Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ever since i ate $#!! a month ago family and strangers alike have asked me how i ended up with a scar running down the lenth of my nose, i honestly don't care about their curiosity, but what pisses me off is when they find out i droped 13 feet and went over the bars and got jacked up, i get the same thing every time (o my god that's so dangerous, you shouldn't do stuff like that, you could get killed, and i bet you won't do that again) no matter how i try to explane the rush of hitting crazy stuff they just don't get it, and it usually comes down to "yea i'm a special type of crazy"

are people afraid of their onw mortality that much, i know the risks of freeriding and keep telling people that if i had died that day i would have gone out with an ear to ear grin on my face doing something i love, i've recieved a split respoce from that, half of them fully agree, and the other half just give me the, you have to get with the program fake smile,

eh just a rant

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Wait another 25 years

Than they will be jealous that you are doing stuff like that and they aren't. I just turned 59 and the office is rather shocked that I spend my birthday doing a 55k ride followed by a couple hours surfing the same day. Hell, they are shocked that anyone would do that on different days.

I'm old, not dead.

Enjoy getting the crap beat out of you. You're going to die anyway so have fun along the way.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Rev Bubba said:
You're going to die anyway so have fun along the way.
:thumbsup:
AMEN!

when I die, I don't want a bunch of people walking by my casket saying how "good" I look. I want them to say "What the EFF?" I want them to look down and know that I used every bit of life my body had to give.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Yea...people will judge person like ourselves for doing what they consider "crazy" stuff, but they are so often drug addicts, alchoholics, reckless drivers that are too busy dialing the cell phone etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
To each his own, but a healthy recognition, or fear, of your own mortality is not necessarily a bad thing.

While I certainly understand the want to "go out" doing something you love, don't you also get enough joy out of other, less dangerous, things or activities that perhaps you would want to extend your time on earth a bit?

I guess I'm just one of those sheltered people you are ranting about.

·
Registered
350 Posts
you also never knonw what it is that going to take you "Out" so why not go out and push the envelope a bit and face death a little. Find out what it will take to kill you and back it down a notch...
:)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Of course the is also the remote possibility that you won't be killed, rather
the cumulative effect of all those injuries sustained in youth won't just
miraculously disappear, but will instead mount in intensity and severity
until every day is a happy land of pain. And I'm talking you will live longer
than you are expecting. Just sayin'. Save some of yourself for the later
years so you won't have to sit on the porch and watch others having fun
while you are popping oxycotin and drinking budweiser to take the edge off.
I've seen many riders on this site glamorize sustaining of injuries as a badge
of honor, what hubris! Ask Evel Knievel how he enjoyed spending thirty
some-odd years in a torture chamber for the glory of youthly bravado.

·
Registered
329 Posts
splattered said:
ever since i ate $#!! a month ago family and strangers alike have asked me how i ended up with a scar running down the lenth of my nose, i honestly don't care about their curiosity, but what pisses me off is when they find out i droped 13 feet and went over the bars and got jacked up, i get the same thing every time (o my god that's so dangerous, you shouldn't do stuff like that, you could get killed, and i bet you won't do that again) no matter how i try to explane the rush of hitting crazy stuff they just don't get it, and it usually comes down to "yea i'm a special type of crazy"

are people afraid of their onw mortality that much, i know the risks of freeriding and keep telling people that if i had died that day i would have gone out with an ear to ear grin on my face doing something i love, i've recieved a split respoce from that, half of them fully agree, and the other half just give me the, you have to get with the program fake smile,

eh just a rant
just tell them you tripped then, problem solved. tho i suspect you enjoy telling people of your craziness dispite your rant, most people do.

