Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i finnaly sold my other bike so im ready to build up my santa cruz chameleon. it will be used as a urban/dj/street/freeride bike. i have a bit over a 1000 dollars to spend too. i have listed the components i plan to buy below:

fork-RS pike race
brakes- Avid juicy 7 (front-8 inch or 6inch/back 6 inch.
stem-diablo
handle bar- diablo
wheel set- Tioga DH factor w/ xt hubs or Azionic Outlaws...
derralier-sram x7 or x9
seat- pimpin .243 seat w/ CANADIAN MAPLE LEAF!!!!
shifters-rapid shifts or stick with my deors...
pedals- a frames or kona jackshits or Burgtec's Penthouse Flats
chain guide- e13 STS

what do u think of the build? seems pretty good to me, but i want your oppinions so i get my moneys worth...

thanks

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I finally got to demo some Avid Juicy's today so heres my opinion on them... BOOOOO!!!!

Maybe it was just the ones I tried but they were 8" 7s and they were sooooo grabby it was aweful. So don't get those. Get Hope M4s or minis if the money is right or some hayes or shimanos. Go with the SRAM X-9 in back X -9 shifters. Not sure about the Pike, I've never ridden one.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
RobsterCraw said:
I finally got to demo some Avid Juicy's today so heres my opinion on them... BOOOOO!!!!

Maybe it was just the ones I tried but they were 8" 7s and they were sooooo grabby it was aweful. So don't get those. Get Hope M4s or minis if the money is right or some hayes or shimanos. Go with the SRAM X-9 in back X -9 shifters. Not sure about the Pike, I've never ridden one.
can you use deore/alivo shifters w/ a sram x9 derailleur?

·
Renegade of Krunk
604 Posts
Only thing I'm not really liking is the RS pike fork. Maybe look into a Flick or one of the Marz freerides. I haven't seen very many people running the pike and have heard more negatives then positives. But hey, I've never ridden one so :confused:

Other then that the build sheet looks good!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
E30Evolution said:
Only thing I'm not really liking is the RS pike fork. Maybe look into a Flick or one of the Marz freerides. I haven't seen very many people running the pike and have heard more negatives then positives. But hey, I've never ridden one so :confused:

Other then that the build sheet looks good!
Nah, Pikes give me boners.

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Yeah, Pikes are the sh;t. I've heard nothing but good things about these forks. Perfect fork for the application too. You can save some money over similar stuff like the AM1 or Nixon, and not sacrifice any performance at all. Good call on the fork, but don't get the Race, get the Team. Same fork, the Race just has some other little goodie I believe, like a handlebar switch or something. I'm sure someone will fill you in on that.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no, the team has an alluminum steerer tube and the pop lock thingy. the race has a steel steerer tube and is cheaper. and stronger...

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
sreiman said:
no, the team has an alluminum steerer tube and the pop lock thingy. the race has a steel steerer tube and is cheaper. and stronger...
Ahh, so the SL and the Team both have the aluminum steerer. Makes a little more sense now. Anyway, good luck on the build.

·
Still on Training Wheels!
1,107 Posts
NO, The Team is the only one with the aluminum steer and crown and has a handlebar mount called a Pop Lock. The Race and SL both have steel steers and crowns, but the Race has a knob to adjust the Flood Gate externaly where as the SL you have to use an allen wrench.

I love my Pike and would definitly agree that it would be a great fit for the Camelion!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
awsome. i have heard a lot of bad thigs about the juicys but ive also heard amazing things with them. i really like there adjustability, but is it worth it? from my sponsor i get the juicys for 140 dollars each, but i also get the hayes hfx 9's for only 59 dollars each. so.....

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
sreiman said:
awsome. i have heard a lot of bad thigs about the juicys but ive also heard amazing things with them. i really like there adjustability, but is it worth it? from my sponsor i get the juicys for 140 dollars each, but i also get the hayes hfx 9's for only 59 dollars each. so.....
Its just a Dj bike so go with the 9's. The only problem i have ever run into with my nines is the lever adjustment screw tends to screw itself out, and this has only happend on hard shuttle runs, i have been perfectly fine at other times. So my suggestion would be get the Nines and make sure to blue loctite the bolts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.