Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
~ B A D A S S ~
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I rode and tuned my old bike which i gave to my father. Its a typical AM short stem 1 riser bar bike with rigid fork.

And ho lee fuk I ain't never riding risers ever again. ever.

It was the most uncomfortable experience ever, really unergonomic. I thought to myself it was a fuking miracle I lasted 45 minutes on that bike each time i rode to work. Hmm I need to get dad some new bars.

For those of you still running flat/risers. I have one(+1) word for you: drop bars.

·
~ B A D A S S ~
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
what do you recommend that takes mtb shifters and so on? some alt bar

·
On wuss patrol
5,045 Posts
Alt bar or Mary's aren't enough of a drop bar to call them a drop, more of a big sweep. How about the On One Mungo bar... might work with mtb controls.

image.jpg

·
Registered
812 Posts
So yesterday I rode and tuned my old bike which i gave to my father. Its a typical AM short stem 1 riser bar bike with rigid fork.

It was the most uncomfortable experience ever, really unergonomic. I thought to myself it was a fuking miracle I lasted 45 minutes on that bike each time i rode to work. Hmm I need to get dad some new bars.

For those of you still running flat/risers. I have one(+1) word for you: drop bars.

my risers can kick your dropped bars ass!!!

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Or you could get some bar end shifters or friction thumbies and open a whole can o' worms of alternatives. I lobbed off about a 1" off my mary bar using ourys and like it a lot.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,510 Posts

So, if your dad's shoes did not fit you, would you go buy him shoes your size?

There are about 12 different styles of "flat" (vs drop) bars. different widths/rises/sweeps. You came to this conclusion after riding just one of them that was not even on your own bike?

If your dad is already needing a very short stem for flat bars, it is going to be interesting trying to fit the bike with drop bars.

I find a narrower flat bar with some sweep to be preferable to drops for my short (under 5 miles) commutes with sometimes heavy loads. Longer road ride? Drops for sure.

·
~ B A D A S S ~
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used to belong to me :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Surly Open Bar is a great alt bar that uses MTB shifters. It comes either flat or with a rise (drop). I have mine wrapped almost to the stem with cork for more hand positions.

Sent from my d2lte using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts