Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I didn't even know Tinker was at the race until I looked at the results tonight. I'm surprised I didn't see him out on the course. I mean we're practically in the same galaxy when it comes to our times. ;) Ok, ok. So he whooped my sorry butt. Well he whooped everyone else too... but that's no big surprise. He did the 100mile event in about the same time as it took me to do the 100K (actually 67miles)... about 10 hours.

I've always wanted to do an endurance type race on awesome singletrack in beautiful surroundings. I mean, what better way to sample all the best trails in Park City all in one day without having to consult maps or hire a guide , right? I guess in effect I did "hire" Boris the race promoter to mark out the terrific course and supply the great volunteers and well stocked aid stations, etc. but you know what I mean. The only problem was I'd never ridden more than about 35 miles in a day before and had only entered one other mtb race in my life.

I decided not to concern myself with minor details like this and just do it. I mean it's only about twice as far as my longest ride and the 12,000 feet of climbing couldn't be that bad, could it?

So I rode a lot this summer like usual and, after poking around the Endurance Racing forum, experimented a bit with ways to refuel my body on longer rides and just as a test did a fifty miler on the Saturday a week before the race. A few leg cramps after 40 miles, but no puking so I was ready to go. Some training plan, huh?

Edit: After boring myself reading the long version I cut it down to this:

How did it go? It was fun. I finished 5th in class 40-49 (there was no breakdown for expert/sport/beginner, just age) and 14th overall and, most importantly, I survived. The trails were great with 90 percent of them singletrack and the scenery was spectacular. I'll probably do this again. :)

And, hey, I got to race "with" Tinker. Very cool. :cool:

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
nice account--sounds like fun. Tinker's one of the class guys at the sport--I rode with him once in SanAnton and also Ned once at a trail north of DFW.

I did an 80 miler once on the mtb--the mtb version of the death ride held in Kansas--thankfully it was mainly dirt/gravel road type so I survived. I don't have probably more than 40 miles on singletrack in any one day but I still think I'm gunna be sick enough to sign up 4 the 24 hrs of Hell here on Oahu solo this year. Just for fun--who says I have to go out there and ride continuous.

Glad your event went as u expected and you want more.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Congrats

Believe it or not, I was just looking up your results. I rode 20 miles of your racecourse earlier in the week and saw the markings. Beautiful, but what a massive amount of climbing! Maybe next year (or the next or...)

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob the Wheelbuilder said:
Believe it or not, I was just looking up your results. I rode 20 miles of your racecourse earlier in the week and saw the markings. Beautiful, but what a massive amount of climbing! Maybe next year (or the next or...)
I just about quit after 50 miles, especially after doing part of stage 3 twice by accident adding anothr 2 miles on, but after sitting at the aid station in Deer Valley for about 15-20 minutes trying to refuel and taking stock, I figured I might as well press on. I wasn't looking forward to the climb up the Tour De Suds course back up towards Guardsmen, but I new it was mostly down after that. What the heck, I'd paid my money, so I might as well get my money's worth, right?

It was beautiful, and stage four had some variations on the way back towards PC resort that were well worth the ride.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
great report & congrats on a strong finish. 100 mi of singletrack and 12,000' climbing? ouch!!

KRob said:
Edit: After boring myself reading the long version I cut it down to this:
LOL! that's often how i edit my race reports. if it puts me to sleep i'm sure no one else needs to know that part of it. :D

rt

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
*rt* said:
great report & congrats on a strong finish. 100 mi of singletrack and 12,000' climbing? ouch!!

LOL! that's often how i edit my race reports. if it puts me to sleep i'm sure no one else needs to know that part of it. :D

rt
Thanks. You're the standard for great race reports, rt. If it was as entertaining as yours or glenzx or BV, I would've kept it.

The 100mile had over 18,000 feet of climbing. I "only" did the 100k. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Sounds like an excellent event Rob! Great write up too, and congrats on completing a tough race. 100K is crazy hard. 100 miles is NUTS! - 12/18K feet of climbing? Ow. Way to tough it out after the reprieve in the middle.

Where was this? SLC = Salt Lake, I assume, but have not heard of the event before....

·
Registered
612 Posts
Good job!

Great job finishing the 100K. I definitely share your sentiments about the race course. My wife and I pre-rode some of the course on Friday and I had planned on just riding for an hour to loosen the legs but it was so fun we kept going, and going...

I have never been so mentally taxed after a mtn bike ride. I felt as if I had to concentrate 100% all of the time. That climb back up to Silver Lake Lodge and AID #3 / 50 Mile Finish was tough.

