Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my beloved 6.6 today.:sad: I knew when I got my Knolly the 6.6 would have to go... but I never thought it would be so hard to let it.

At least it went to a friend locally so I'll be able to see it on a regular basis....

I'm sure I'll be back someday. The new Tracer is still on my list and the the new UZZI is sick. I love my D-T but that UZZI is lighter and sexier.
 

Attachments

·
Dude, got any schwag?
Joined
·
848 Posts
KRob said:
At least it went to a friend locally so I'll be able to see it on a regular basis....
I went on a ride Sunday, and up on top of Heli Pad (in Bend) met up with guys on my last 2 bikes & me on my current one.

'05 Blur XC
'07 5.5 FRO
'09 TracerVP

3 generations of Billy bikes. Sweet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crash Bang said:
Can I ask why you replaced the 6.6? I am looking into getting one and am looking for opinions? Did it not live up to expectations?

Thanks
It's a great bike and in some ways I like it better than the D-T. It's way lighter and more AM/Trail whereas the D-T is more AM-FR. So for all around riding with big long climbs and rough fast descents it is really good. I like the VPP suspension for it's pedalling efficiency and deep plush feel on downs but don't care for the pedal kickback (something that has been solved with the v.2 VPP btw) and stiffening/ loss of traction on steep, ledgy, techy, rocky climbs. It's good at this but the D-T is better.

Mainly I'd just been moving towards bigger, rougher, droppier riding and just wanted something a bit more burly but that could still climb. The D-T fits the bill.

Now I'm looking for a replacement (gulp.. .hard to even say that word) for the HH . Lots of '08 Rip 9s, Sultan and Flux frames in the classifieds right now for around a grand. Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
KRob said:
It's a great bike and in some ways I like it better than the D-T. It's way lighter and more AM/Trail whereas the D-T is more AM-FR. So for all around riding with big long climbs and rough fast descents it is really good. I like the VPP suspension for it's pedalling efficiency and deep plush feel on downs but don't care for the pedal kickback (something that has been solved with the v.2 VPP btw) and stiffening/ loss of traction on steep, ledgy, techy, rocky climbs. It's good at this but the D-T is better.

Mainly I'd just been moving towards bigger, rougher, droppier riding and just wanted something a bit more burly but that could still climb. The D-T fits the bill.
Thanks for the info, I am looking to 'Go Bigger' and that is the reason I am looking for more travel, I am currently on a Heckler, would you say the 6.6 is more sturdy than a Heckler? I also need my bike to climb due to have no up lift facility :mad:

Do you know when they introduced the V2 VPP to the 6.6?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Crash Bang said:
Thanks for the info, I am looking to 'Go Bigger' and that is the reason I am looking for more travel, I am currently on a Heckler, would you say the 6.6 is more sturdy than a Heckler? I also need my bike to climb due to have no up lift facility :mad:

Do you know when they introduced the V2 VPP to the 6.6?
I think the 6.6 is more capable than a heckler.... but not necessarily stronger. The Heckler's were/are pretty hard to break. But the 6.6 has 6.75" of travel and pedals better and is not much heavier (if any) than the Heckler.

If you're looking into something more on the lines of the Delirium-T (more AM/FR), the new UZZI VP looks hot. It has the second generation VPP like the Tracer but like ignazjr said.... the 6.6 likely will not receive that upgrade and will probably be discontinued next year. Just a hunch based on the fact that the niche between the new Tracer VP (5.5-6") and the new UZZI (6.75-7.5") is getting pretty thin. I still think there's room there.... but I'm not sure Intense and most buyers will see it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
Rob depending how long it takes Intense to get the final info out on the NEW 2009 Uzzi. AKA and the wait to get one. I might be seeing you on the Knolly site too. Its up between the 2009 Uzzi and the Knolly DT. When you get it your- DT would love to hear your take on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JohnnyG 1970 said:
Rob .....When you get... your- DT would love to hear your take on it.
I've had it for almost three months now. Here's some ride impressions that I posted over in the Knolly forum.

The UZZI looks like it will be worth the wait too though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
KRob said:
I've had it for almost three months now. Here's some ride impressions that I posted over in the Knolly forum.

The UZZI looks like it will be worth the wait too though.
Rob thanks for the link. Read it all. Kind of up in the air about the Uzzi vs Knolly DT. My big thing is total wt of the bike. And if the specs of the frame are close to what my Tracer Vpp are. I like the Tracer Vpp allot so that will be a big selling point for me plus I will run the same set up stem,bars,seat post, I most likely are going to go with a 2009 Uzzi with the Intense XT build kit with DHX 5.0 air aka I want a light wt rear shock on the bike. Plus I had a DHX air on my 2007 Spec enduro elite liked it allot. Fork gotta go with another 2009 Fox Talas 36 RC2 1.5 So I will see once the specs come out for the new Uzzi plus yours and other people takes on it. Then make up my mind in which bike to go with. Thanks for the feed back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
???

