that is the only trail which I am aware that they built. I have heard that they did some of the trails in Cottonwood but I am not sure. If the local office wanted more then there would be more.

Andrew

·
Registered
425 Posts
I thought I'd breathe some life back into this old thread to see if there is any new info on Caliente trails. I see where the trail system at Beatty is progressing, but haven't heard anything new about Caliente. Anyone with an update?

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.