Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in another thread that I thought the riding season was over a couple of weeks ago, for this I'm sorry. I finally quit being a scrooge and decided to embrace this winter riding stuff. I layered up and headed out the door to ride come local bits and pieces (ATV trails and some singletrack spurs along Big Creek). I could not believe how fast the frozen trails were, not as fast as nice summer conditions but I was still surprised. Had a great 2 hour outing, can't wait to go again now.

The IDrive taking a break

The river is flooded, this dam is usually about 6 feet tall.

Stop along part of the OFSC snowmobile trail

Where is the beaver?

Fast Trak's are not the best tire choice for riding on ice, I took a nice crash and slide here

Another crash in the ice, I made it through the water only to eat it on the ice..... studded tires may be in order

Trying one of those cool from the handlebar shots and failing

Alright, I feel like a kid again, all excited to ride in the snow and ice.

Dear Santa,
Please bring Eric some studded tires for his bike, I've been good all year.
Eric
;)

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Yeah, it's amazing how rubber gives you almost zero traction on ice. I planned on hitting up some rail trail yesterday, but I quickly turned that into a road ride after a fall.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
singlesprocket said:
great pics! when you get studded tires the converson will be complete...
No doubt, I've been pricing out some studded tires but am worried about the road sections I ride and how much of the studs will wear off / fall out because of the road use.

·
Registered
388 Posts
RatchAttack said:
No doubt, I've been pricing out some studded tires but am worried about the road sections I ride and how much of the studs will wear off / fall out because of the road use.
Nokian recommends you ride 50km on pavement to seat the carbide studs before riding them off road, otherwise you risk pulling out some studs. They also make a carbide studded commuter tire, so wear shouldn't be a problem. Steel studded tires would wear faster on the road, but if you're only riding a few kms to the trailhead it shouldn't matter too much.

I'm running a pair of Freddies Revenz this year. Slow and very loud on pavement, and expensive, but they have an incredible amount of grip on icy trails and its hard not to like a tire with prevent ass munch and other warnings molded into it.

·
Avenger of Evil
577 Posts
Nice pics Eric.
I rode Guelph Lake last saturday with my High Rollers, and it was slipery.:eek:
I guess I was good this year also, 'caus santa brought me some Schwalbe Ice Spikers.:D
I am going out today to ride Guelph Lake again, with the new tires.
I'll let you know how they work.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1440Brad said:
Nice pics Eric.
I rode Guelph Lake last saturday with my High Rollers, and it was slipery.:eek:
I guess I was good this year also, 'caus santa brought me some Schwalbe Ice Spikers.:D
I am going out today to ride Guelph Lake again, with the new tires.
I'll let you know how they work.
Awesome let me know!

Guelph Lake........ I only rode there once this year, I kinda miss the fast singletrack in there.

·
Avenger of Evil
577 Posts
RatchAttack said:
Awesome let me know!

Guelph Lake........ I only rode there once this year, I kinda miss the fast singletrack in there.
Well,
Went for a ride today with the new tires. WOW!!!:eekster: I could not believe the traction on ice. It was like magic. I slid around more on the dry ground during the summer, than I did on the ice today.
Last year I fell while winter riding. The bruising lasted 5 weeks. :madman: This year I spent some cash on the studded tires. Money well spent.:thumbsup:
Spend the cash, you won't regret it.:D

BTW If you want to ride Guelph Lake again, give me a call.

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts
cyclelicious said:
I'm confused! Is this a Ski review site....
You are not confused, but rather you do not want non-bike related posts on MTBreview. Which is understandable. You have to sort through a lot of trash to find the treasures.I have found many treasures, especially in the Alaska & Passion forums. Not all are bike related.The reason I enjoy posting here is because its such a lively and accepting forum compared to many others I have surfed. And some of the people on here I know enjoy seeing photos of "whatever". I particularily like posts from off the beaten path. Unfortunately we seldom see posts from Newfoundland, the Maritimes, and Quebec in here anymore.
I have posted a couple of ski related posts, so I guess that will have to do me :) See you guys in the spring:thumbsup:

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
BlackCanoeDog said:
See you guys in the spring:thumbsup:
Personally, I don't mind "off topic" posts. Many of us here, myself included are guilty of submitting off topic threads.

We don't really have any guidelines that say we can only discuss certain topics. We've all gathered here, due to one common interest. Does that mean that we should not share our other interests?

·
Registered
349 Posts
BlackCanoeDog said:
You are not confused, but rather you do not want non-bike related posts on MTBreview. Which is understandable.

SNIP

I have posted a couple of ski related posts, so I guess that will have to do me :) See you guys in the spring:thumbsup:
I Cross Country Ski and Snowshoe as well as the occasional bike ride on Snowmobile trails during the MTB 'White' season. So I appreciate the 'shoulder' season pictures of an incredible place to ride the rest of the year. Thanks BCD:thumbsup: . But I certainly see the points of others as well.

Hey BCD, remember that summer commute you posted this year. Any of it rideable?
I guess when sled season really hits that sled trail out to Torrance Barrens will be well packed for a winter ride as well?

Stosh

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Stosh (Canada) said:
I Cross Country Ski and Snowshoe as well as the occasional bike ride on Snowmobile trails during the MTB 'White' season. So I appreciate the 'shoulder' season pictures of an incredible place to ride the rest of the year. Thanks BCD:thumbsup: . But I certainly see the points of others as well.

Stosh
It's no coincidence that many here are passionate about winter sports like skiing and snowshoeing.

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts
Stosh (Canada) said:

Hey BCD, remember that summer commute you posted this year. Any of it rideable?
I guess when sled season really hits that sled trail out to Torrance Barrens will be well packed for a winter ride as well?

Stosh
Stosh...I have heard that people snowshoe and backcountry ski at Torrance Barrens but I have no direct knowledge or experience to comment with. I should check that out sometime. Sled trails are a touchy subject in this region and I expect elsewhere. Sled Clubs groom the trails, riders pay passes etc. Many of them get very riled when they see skiers, snowshoers, or (rare in these parts)cyclists on "their" trails. Not to mention speeding and even intoxicated sledders:eek: The OPP have to maintain a significant presence on our sled trails running patrols...that's how bad it gets on weekends! If you decide to try it out go mid week. Weekend sled traffic is such that the locals go midweek and avoid weekends. Trails are in much better shape midweek for the same reason. If multi-use of sled trails were welcome in Muskoka, believe me I would be plunking down the coin for one of those Alaska Fat Tyre bikes immediately:thumbsup:

edit: Stosh, the off road portions of my home-work commute is on the Taboo Resort property. I am not aware of those trails being used in winter. Which is a shame, because it's 1000 acres just a few kilometres from my place.

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
BlackCanoeDog said:
I particularily like posts from off the beaten path. Unfortunately we seldom see posts from Newfoundland, the Maritimes, and Quebec in here anymore...
I was in Newfoundland last March...I had a dirty MTB thought here....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.