Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, for a while now, my three year old boy has been going with when I take the dog out for an after work walk. For the past few months, he's been riding his very chi-chi, fully rigid, fixie, SS, trike complete with handlebar streamers and basket behind the seat.

Anyway, there's a spot in the sidewalk where there's about a 3 foot gap for drainage. He always has approached the gap with uncertainty and would dismount at that point and drag the bike across.

Well today.............I was about 50 feet behind him while my dog was having a private moment.......I look up ahead and see him slowly approach the gap deliberately sizing it up. He stopped inches short but still was eying the drop. I could actually see the gears in his head turning. He backed up just a big and then went forward again. the front wheel was just about over the edge this time when he stopped. Being the good father that I am, I just stood there and watched to see what he'd do.

He didn't attempt this "huck" today but I think he's got it in him. I'm confident that he'll be launching it within the month!

I'm not sure where he got it from though since I'm purely an XC guy who likes the wheels firmly on the ground but if he can pull it off, more power to him! Heck, a curb is about as big a huck as I ever do anyway! ;-)

YR

·
Its only 1" on the map!
1,161 Posts
I know the feeling, it is great.

Keep the video camera close by as those "1st" only happen once.

Here is my oldest grommet when he was three, on his first ride without training wheels. We had tried to bike without the training wheels before but he was never confident enough to have me let go of him. But this day I was merely running along beside him with just one finger on his back. I asked him if he wanted me to let go. He giggled and said Okay. The training wheels were never put back on. Here is Grommet #1's first minutes "Two Wheeling It".

Grommet's First 2-wheeled ride

Grommet's First Turn

The next thing you know, he will be screaming "On Your Left, Dad!" (He is not quite there yet :D )

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Congrats, hope to see pics real soon of your kid hucking on the trike.

Good to see proud parent posts, it's great to see how your kid develops his riding skills with you as a witness.

Mine started to race at 5 and still races at 10 but this year has been only road and track, the mtb has been relegated to fun rides with dad recently.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Ain't it great...

Mine turned 3 yesterday and has been scaring the sh*t outta me for 8 or 9 months now. He'll scream hills on his trike tipping it on two wheels with a huge grin all the way. I'm learning just not to watch.

I bought him one of these to smooth the transition from trike to bike. I'm not pushing him (yet), but so far he enjoys it but still prefers the trike. He jumped on one of the neighbor's kid's bicycle with training wheel's a couple of weeks ago and just took off. It's just a matter of time now.

Congrats on the future huckster.

TCN

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.