Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, since this question is coming up every two days, here's a thread that will put closure on this issue.

Here's the two examples I know of. Post others. That way we can sticky this or put it in a FAQ and put this issue to bed.

If you get the right brand/builder, you can have a very small hardtail 29er bike!

MunchkinSS has a Waltworks 29er and she is 5'1" (with shoes):)

Wes' wife of Willits is 5'2" and has this new 11 inch seat tube bike!

fc

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Francois! How did I not meet you all weekend? I probably stepped away from our booth for 20 minutes in total.

Anyway, the Wee Trail King is actually Jared's wife's bike, and it has 26 inches of standover at the middle of the toptube. We got so many giggly people standing over that thing realizing they could ride a 29r. I'm personally so psyched about this rig as a very short-legged rider. The bending has just solved so many problems for us, and hopefully in a creative, elegant way.

-steven

francois said:
Ok, since this question is coming up every two days, here's a thread that will put closure on this issue.

fc

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey! That Willits frame is Wes's partner, Jared Porter's, wife's bike. And I'm 5' 1", too. Thanks for giving me the extra inch. My inseam's about 27", this frame fits me better than my Merlin hardtail. I can't wait till it comes back from the show so I can put it to task!

francois said:

Here's the two examples I know of. Post others. That way we can sticky this or put it in a FAQ and put this issue to bed.

If you get the right brand/builder, you can have a very small hardtail 29er bike!

MunchkinSS has a Waltworks 29er and she is 5'1" (with shoes):)

fc

·
Registered
325 Posts
Giggles

See, I thought you were 5'1".

For me, equally amazing as the toptube, is the headtube. The grip-to-ground height is awesomely low, and using pretty standard equipment. The headtube is 85mm long and the bike steers amazingly.

Here is a girl who is exactly 5'0".

-steven

bikewidow said:
Hey! That Willits frame is Wes's partner, Jared Porter's, wife's bike. And I'm 5' 1", too. Thanks for giving me the extra inch. My inseam's about 27", this frame fits me better than my Merlin hardtail. I can't wait till it comes back from the show so I can put it to task!

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pisgahproductions said:
Walt is the man! Just about everyone has seen this already, but here it is again!
Erinna and her tiny pink Waltworks:
Aha! If I have the story right, Justine, aka 'munchkinSS' spotted Errina on the trail and chased her down (for a long time) to find out where she got the bike.

And now she has her own Waltworks.

fc

·
Registered
141 Posts
francois said:
Aha! If I have the story right, Justine, aka 'munchkinSS' spotted Errina on the trail and chased her down (for a long time) to find out where she got the bike.

And now she has her own Waltworks.

fc
yup, I spotted Erinna's pink bike during an endurance race in SC last Spring!

oh, and for the record Francois (I was wearing high heels on Sat) I'm only 5'0" :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
TT Length

Can everybody with there ultra small 29er's post the tt length? That would be great!! I am 5'4' and I have long legs/arms but no torso ..I have a feeling that I would not feel centered on a stock 29er (could be wrong need to do some more research) Thanx!

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
MAP said:
Can everybody with there ultra small 29er's post the tt length? That would be great!! I am 5'4' and I have long legs/arms but no torso ..I have a feeling that I would not feel centered on a stock 29er (could be wrong need to do some more research) Thanx!
I'm 5-4" and ride stock Niner Bikes 29'ers...a small One Niner and a medium SIR 9 with no problems. My wife who is 5-4" also rides the One Niner without any problems.

Top tube length is 23.1 on the One Niner and 23.75 on the SIR 9.

R.

·
Registered
111 Posts
MunchkinSS said:
yup, I spotted Erinna's pink bike during an endurance race in SC last Spring!

oh, and for the record Francois (I was wearing high heels on Sat) I'm only 5'0" :)
'TINE!! Didn't know you were on here. *****in'. Lookin' good on those big wheels, girly. :thumbsup:

Tell Juan it's about time he joins the future....:D

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WillitsBrand.com said:
Francois! How did I not meet you all weekend? I probably stepped away from our booth for 20 minutes in total.
-steven
Whutisupwhithat?? I was there Friday and I was at your booth for a while. I was talking to ze cool marketing guy who owns the road frame.

Very impressive bikes at the show!!!

francois

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ah, you talked to Darren, the photographer. I was the be-spectacled nerd fawning over his own Monster X and the Ahearne racks caddy-corner to us. Sorry I missed you. It was so good to meet all the MTBR folk.

francois said:
Whutisupwhithat?? I was there Friday and I was at your booth for a while. I was talking to ze cool marketing guy who owns the road frame.

Very impressive bikes at the show!!!

francois

·
Registered
4 Posts
Peg's Trail King:
The bike I built for Peg has a 21.5 effective tt, 11" st c to c. It has 26" of standover at the middle bend, what Wes and I call the Taint, cause it taint there.

The head angle is 71.5, st 74.The frame was designed for a White Bros. 80mm fork that has a slightly lower ride height than the Reba. There is also no toe overlap either.

The most challenging thing was getting the front end low. The tt at the ht end has a oval shape in the horizontal plane. This allowed for the head tube to be shorter. In the end the bar height was lower than on her 26" bike at 36".

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
Not as small...

This is a frame I designed for Becca (5'6") and it has a 14" c-t seat tube and effective toptube of 22.6" The saddle/bar/pedals are all in the same place as on her Bontrager Race (size: medium) but it has proper sized wheels and 80mm Reba's :thumbsup:

No toe overlap even with a 72deg head angle and due to the bigger wheels / better forks / sitting "in" the bike it has really boosted her confidence and made her try new stuff (drops, jumps, logs) that used to freak her out.

YMMV

Alex

Steerer has been cut down and the floor boards sealed since that photo :)

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Is it just me or is a lot of this hullabaloo around 29ers for short folks stemming from what I perceive to be an overemphasis on standover height? I mean, I'm a 5'4" dude. I ride the smallest Karate Monkey available. It's a 16" bike with a standover height of about 30" or so. I have no standover height to speak of - the top tube parts my yam bag everytime I stand over the bike. And despite this, I still feel that the bike's a wonderful fit. Why? Because I took more care in picking out a bike based on effective top tube length rather than standover height. I mean, an off-the-shelf 29er frame in the smallest size probably sports something like a 22" effective top tube length. Is this too long even for short stuffs like me? I hardly think so.

I know that other ideas are usually tossed around like toe overlap and what not. I guess what I'm curious about is why I was able to make a size 16 Surly Karate Monkey work for a 5'4" dude and there still seems to be talk around how off-the shelf 29ers won't fit short riders (save for those like 5' and under).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.