Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
I've been able to stay out of the rift (mostly) through the years to 03 or so,,, but for just a few bumping heads. Nobody really "wins" although there are times when facts will wear the opposing viewpoint down to a level they fadeaway to save face. It's tiring and seems to actually feed some of them apparently looking to kill time engaging in debate. Not a bad call if it's filtering into personal life. I peruse and post alot from the worksite. I'd imagine your time less invested here may equate to more free time `/ ride time so you are probably already happier looking forward.
E n j o y.

·
Registered
64 Posts
C'mon man. "Ignorance, intolerance and general disregard for decency" is the story of internet. That's just how most people behave because it's all anonymous. Can't take this sh&t personally. Either way, good luck.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,827 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I agree with your sentiment of "be helpful, share knowledge, and learn something", I try to do the same.

If it's gotten negative enough to effect your personal life then it's time to focus on what's important. I feel like you're nowhere near the first to depart because of the overall experience, but the forums will be worse without you.

Good luck, and if you ever choose to come back I'd just try to avoid the forums that were the most problematic and stick with what's fun and/or rewarding to contribute to. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I'm taking a break from the forums, there's just far too much ignorance, intolerance and general disregard for decency. It's starting to take a toll on my mood, effecting my personal life.

I've been here for a long time (since 2004) , under different names and I've always tried to be helpful, to share knowledge and learn somethings myself. I spend a ton of time reading, studying, talking to bike companies via email, chat, etc so I can then share that info with others to help make their experiences more enjoyable and maybe help riders avoid some of the pitfalls that commonly plague us. However, there's just far too much arguing, tit for tat ****, I just don't want to be part of it any longer.

I've talked to a few of you in PM and via email, it's been my pleasure to try and bring some positivity to your DB experience and be helpful where I could. I wish all the DB riders on here, current and future, happy trails. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for your help with the Vittoria Air-Liner the other day. Mine should arrive tomorrow.

I head you. Reading forums daily beats us down until we become like the argumentative ones.
A break is a good idea from time to time. Once on a short break it's sometimes difficult to return.

When I first came to MTBR last last year I was amazed how civil and helpful the forums were. That's when I was looking for specific information on a specific bike. As I ventured out I realized it's just as bad as every other forum out there.

Hopefully you can get the much needed break and not get sucked into your subscriptions or whatever.
Helpful tip: turn off your email notifications so you don't get any temptation to 'help somebody' only to be ridiculed right after.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,547 Posts
C'mon man. "Ignorance, intolerance and general disregard for decency" is the story of internet. That's just how most people behave because it's all anonymous. Can't take this sh&t personally. Either way, good luck.
...and there's the problem. There was a time when people treated one another with respect regardless of whether they were in one another's presence or not. The internet changed this and today society suffers for it. Road rage is another symptom. Somehow many of us feel like it's okay if we act like assholes whenever we're enclosed in a metal cocoon on wheels. Would we steal if we knew we wouldn't get caught? It's all part of the same attitude.

The way we act is the way we are. Face to face, in a car, behind a keyboard, whenever, wherever. It doesn't matter.

Inconsistency in character breeds weak characters.

How can people born in the age of the internet understand?

It seems many don't.

It's okay. Sadly today no one expects them to. Personally I lowered my expectations a long time ago.

But there was a time not so many years ago when a person was the same person all the time because they understood the value of avoiding the slippery slope of acting one way when they were in someone's presence and another way when they were out of sight (ie: hammering away at their keyboard).

Sorry to see you go, Guy Ford, but I don't blame you a bit. Best to you.
=sParty

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I'm taking a break from the forums, there's just far too much ignorance, intolerance and general disregard for decency. It's starting to take a toll on my mood, effecting my personal life.

I've been here for a long time (since 2004) , under different names and I've always tried to be helpful, to share knowledge and learn somethings myself. I spend a ton of time reading, studying, talking to bike companies via email, chat, etc so I can then share that info with others to help make their experiences more enjoyable and maybe help riders avoid some of the pitfalls that commonly plague us. However, there's just far too much arguing, tit for tat ****, I just don't want to be part of it any longer.

I've talked to a few of you in PM and via email, it's been my pleasure to try and bring some positivity to your DB experience and be helpful where I could. I wish all the DB riders on here, current and future, happy trails. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
As far as "ignorance, intolerance and general disregard for decency" goes, I don't feel MTBR is really all that bad. Read the comments after a political article or something political on social media, holy sh!t people are terrible to one another.

What really bugs me about MTBR, are the shills. The not stop spewing of rhetoric about how much better this brand is over that. Or the people that disguise themselves as regular people to spew rhetoric about specific brands to receive special deals.

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
As far as "ignorance, intolerance and general disregard for decency" goes, I don't feel MTBR is really all that bad. Read the comments after a political article or something political on social media, holy sh!t people are terrible to one another.

What really bugs me about MTBR, are the shills. The not stop spewing of rhetoric about how much better this brand is over that. Or the people that disguise themselves as regular people to spew rhetoric about specific brands to receive special deals.
I agree; Hasn't been that bad from my experience BUT, I say that in perspective of not being a gear-head.
By that , I mean to say that most of the shenanigans, arguments, emotions/outbursts, mean-spirited responses seem to come from those with a very narrow idea of what's best. As if their own idea, research or decision is offended by others who have a different wheel size, have or don't have a dropper post, sus or no sus … etc... Bike knowledgeable or gearhead folk contributing ideas seem to attract the contrarian mindset and the fun begins.

Sports car and firearms forums get a bit more cranky in my experience (uncivilized toddlers?) but that's been a few years now. :D

As for; "don't let the door hit ya"
I think it's not his worry. It's likely the knobs.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well I appreciate the advise I have gotten from you and I completely understand your point. I feel the same way with social media with all the conspiracy nuts out there which I have a hard time not responding to. You have to just ignore these but sometimes it just brings the mood down so the easiest thing to do is to just stop reading it. Best of luck and your new Youtube videos if you keep doing them!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.