I thought Boris' crew did a great job marking the course and overcame some determined locals who evidently kept pulling the marker flags prior to the race. It would have been so easy for an out-of-towner like me to get lost on this course.

I will definintely go back next year!

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
glenzx said:
Sounds like an excellent event Rob! Great write up too, and congrats on completing a tough race. 100K is crazy hard. 100 miles is NUTS! - 12/18K feet of climbing? Ow. Way to tough it out after the reprieve in the middle.

Where was this? SLC = Salt Lake, I assume, but have not heard of the event before....
Thanks. It's in Park City, UT just above SLC in the Wasatch mountains. Great trails.Yes, it was a good event. It's in its secong year. Here is the link. Boris does three big races a year in Park City including a 24 hour race and a team race. Well marked, well run. Of course I don't have a lot to compare it too not having done much racing before.

I'll try and post some pictures here when the server isn't acting up.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dave in Driggs said:
Great job finishing the 100K. I definitely share your sentiments about the race course. My wife and I pre-rode some of the course on Friday and I had planned on just riding for an hour to loosen the legs but it was so fun we kept going, and going...
Thanks. Great job on your top ten overall finish and class podium in the fifty miler. We should have set up a way to meet at the riders meeting or something. I was surprised at how rocky some of the course was and worried about pinch flats especially on stage one and coming down off stage two into Aid station 2. The Conti Gravity/Vapor combo worked great and stuck like velcro in the loose switchbacks.

Dave in Driggs said:
I have never been so mentally taxed after a mtn bike ride. I felt as if I had to concentrate 100% all of the time. That climb back up to Silver Lake Lodge and AID #3 / 50 Mile Finish was tough.
Tell me about it. I didn't have too much trouble focusing during the race (except when I turned back out onto stage three when I got to the top of the hill just a few 100 yards from the aid station... D'oh.), but driving the 4 hours back to Ely that afternoon.... now that was tough.

Dave in Driggs said:
I thought Boris' crew did a great job marking the course and overcame some determined locals who evidently kept pulling the marker flags prior to the race. It would have been so easy for an out-of-towner like me to get lost on this course.

I will definintely go back next year!
Yes, I thought he did a great job marking. I'm still not sure how I missed the turn back onto the "stick" in the lollipop on stage three. I went back down the Deer Creek trail about a mile before recognizing that I was back out on stage three again. Now climbing back up that when I knew it was all "bonus" mileage was brutal. It started hailing about then to boot. That's when I started to think about quitting after fifty. I'm glad I didn't.

Thanks again for all your advice over on the Endurance and Tire forums. The Perpetuem, HEED, and Endurolytes saved the day. I wished I'd mixed up more of the Perpetuem and had some in a abottle with me on the course. The HammerGels and GU kept me going but I needed some more fuel occasionally between stages and it was hard to chew anything fast enough without choking. The solid stuff is ok in my stomach if I can get it down there... but it just takes too long. The Perpetuem worked good but I'd usually already drank enough HEED and water at that point that it wsa hard to for my stomach to hold anymore liquid. Maybe next time I'll experiment with mixing up the Perpetuem thicker like runny oatmeal or yogurt.

I'll definitely be back next year too.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thanks a lot. I was very happy with my time especially since I am pretty new to racing. After riding a bit of the course on Friday I decided to carry two tubes just in case. I was happy that I didn't have to deal with any flats but I thought that flats might be an issue.

With the technical nature of the course, I had a hard time grabbing the water bottle to take sips of Perpetuem at times. I ended up adding 4 scoops per bottle and I mixed a new bottle at each AID station. So I went through 12 scoops of Perpetuem in 6:42 plus I took a couple hits of Hammer Gel. I need to find a better way to carry Endurolytes during races so that they are easy to get to and take while riding. I think they would just melt if I put them in a jersey pocket loose. Hammer needs a "Pez Dispensor" for their Endurolytes. I stuck to the 3 Endurolytes per hour routine and I had no cramps and no stomach issues.

Next year let's arrange to meet at the pre race meeting if not before. I would like to go down a few days earlier and ride more of the course simply because the trails are so fun.

KRob said:
Thanks. Great job on your top ten overall finish and class podium in the fifty miler. We should have set up a way to meet at the riders meeting or something. I was surprised at how rocky some of the course was and worried about pinch flats especially on stage one and coming down off stage two into Aid station 2. The Conti Gravity/Vapor combo worked great and stuck like velcro in the loose switchbacks.

