Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Zippy, the wonder bike
131 Posts
Personally I would have stayed with V-brakes, but that's just me. Depends on the type of riding you do too I guess. I ride mostly fast XC so the V-brakes are more then good enough. Last year every bike I owned had disc, this year every bike I own has v-brakes, and I really can't tell between the too. Seem's like lately it just seems that disc brakes are a status symbol and that your not a real rider unless you have them. Try not to fall for the media hype and buy what you really need. Remember that hydraulic disc brakes are a real maintainence nightmare sometimes, 99% if the time I can fix my V's on the trail, but that isn't the case when you bust a hydraulic line or the seals in your caliber blow (yes it's happened to me, and no it's not fun) For long distance epic rides, V's are the way to go. But anyway, those are some nice wheels and at least you are getting one of the nicer disc brake systems (minus the dual control levers which are retarded). Anyway, hope you like them and good luck with your setup.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FLYBYU said:
Personally I would have stayed with V-brakes, but that's just me. Depends on the type of riding you do too I guess. I ride mostly fast XC so the V-brakes are more then good enough. Last year every bike I owned had disc, this year every bike I own has v-brakes, and I really can't tell between the too. Seem's like lately it just seems that disc brakes are a status symbol and that your not a real rider unless you have them. Try not to fall for the media hype and buy what you really need. Remember that hydraulic disc brakes are a real maintainence nightmare sometimes, 99% if the time I can fix my V's on the trail, but that isn't the case when you bust a hydraulic line or the seals in your caliber blow (yes it's happened to me, and no it's not fun) For long distance epic rides, V's are the way to go. But anyway, those are some nice wheels and at least you are getting one of the nicer disc brake systems (minus the dual control levers which are retarded). Anyway, hope you like them and good luck with your setup.
I do mostly XC, and my Avid SD7 setup is sufficient for the most part. However, on steep downhills and long descents, I would like a bit more power. Also, I've been riding through the mud a bit lately, so discs are going to be nice to have.

I tried my friend's Kona with Shamino Deore cable discs, and even those have a fair bit more power than my Vs. I got a descent job this summer, and I figured I mind as well spoil myself by going to a nicer wheelset and better brakes. I'm happy with my SID now, so I probably wont be spending too much more money on my bike.

Cheers

Ming

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
I nearly rode my mates bike into a gate cuz his had Vs. He stopped well short of the gate riding mine lol. Disk Rule.

Its not just the power though either.....I live in muddy england. Seeing shwarf from the rims on the brake pads is a dim and distant memory.

Stu

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
Dry weather V's are fine but wet they dont compare to discs.
The only problem I had with my discs so far is the SPS the early xtrs got. Heard it was fixed and I just sent mine back so I guess I'll see.

I wouldnt go back to V's though discs are just waaaay better even in dry :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.