Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's unbelievable how little it took for me to decide that I had to get into this sport. My brother and his friends had been riding for a year or 2, and I came along with them for a ride a few months ago. At the time, I was on my 5 (or 6 or 7...) year old Nakamura Profile, a completely rigid bike from Sport Chek. I went out on the trails, practically died on every climb, struggled to keep any of the other riders in sight ahead of me, was always completely last, and by the end of the ride, I was so tired I could hardly pedal anymore. I was just glad to be back at the car so I could go home and have supper. But there was one thing that I knew from this ride - I had to get a new bike. I don't know what it was, but I instantly knew that this sport was for me. By the next weekend, I was riding my brand new Giant Iguana on the same trail, and all the sudden the fast downhills were so much smoother, and the bike just felt a lot more solid. I still didn't make it up all the climbs, but I was very happy with my new bike.

Fast forward two months - I've hit the trails every weekend without exception, and I'm really feeling myself getting stronger on the uphills and more confident on the downhills. I've still got a lot to learn, but now I go with some of my friends, and I find that I'm the one who's staying ahead and making it up most of the climbs. Last weekend, I took a friend for his first trail ride, and he ended up with almost the same experience I did. In the first 15 minutes of the ride, he was over the handlebars 3 times. He finished with a wobbly front rim from riding too fast over logs with his cheap bike, and he was walking up a bunch of the hills But now he's bike shopping, and I think he'll be on a new bike in the next couple weeks...

I'm just amazed how addicting the speed, challenges, and sense of adventure that mountain biking has to offer really is. And every time I ride, the next week just seems that much longer as I'm even more anxious for next weekend to roll around so I can go out and rip up the trails again!

·
No no...the OTHER LA.
342 Posts
Good passion post! It's testimony like that that clearly answers the question of "how do you handle burn-out?" You DON'T! You just get out there and enjoy the rides and take it all in. Every ride is different for me, even if it's the same ol' trail I've done 30 times. Each ride I learn something new and arrive home jazzed and ready for the next. How could you get burned out on that?

Keep it up!

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Yep, that sounded like me 5 years ago on my first mtb ride with riders better than me. I do miss that feeling. Riding is still awesome but experiencing that first ride feeling is in the past. I was washing out, falling, rolling down steep hills, but still had alot of fun on a entry level giant eddie bauer edition mtb that my parents got me for a gift. Fast forward to today; I work in the tech department of a shop, race just about every weekend, own a couple race bikes, and I enjoy every minute of it. Now I'm the one taking beginners out and showing them the ropes and it's great because I know that was me five years ago. And one thing to do, keep that first mtb bike you have because I still have mine and couldn't imagine parting with at because it introduced me to this wonderful sport!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Fanghasyou - as a snowboard instructor, I lost the 'first ride feeling' many years ago too. However, I experience it again and again through the eyes of those I teach. Think about it that way and you too can be a kid again :)
Cheers
Shorty

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Nice post. I just got into MTB seriously a couple of months ago too. I am definitely hooked and I can already see some improvements, although I have a lot to learn still. I'm like a kid at Christmas everytime I'm supposed to go on a ride adn I get real bummed out if it rains and I can't go.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
:thumbsup: Excellent Passion post :thumbsup: that's what it's all about, coming home with a smile even though you've OTB, are way tired and all scratched up. Wait till you make the decission to go for an even better bike, with a really good fork and components, this sport is addictive and can get sort of expensive but is so worth whatever you spend. Been riding just over 2 years on my 2nd bike and it was a HUGE improvement over my first and really kicked off my learning curve.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, this new addiction to mountain biking seems to be making me ride, even when I shouldn't. I just got back from a solo ride on a trail around a nearby lake. I looked at the thermometer before I left, and it was 35 degrees celcius out (about 95 fahrenheit I think) with the sun absolutely beating down on me as soon as I stepped out the door. But I hadn't gone for a ride yet this weekend, and I really didn't want to wait till next weekend to go on my next ride, so I went anyway (maybe not the best idea in hindsight, but it all worked out). The trail goes most of the way around a small lake, but not all the way, so you have to ride it one way, and then go back around the other way. The quickest I had ever done the trail in the past was 45 minutes (one way). Today, I got in a groove and kept pressing hard even when I got tired, and I ended up finishing in 30 minutes. By this time I was really hot and drenched with sweat already, and even the shade didn't do too much to cool me off. At the moment, I wasn't exactly looking forward to the ride back.

But after a 5 or 10 minute break, I dropped back into the trail to ride back to my car. About halfway back, I really felt the heat starting to get to me. I just didn't have the energy to make some of the climbs that I had done no problem last time I rode there. At one point, I just got off my bike and laid on the grass for about 5 minutes cause I just couldn't keep going. Finally, I forced myself back on my bike, and, with way more effort than it usually takes, I finished up the trial. I was completely beat. I hardly had the energy to load my bike back on the bike rack. But I looked at my watch, and it was 40 minutes after I had left the other end of the trail. I couldn't believe it, even though I was so tired coming back, I still beat my previous best time going both ways. I must say, that's was a very satisfying feeling after using up every last ounce of energy on this scorching hot day. When I got home, my mom couldn't believe that I was crazy enough to go out biking on such a hot day. But, on the other hand, I must say that I haven't had a cold shower that felt as good as the one I just had in a long time...

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Just be careful when going out in that sort of heat by yourself and remember to take plenty of water with you - more than you think you'd drink. Preferably a spare water bottle that you can use to squirt yourself with to help cool you off.

thestarsfan9 said:
Well, this new addiction to mountain biking seems to be making me ride, even when I shouldn't. I just got back from a solo ride on a trail around a nearby lake. I looked at the thermometer before I left, and it was 35 degrees celcius out (about 95 fahrenheit I think) with the sun absolutely beating down on me as soon as I stepped out the door. .............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.