·
Registered
350 Posts
phoehn9111 said:
Of course the is also the remote possibility that you won't be killed, rather
the cumulative effect of all those injuries sustained in youth won't just
miraculously disappear, but will instead mount in intensity and severity
until every day is a happy land of pain. And I'm talking you will live longer
than you are expecting. Just sayin'. Save some of yourself for the later
years so you won't have to sit on the porch and watch others having fun
while you are popping oxycotin and drinking budweiser to take the edge off.
I've seen many riders on this site glamorize sustaining of injuries as a badge
of honor, what hubris! Ask Evel Knievel how he enjoyed spending thirty
some-odd years in a torture chamber for the glory of youthly bravado.
Evel Knievel was in the shape he was in on account of hepatitis.
Pain is what you make of it... some people let it control them and keep them down.
not me. I was told at the age of 19 that I already had arthritis setting in, in my back and knee and wrists from racing BMX and XC motorcycles... I broke both arms at the same time last summer. That was my first attempt at taking real pain meds. I broke out into a rash like some sort of junkie. I took advil/ Ibuprofin and was riding three and a half weeks later. I take 4 advil every morning...Sometimes when its cold, my bones ache from bottoms of my feet all the way into my head.... I have a lot of good memories and stories of riding and racing and doing stuff most people wouldn't have dreamed of doing. I wouldn't trade any of them for boring, yet pain free golden years.

·
Registered
179 Posts
people crack me up.

I did an unintentional/unnatural over-the-handlebar acrobatic demonstration recently, and came away with a minor neck injury. When I tell people what happened, the most common response I get is, "Ya won't do that again, will ya". WRONG!!!!!!! I can't wait to get out and kick that hill's a$$.... I guess that I'll have to land on my head at least one more time before I learn my lesson.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
k0y0te said:
people crack me up.

I did an unintentional/unnatural over-the-handlebar acrobatic demonstration recently, and came away with a minor neck injury. When I tell people what happened, the most common response I get is, "Ya won't do that again, will ya". WRONG!!!!!!! I can't wait to get out and kick that hill's a$$.... I guess that I'll have to land on my head at least one more time before I learn my lesson.
Yep. I broke my leg on July 8, 2007.

I'm riding the same trail, for the first time since, on July 8, 2008 :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
jpelaston said:
some people let it control them and keep them down.
not me. I was told at the age of 19 that I already had arthritis setting in, in my back and knee and wrists from racing BMX and XC motorcycles... I broke both arms at the same time last summer...
Sounds like my body too. Arthritis in back, knees (mostly right), broke many bones in 30 years, my hand and wrist last summer. I lost a few degrees of movement in my wrist and my hand no longer flexes up and down at the little finger side.... the price we pay for having fun our way is, in my opinion, worth it. I'd rather be poor(ish) like I am now rather than rich and lazy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree

jpelaston said:
AMEN!

when I die, I don't want a bunch of people walking by my casket saying how "good" I look. I want them to say "What the EFF?" I want them to look down and know that I used every bit of life my body had to give.
Who was it who said," live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse"?
Die in your sleep or in a blaze of glory!

·
DeForest Stump
972 Posts
************ said:
Who was it who said," live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse"?
It goes back a ways. John Derek said it in a Bogart movie from '49.

Nick Romano in "Knock on Any Door" written by Willard Motely, which was published in 1947 and made into a movie in 1949. Humphery Bogart starred and John Derek played Romano

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
I'll give you a new one: It is dangerous, it is stupid (aka poor injury to thrill ratio. haha), and you should keep doing it as much as you want. Go crazy. I could care less if you hurt/kill yourself.

I'm getting a little old (41) but I still do plenty of stupid things. But when I do stupid things I don't try to fool myself in thinking they're not stupid or dangerous. They are what they are.

One last comment/question: 13' onto a flat or onto a slope. Because 13' onto a slope is just not 13'.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no it was 13' nose of the bike pitched down on to flat, i over shot the hill bye 6-7 feet i figured a little more speed couldn't hurt because every time i hit the jump in 2-3 32t front and 30 or 28 rear tooth i would bairly hit the landing, so 2-5 all out didn't seem like a bad idea, thought it would put me 3/4 down the hill, O BOY WAS I WRONG !!!

as far as getting my jollies off telling what happened in detail, i'm a little more reserved than that and the nostalgia of the injuries believe me it just sucks, i have no pride on the fact that i got messed up but i am overly proud that i never said F#$% THAT and *****ed out, will i hit it again yes, any where near that speed hell no,

i can only speak for my self here, i hit the hucks, drops and kickers, not because other people think it's cool, not because i was influinced bye some pro rider but because i havent found anything that can shoot my adrenalin up that high for sustaned periods of time,

MR.GRIZZLE i have a healthy respect of my mortality, i love life and all it has to offer but i will not let fear of the unknown or what may happen stop me from doing things that most people will only see on TV,

i guess when it comes down to it i'm an adrenalin junkie looking for my next big fix lol

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.