Thanks again for all your advice over on the Endurance and Tire forums. The Perpetuem, HEED, and Endurolytes saved the day. I wished I'd mixed up more of the Perpetuem and had some in a abottle with me on the course. The HammerGels and GU kept me going but I needed some more fuel occasionally between stages and it was hard to chew anything fast enough without choking. The solid stuff is ok in my stomach if I can get it down there... but it just takes too long. The Perpetuem worked good but I'd usually already drank enough HEED and water at that point that it wsa hard to for my stomach to hold anymore liquid. Maybe next time I'll experiment with mixing up the Perpetuem thicker like runny oatmeal or yogurt.

I'll definitely be back next year too.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A Couple of pics from the E100

Unloading: I was lucky enough to score a bed and a good meal the night before about one mile from the start at my Aunts condo. Thanks Elaine!!
It was dark at the start. : About 1 in 4 riders had lights at the start.... That was enough.
Aid station 1: Well stocked and helpful people. I sucked down the rest of my HEED so I could refill it then didn't have enough stomach capacity to take in too much Perpetuem. Choked down a Cliff Bar and a banana.
The only "action" shot of the day: Never took the time to shoot any pics of the good trail. There were a few of these steep ski lift service roads. but 90 percent of the course is singletrack.
Finish: It felt good to complete the race. I'm smiling on the inside. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More pics

I found a couple of pics on my hard drive from a trip to PC I took a few years ago to give you an idea of the scenic trails.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Spring is coming and it's time to change the toys we play with. Over
President's Day weekend I was invited to race with riders from the Mad
Dog Cycles team at the 24 Hours of Old Pueblo in Tucson, Arizona. It
was a wonderful change to go from the 10 ft. of snow in Park City to
temperatures in the 70's.

This great event took place in a beautiful setting, with great
singletrack rolling through an endless desert of sharp cactuses. I
have never seen that many cactuses in my life! It was quite
challenging, especially at night, to avoid them. On my second night
lap I learned the hard way that it is quite painful to remove big
cactus needles from your arm. :) :'(

In many ways the course at OP reminded me of our 12 Hour course - fast
and fun middle chain ring riding.

It was very nice to see so many good friends and racers from The E 100
events down in Tucson. All of them are excited and planning to be
back for our '06 series, which will be better than ever.

Tinker Juarez, this years OP solo winner, and The E 100 reigning
champion promises to be back in '06 to defend his title. David Harris,
winner of the '05 12 Hour solo and The E 100 Overall Series champion,
will be back racing in all of our events. You can read his '05 series
review at: http://borisart.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72

The E 100 women's winner, Lynda Wallenfels, who crushed the female
solo competition in OP, promises to win all three of The E 100 events
this year. Ladies, I think that is a direct challenge!

The registration for 2006 is filling rapidly, with a lot of new people
from all over the country preparing to make the trip to Park City for
The E 100 races. We are seeing hundreds of visitors daily to our
website. Remember that all events will have a cap of 499 riders per
race, so reserve your spot before it is to late!

In just a short time we have seen our races become some of the premier
events in endurance mountain bike racing. In 2005 Cannondale choose
our series to launch their new line of XC bikes. We are thrilled with
the way the series is growing, and we are looking forward to 2006,
which promises to be just as challenging, and rewarding as ever.

Our 2004 The E 100 TV program won two Emmy awards in the sports
documentary film categories. You can purchase the DVD ($20) of this
program from Park City TV: http://www.parkcity.tv

The 2005 race DVD is currently in production, but you can watch a
short clip of from each race at our website:
http://thee100.com/main.html.

PC TV would like to interview racers from all three 2005 events.
Please contact Jason Ball, PC TV Director/Cinematographer, by email
at: [email protected] to schedule your appointment.

Meanwhile, please visit our chat room:
http://borisart.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=8/
To read posts from Jonathan Baker, a racer who just 12 weeks after
finishing intense chemotherapy found the strength and courage to
finish the '04 E100 in just over 12 hours! Also be sure to read up on
the incredible Bobby McMullen, who is planning to race in the 50 miler
this year, despite being blind. Jonathan and Bobby both are a real
inspiration for all of us.

See you all on the mountain this summer!

Thank you,
Boris

The Endurance 100
www.theE100.com

·
Registered
137 Posts
Last weekend we went to Leadville and it was a lot of fun.
It was quite an interesting experience to be in a new role: after several times racing at the Leadville 100 and organizing the E100 series I got to see the race from a new perspective. This time me and my buddy Kevin decided to be the support team and cheer leaders for three our friends.
The day before the race we rode from Leadville through Independence pass to Aspen and back. The day of the race we were very busy helping our friends.
It was fun and a great exercise for our hands doing clapping for 10+ hours.
So invite your friends and family members to The E 100 event -it will be spectacular! The next day we rode a really epic ride to Mt. Evans on the highest paved road, topping out at 14,135 ft. It was a great ride and a really enjoyable trip.

