Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the summer i would ride at least 35 roadie miles 6 days a week. Ever since school has started, i have gotton progressively slower. My lungs feel like they're going to pop on everyride i do, and I can barely do intervals now. I went from beast to b*tch in 5 months. SOS Help me. What training should i do. I only have about 1hr-1.5hr to train. Any suggestions as to some exercises i could do. I have a trainer, road bike, mtn bike, weights, all that. please help!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
The worst thing you can do is attempt interval level work without a good base of fitness on which to base those efforts.

Right now, just focus on getting your base riding fitness back. Ride as much as you can, keeping the effort steady tempo range, maybe pushing it a bit on the hills. Keep this up until you feel comfortable cruising along at 75-80% LT for the whole 1-1.5 hours. Then you can add in the interval level effort to get the speed back.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ya that's about what I did. Except I ran cross country so I'm not that out of shape. Lots of base miles are the key to a good season.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
"I went from beast to b*tch in 5 months."

I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone loses fitness this time of the year. Did you really take 5 months off?? Or just limited riding for 5 months?? How many average days per week??

I took three weeks or so completely off in October, but started building base late November and doing mild strength/flexibity work. Doing lots of skate skiing to build base fitness. Only doing base aerobic work about 4 times a week. Want to be careful not to catch a cold from over-training.

No one is going to break any personal records this time of the year.

·
Registered
41 Posts
be patient, ur not going to get back to beast that fast. take ur time. one to one point five hours a day is not bad, dude, i even have less.... with that much limited time, focus more on the quality of your workouts rather than quantity. and yeah eat right. keep riding and if you want to be fast again.... DONT TAKE FIVE MONTHS OFF!!!!

·
What It Be ?
890 Posts
I know the feeling. Before I moved back to VA i was riding 40 miles a day 4 times a week and 60 or so on sundays unless I hit the dirt. I haven't really been keeing at it like I should here latley. Dead on the bike now, Gotta get it togter by april 1st. Trainer and cold road rides knocking out miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.