JohnnyG 1970 said:
Rob thanks for the link. Read it all. Kind of up in the air about the Uzzi vs Knolly DT. My big thing is total wt of the bike. And if the specs of the frame are close to what my Tracer Vpp are. I like the Tracer Vpp allot so that will be a big selling point for me plus I will run the same set up stem,bars,seat post, I most likely are going to go with a 2009 Uzzi with the Intense XT build kit with DHX 5.0 air aka I want a light wt rear shock on the bike. Plus I had a DHX air on my 2007 Spec enduro elite liked it allot. Fork gotta go with another 2009 Fox Talas 36 RC2 1.5 So I will see once the specs come out for the new Uzzi plus yours and other people takes on it. Then make up my mind in which bike to go with. Thanks for the feed back.
Johnny, what would the purpose for an Uzzi with a Talas up front, air shock up back, and basically the same kit as the Tracer? I mean, are you planning on getting rid of the Tracer and getting something that can take a little bit more punishment?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
esquire said:
Johnny, what would the purpose for an Uzzi with a Talas up front, air shock up back, and basically the same kit as the Tracer? I mean, are you planning on getting rid of the Tracer and getting something that can take a little bit more punishment?
Yes to the second-"something that can take a little more punishment" That is the reason why. I would like to run a longer fork. But the problem would be when it came to the climbs. I want a fork that I can drop down. I would like to go with a R/S Totem but as you know its only a 180mm fixed. No I plan on keeping the Tracer Vpp. Just wanted another bike with more travel and take more of a beating. It would be nice it someone made a adj 180mm air fork.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
NOT a fox, but...

JohnnyG 1970 said:
Yes to the second-"something that can take a little more punishment" That is the reason why. I would like to run a longer fork. But the problem would be when it came to the climbs. I want a fork that I can drop down. I would like to go with a R/S Totem but as you know its only a 180mm fixed. No I plan on keeping the Tracer Vpp. Just wanted another bike with more travel and take more of a beating. It would be nice it someone made a adj 180mm air fork.
Its not a Fox, but it should still be semi-tough... http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/d...Folder=208&IDOggetto=56479&LN=UK&Sito=usa-mtb

I guess I'm either trying to save you a bit of money or figure out what the use of the Uzzi would be. If you still will be climbing a lot with the Uzzi, and it will only be a pound or two heavier than the tracer, not a whole lot of use for the Tracer, to be honest. If, however, you are going to use the bike for big drops, jumps, large hits and general free-riding, hell, go ahead and get the Uzzi and build it up right with coil shock, fork, and a beefy set of wheels. Those are the implements that will fail before the frame does. You can put a lightweight wheelset, fork, and components on a free-ride bike to get it down to a trailbike weight, but all you do is damage the lightweight components and cost yourself some scratch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
esquire said:
Its not a Fox, but it should still be semi-tough... http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/d...Folder=208&IDOggetto=56479&LN=UK&Sito=usa-mtb

I guess I'm either trying to save you a bit of money or figure out what the use of the Uzzi would be. If you still will be climbing a lot with the Uzzi, and it will only be a pound or two heavier than the tracer, not a whole lot of use for the Tracer, to be honest. If, however, you are going to use the bike for big drops, jumps, large hits and general free-riding, hell, go ahead and get the Uzzi and build it up right with coil shock, fork, and a beefy set of wheels. Those are the implements that will fail before the frame does. You can put a lightweight wheelset, fork, and components on a free-ride bike to get it down to a trailbike weight, but all you do is damage the lightweight components and cost yourself some scratch.
Esquire, Thanks For the info about the Fork. What is your take on air vs a coil.I never had a coil on a MTB so this is all new to me- talking about the rear shock.I have had coil forks. I like the air better. Wheels- What is your take on the Shimano All mountain XT wheels. How strong do you think they are? Or should I get a set of I-9 Enduro with the D.T EX5.1 If I was to walk in your shop or call. And said to you I want this new Uzzi to be able to be a Little of both. Free-ride,all-mountain/trail not crazy heavy. Going with the 2009 Marzocchi 66 ATA, How would you build up this bike? Note I Like the shimano components and the XT brakes allot. I hear the SLX are stronger than the XT cranks. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
Well...

JohnnyG 1970 said:
Esquire, Thanks For the info about the Fork. What is your take on air vs a coil.I never had a coil on a MTB so this is all new to me- talking about the rear shock.I have had coil forks. I like the air better. Wheels- What is your take on the Shimano All mountain XT wheels. How strong do you think they are? Or should I get a set of I-9 Enduro with the D.T EX5.1 If I was to walk in your shop or call. And said to you I want this new Uzzi to be able to be a Little of both. Free-ride,all-mountain/trail not crazy heavy. Going with the 2009 Marzocchi 66 ATA, How would you build up this bike? Note I Like the shimano components and the XT brakes allot. I hear the SLX are stronger than the XT cranks. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Well, first of all, stick with Richards because you've got such a great relationship with them and they give you great deals, to be honest, not sure we could/would, discount that heavily anyway. But, to answer your question, again, it depends upon what the bike would be used for. I've got a ton of time on the first Uzzi, both in doing DH and AM riding, and it was/is a great all around bike. If you want a light weight rig for hill climbing, not the best option. If you want a screaming DH beast for all lift service riding, not your best option. If you want something that could do a lot of double duty, take a dual crown fork if necessary, handle 15' drops without an issue, go XC occasionally if you had a particular dh section or some jumps way out in the woods, it was/is a great option.

