Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have rode bikes all of my life but just recently got my first mountain bike and went and rode some local trails and loved it. I am really harsh on things and went of a little cliff type thing and bent both of my rims and just trashed the bike. So i was looking into buying a new bike and my local shop has a Specialized for 450 it has triple walls and front suspension (btw its used). I was wondering if anyone could help me out and show me some bikes that would be great for a first bike because i want to just buy one and not have to buy another but upgrade it as i go. Any input is great thanks you

edit: heres the crappy back rim i bent the front wasnt to bad but anyways.

·
Registered
544 Posts
welcome to the boards. do you know what year and model the $450 bike is? if you could tell us we could tell you how good of a deal it is.

also, did you go off the cliff intentionally? do you want to be able to do drops and jumps and that sort of thing? you'll have to spend a bit more for a slightly more beefy bike if that's what you want to do. you say you're harsh on things... do you weigh a lot? that might factor into it too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mace2 said:
welcome to the boards. do you know what year and model the $450 bike is? if you could tell us we could tell you how good of a deal it is.

also, did you go off the cliff intentionally? do you want to be able to do drops and jumps and that sort of thing? you'll have to spend a bit more for a slightly more beefy bike if that's what you want to do. you say you're harsh on things... do you weigh a lot? that might factor into it too.
i can probly figure out what the model is when i go back Monday but i will do some research in the mean time. yea the cliff was intentional but i thought it would hold up (guess not).i only weigh about 160 and im 6'2 so im taller than i am wide haha.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Help us out a little here. There are different bikes made for different types of riding done by riders of different physique. That Special ed you're looking at might work out fine for trail-riding but isn't going to hold up if you're constantly "jumping little cliffs. . ." Likewise, if you weigh 115 lbs and ride a Demo 8 down to the mall, you're riding way too much bike. Then again, I've taken drops on my 24lbs. FSR that were only supposed to be "makeable" on a full DH-rig. . .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
emptybe_er said:
Help us out a little here. There are different bikes made for different types of riding done by riders of different physique. That Special ed you're looking at might work out fine for trail-riding but isn't going to hold up if you're constantly "jumping little cliffs. . ." Likewise, if you weigh 115 lbs and ride a Demo 8 down to the mall, you're riding way too much bike. Then again, I've taken drops on my 24lbs. FSR that were only supposed to be "makeable" on a full DH-rig. . .
i ride urban alot but i want to be able to hit up some stuff once and a while and not have to be worried that im going to tear stuff up. not like everyday go ride hardcore 20 foots cliffs. I just want to be able to know that i can take it off some decent sized stuff and not trash it.

p.s. the specialized im looking at has triple walls so thats a huge step up from what i have now

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hmm. . . sounds like you're better off looking at a dirt-jump frame/bike. The geometry and sturdier construction will probably work better for you than a "regular" mountain bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.