Time is flying and it is just a few days before the Grand Finale event.
The weather is cooling down and the mornings can be quite cold.
We have special [Bdiscount hotel rates with The Canyons and Prospector Square Lodge.][/B] More information on our web site at the "About Park City' page.
The days are getting shorter so prepare LIGHTING SYSTEMS for our start at 6:00 AM. We have had a lot of rain recently, so the trails are in great shape, packed and fast!

The course is marked and ready to go! All 2006 racecourse maps and directions with this years changes are on our RACE COURSE web site.
To pre ride and study the course I recommend downloading each stage map with directions and use it together with 2006 Trail maps from Mountain Trails Foundation. These maps are very informative and you can purchase them for a $2donation at any outdoor retailer in Park City.

Registration is going very strong with a huge growth of 135% for each event. You still can register on-line until this Friday, or at Pre EVENT Registration on August 25.

Attention: Participants in our two previous events, don't miss out on becoming aTRIPLE CROWN SERIES MEMBER. You will receive an EXTRA AWARD package, valued at over $120, with MAXXIS tire, TIMBERLAND shoe gift certificate and a HEADSWEATS The E100 race hat.

Check out our web site for The E 100 Overall POINTS competition for Male, Female and Teams. In addition to our individual points series, we also have a series competition for your clubs and teams. This provides many people the opportunity to contribute to their TEAM to a very prestigious title, the E 100 Series Championship!

We are proud that our events are part of theUS National Ultra Endurance MTB series http://www.usmtb100.com/MX/ and regional NORBA Rocky Mountain Ultra MTB series http://warriorscycling.com/results2006/rmu.php
It is very interesting to see the Point Standings in these two series. As the season comes to an end, the race for the overall titles will definitely start to heat up.

Please review the ATHLETES SCHEDULE on our web site http://borisart.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=38
Pre Registration is MANDATORY.

The E 100 Solo Event SWAG will include a Wristband from Challenge Athletes Foundation, brochures from our sponsors, Hammer Nutrition samples, One Raffle ticket, 2006 event T-shirt and water bottle.

We will have cold, free BUDWEISER BEER and RED BULL at The Canyons 100-mile race finish.

Please come for the AWARDS CEREMONY ON SUNDAY to receive AWARDS and to WIN RAFFLE prizes from our SPONSORS.
Buy extra raffle tickets and win more prizes!

For future development of our series we want to ask for favor of race participants who own Garmin Edge 205/305 or Garmin 60CSx GPS. We have collected track data for most of the stages and you can download them to your Garmin Edge 205/305 GPS unit as a course.
We encourage you to download the e100 racecourse to your Edge 205/305 or Forerunner and activate the course during the race; we would also like you feedback on how well the GPS course works for you. If you haven't used the Course function of your Edge 205/305 before, I suggest that you review the information at http://wiki.motionbased.com/mb/courses
Please collect track data during the race and allow us to upload the data to MotionBased.com and download the data to mapping software. We would like to collect data of the individual stages during training rides and during the actual race. Please contact Stan Plaisier at [email protected] or 435-655-0789 to coordinate downloading the course and collection data during the race. Stan is in the process of finalizing the course track data and will forward the MotionBased.com link by e-mail if you contact him with your information.

Take it easy before the BIG ONE and we will see you this Friday.

Best regards,

Boris
www.TheE100.com

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Boris.....holy BUMP!

Feel free to start a NEW thread, and not resurrect the old one - though KRob's report is cool - just link to it in a NEW post.

Gets confusing seeing what appeared to be an identical race report - until thick headed types like me saw the DATE!

:skep:

Sounds like another excellent E100 coming up!

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
glenzx said:
Feel free to start a NEW thread, and not resurrect the old one - though KRob's report is cool - juts link to it in a NEW post.

Gets confusing seeing what appeared to be an identical race report - until thick headed types like me saw the DATE!

:skep:

Sounds like another excellent E100 coming up!
LOL. That's what I was thinking. Talk about dragging one back from the dead!

Looking forward to this Saturday and my second go at the E100. Boris puts on a great event. If you're remotely close to the area, come on out. You won't be dissappointed. Beautiful trails and well run race.

I'll post up a (new) report after this weekend.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.