Therefore, it depends upon what you'd be using it for. IMHO, the frame is built for FR and for those doing AM who are hard on frames. It "was" (referring to the older model) a tough frame that excelled when it had a coil rear shock, because that was kind of the point of the frame (jumps, drops, rock gardens, steeps, roots, skinnys, table tops, etc. If I were to build up a new Uzzi for those purposes, ie: limited hill climbing, drops, jumps, rock gardens, occasional dh, all mountain riding, the 66 ATA is a good start. As for wheels, I'd like something that has wide enough rims to accomodate a 2.5-2.7" tire, which would mean the XT's would be just a bit narrow at 23.5mm (haven't had enough real experience with them to see if they are tough enough for drops and jumps, but my guess is probably not...) Therefore, the 5.1's would be a better fit for this type of riding.

There is nothing wrong with XT brakes, IMHO, for XC up to FR, they modulate well, and with 203mm rotors certainly have enough stopping power for the occasional DH run. Cranks, well, I'm a big believer in tough, stiff, cranksets, but I'm a bigger guy. Smaller guys can get away with lighter sets, but my choice (money not being a real obstacle) would be the hammerschmidt for this frame... :D This would eliminate some installation, rubbing, impact problems that a front deraileur had on the previous Uzzi (I'm sure Jeff worked on this, but I'm not sure what can really be done on a VPP bike). I haven't had a chance to compare the SLX and the XT's in terms of stiffness (that is really what you need to look at in cranks, because "toughness" is a pretty broad category and they all are made of the same metal, really, and I haven't seen a "snapped" crankarm in over 4 years).

An Uzzi frame, with a good rear coil shock (I don't think pro-pedal is necessary for these purposes so would prefer a Rocco, Vivid or even Double Barrel if you want to go all out), a Zoke 66 up front (or a dual crown if you'd really like to have a stiff feeling front fork), set of I-9 enduros, Hammerschmidt cranks, XT brakes, shifter, cassette, nice wide bar like a gravity or sunline v2, and you really could build an awesome free-ride bike. A rear coil shock gives a completely different feel than an air, even an average coil shock feels better to me than a top of the line air for jumping, dropping and big rocks. Worrying about weight is fine, I guess, but get a weight "goal" for the type of riding the bike will be asked to accomplish, and go for that, rather than trying to cut weight off important components. My guestimate for the average Uzzi doing AM/FR duty would be in the 36-40 lb range, depending upon how big your tires go, and if you go dual crown, air, or coil, front fork.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
Thanks allot for the great info. Sorry if you misunderstood me about the shop thing. What I was saying was. If I was one of your customers what would you sagest me doing. I know aka from looking high and low checking out all sites and goggling and on E/Bay Richard's Bikes has the best prices plus they have treated me very well. So I would never go someone else. Back to the bike. How do you feel about the Hammerschmidt? Being so new and unproven. In your opinion what do think is the best all around rear coil shock.I have to say if you weir my LBS I would buy stuff from you even if it wasn't at rock bottom prices just for the great info alone it would be well worth it. You really know your MTB stuff. Allot of shops are so so with newest info on stuff and products.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
JohnnyG 1970 said:
Thanks allot for the great info. Sorry if you misunderstood me about the shop thing. What I was saying was. If I was one of your customers what would you sagest me doing. I know aka from looking high and low checking out all sites and goggling and on E/Bay Richard's Bikes has the best prices plus they have treated me very well. So I would never go someone else. Back to the bike. How do you feel about the Hammerschmidt? Being so new and unproven. In your opinion what do think is the best all around rear coil shock.I have to say if you weir my LBS I would buy stuff from you even if it wasn't at rock bottom prices just for the great info alone it would be well worth it. You really know your MTB stuff. Allot of shops are so so with newest info on stuff and products.
I'm a new gadget geek, so I am hopeful and would be the first to put one on my bike if I can get my hands on one. If this were made by a fly-by-night outfit I've never heard of, well, I'd probably worry a bit about the longevity and certainly the service after the sale. But, this is made by Truvativ/SRAM and I'm not terribly worried that they won't stand behind it 100%. As for the info, I'm on here as someone who loves biking, bikes, and building bikes, thats it. The shop actually is just another arm of that obsession. I actually am looking around for appropriate frames just so I can test a hammerschmidt... :D
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top