Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm really diging my new ride,but I'm not ready to change my name to "69er cat"

although it may improve my personal life:nono: :nono: ......I'll take 29 most of the time,but 69 feels pretty fine....nice ride :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

·
WNC Native
Joined
·
3,998 Posts
I rode the 09 SS version at our local Trek/Fisher Demo day. I wasn't impressed. It did seem to return to speed pretty quick out of corners, but the rear wheel was a loose cannon through rooty stuff. The front was rolling right over stuff while the back was bouncing everywhere. It might be sweet on smooth singletrack, but I don't think it jives with WNC rooty trails.

Looks sweet however!;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear ya,the rooty stuff could be an issues...I have a track that it pretty clean as long as you pick the right line,but it has a number of short sprint climbs and some rollers,thats where the acelleration can be felt,I'm a few gears higher on most climbs...not to mention that it makes me feel like I'm back on my 250 bultaco:thumbsup:
 

·
WWYD?
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
29ERCAT said:
I'll take 29 most of the time,but 69 feels pretty fine :thumbsup:
I have three 29ers, but couldn't resist building up this KHS as a 69er.. The bike rides great and the rear wheel does zip out of corners quicker plus you can get up to speed a lot quicker than the 29ers. The softtail helps keep the rear on the ground.

Something about the smaller wheel spinning faster than the front helps in the cornering. Maybe its all in my mind, but I am riding this a lot more now...
 

Attachments

·
Recovering couch patato
Joined
·
14,019 Posts
At least you guys knew what you were starting.
Good luck with those.

Really cool bikes, too bad for the rear wheels. Now hang on, and keep riding them till you can love no other bike anymore. The ideal bike concept doesn't exist, so just stick with this one. Sit it out. Give it lots of miles. Don't look at the pretty balanced out bikes. The grass just looks greener, that doesn't mean it is. It's a nice bike, it sortof rolls, the countryside is just as nice, no need to change the bike.
Enjoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
Lol!

29ERCAT said:
that forum doesnt get enough action....plus I am the 29erCAT:thumbsup: and if I changed my name to the 69erCAT it could cause big trouble at home:nono: :nono:
Hilarious. Yeah, I can't imagine that being a hit.

Take Care,

PF
 

·
WWYD?
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
lanpope said:
Is that the stock fork on that KHS? Sweet bike..

LP
I got it as a 26er frame and fork combo with a headset for $170! To me it was a deal worth trying the '69er experiment with. The fork is stock with it and its for the 26-inch wheel but it fits a 29er just fine. The head angle is a slack 69 degrees and it probably goes to 68 with the rear shock squished.

I really like the ride. Compared to a 29er, it rips through stuff quicker. Its hard to explain, but I feel a little better balanced through technical stuff and its snappier when you need to pedal hard over something.

I'm not giving up on the 29ers. But this bike is fun!

Check out the wheel comparo...
 

Attachments

·
turtles make me hot
Joined
·
11,672 Posts
Mountain Bike Action Tested that Trek. Their exact words were "The front wheel writes checks that the rear wheel can't cash".

I'm still trying to figure that one out.
 

·
WWYD?
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
Cloxxki said:
At least you guys knew what you were starting.
Good luck with those.

Really cool bikes, too bad for the rear wheels. Now hang on, and keep riding them till you can love no other bike anymore. The ideal bike concept doesn't exist, so just stick with this one. Sit it out. Give it lots of miles. Don't look at the pretty balanced out bikes. The grass just looks greener, that doesn't mean it is. It's a nice bike, it sortof rolls, the countryside is just as nice, no need to change the bike.
Enjoy.
Whoa, is that poetry or prose?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NYrr496 said:
Mountain Bike Action Tested that Trek. Their exact words were "The front wheel writes checks that the rear wheel can't cash".

I'm still trying to figure that one out.
the first thing that comes to mind is those guys smoke way to much pot....you know what kills me,when was the last time that you were jamming around on a 2 hour killer ride and you thought half of this crap these mags. throw around.......:nono:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
I think they mean that the rear wheel just bashes stuff a little more. I doubt they meant that it hung up, but since it is probably a stiffer rear wheel due to it's smaller size it makes sense. They are saying (for once) that the 29er front wheel offers you excellent performance and traction, while the rear wheel's accelleration is one of it's few highlights. I'm not trying to defend MBA, just trying to add some insights to their hazy writing.

I rode a 69er for a while on a frame far from optimal and enjoyed it greatly. I wouldn't mind having one around the garage, but if I am building anything these days, it's a 29er.
 

·
turtles make me hot
Joined
·
11,672 Posts
Really, Man. I just dismantled my long time favorite Cannondale hardtail and gave all the components to my brother for his older bikes. I want only 29ers now. I got two more bikes to build.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,558 Posts
I really have a hard time believing that a smaller wheel in the back will give you noticeably better acceleration out of a corner or get the bike up to speed better.
Placebo affect? Too many other variables that are not being considered in the equation. Unless you have identical bikes with the same rider (save for the rear wheel) and do numerous accelerations with a stop watch I don't see how one can make that statement.

Why not try a 20 inch rear wheel back there? It would probably accelerate out of a corner so fast that it would swap ends with the front end of the bike and bend the frame!;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
richwolf said:
I really have a hard time believing that a smaller wheel in the back will give you noticeably better acceleration out of a corner or get the bike up to speed better.
Placebo affect? Too many other variables that are not being considered in the equation. Unless you have identical bikes with the same rider (save for the rear wheel) and do numerous accelerations with a stop watch I don't see how one can make that statement.

Why not try a 20 inch rear wheel back there? It would probably accelerate out of a corner so fast that it would swap ends with the front end of the bike and bend the frame!;)
No,I'm making it up....what do you want,I rode it,I own it,I like it.....why dont you try one out instead of sitting at your key board talking s...........:nono:
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top