Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting back into riding and was initially looking at full suspension bikes after I decided it was overkill for me and the trails that I would frequent so then I started looking at aluminum hardtails under the one grand price range, after that I read up on steel and how riders preferred it over aloy and recently after going to my local bike shop to get some parts I noticed that one of techs converted his new hardtail to a single speed and that had me thinking....when I ride I hardly change gears anyways so why not.

Notice the pattern here? I guess I'm just old school and prefer simplicity over the latest or highest technology. While surfing the net I came across this bike at Jenson. I was looking into the Dragon Comp at first because it's a steel hardtail and from what I hear it's a quality bike but now I"m looking into the Jamis Exile SS. Does anyone have any insight on this bike, both pros and cons?
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/07_bikes/exiless.html

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,675 Posts
Your choice looks fine to me.

I have a rigid 29er SS plus a 26" hardtail, both steel. I like them both, but for summer riding (high speed, high country downhills & all day rides) I much prefer a suspension fork. The 26" bike also feels much more flickable & easy to air out than the 29er (which has of its own attributes).

In any case I don't believe you'll regret getting the 26" Jamis you linked to.

--Sparty

·
Time flies...
2,206 Posts
djembe975 said:
Thanks but yours is a full rigid 29, I"m looking at a 07 26" front suspension
oops...my bad.
gotta say, I'm really digging my Exile 29er though!
*I ordered a Reba for it too...should be here today!

carry on...

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Exile comes with a 16t freewheel, I think I may eventually change it to something higher. Any recommendations as to what size I should consider? I was thinking perhaps White industries Eno 20t.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shadowhand said:
33x16 is a pretty good ratio for trails. I ride 44x16, but wouldn't recommend that unless most of your riding is commute and/or light hills.
The trail I mostly ride has several steep but not too steep hills. so maybe I can run an 18 or 20 out back. I know everyone's strength varies but do you think that would work out?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hell yes, it's a solid bike to start with! Way nicer than what I started with, or currently ride, for that matter. Got my wife the last '06 13" Exile JensenUSA had on clearance. Helluva beautifully made bike, for 6 clams. Way overkill for her, since she doesn't do much off road at this point, but she can grow into it. I'm old school too, would've preferred a square taper and linear pull brakes for her, but I'm not complaining. I did change out her freewheel to 18T, which seems about right, since it matches my gearing. When she breaks the Shimano, I'll get her an ENO:)

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Exile 26" ss is a solid bike. I bought an 06 model from a Jenson blowout last fall for just over $600. It's a great riding bike - the steel frame is so sweet. I ride mine almost exclusively now on my local trails. The Manitou Axel shock on the '06 was the weakest part of the build. My exile came with a 33x16 ratio, which I changed after a couple rides to 33x18 - great for the hills and steep climbs, but a little too easy to spin out on the flats.

Repo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.