Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am getting back into riding and want to get a bike for AM and some DH, nothing hardcore, just a couple jumps here and there. My budget is $1000, I am open for used bikes aswell. I have a Pro Flex 756 that is 10+ years old, but I broke the rear shock.
So what would you guys suggest? I want somthing reliable, and I would feel better buying a Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, etc... Because I have had expierence with all these bikes and have had no problems.

Thanks

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
AM & some DH sounds like what I do. I recently had a similar decision an focused mine on geometry. Focusing on a stupid low bottom bracket for carving turns, and slacker angles for stability at speed.

I have not been disappointed.

Bikes that I found fit that criteria are:

Specialized Enduro (06)
Santa Cruz Blur 4x

Note that the low BB might not play friendly with FR.

Mr. P

·
Registered
564 Posts
You should realize that everyone who posts here will likely give you a different opinion. With that being said you need to decide which bike best fits your needs.
Here is the reason you aren't getting many replies. 1000 doesn't get you much in a bike these days. For that kind of money you should be looking at a hardtail. A full suspension bike for 1000 will be a really low end bike.

Some hardtails to consider in and around your price range that fit the AM/DH catagory are as follows and no particular order:

Specialized P. All Mtn. $1300
Jamis Komodo 2.0 $885
Jamis Komodo 3.0 $1335
Marin AXC $1199
Kona Caldera $899
Kona Dawg $1499 (full suspension)
Iron Horse Warrior SE $999 (full suspension)
Norco Sasquatch $1115
Brodie Bruzza $1150
Haro Escape Comp $979
Ibex Altas Sport $1129 (full suspension)
GT Rukus Shore $1199
GT Rukus Trail $1199

Best of luck with your hunt for the right bike for you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have to second the Kona Stinky. you can get one new for around 2 G's. Also look at the new mountain bike Action magazine. They have a new buyers guide in the new issue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If I were on that budget I would look for the Iron Horse '06 MKIII deals out there. rscycle still had some last I checked. Right around that price and a very good bike for the money. Not really 'light' but good rugged all mountain. Next choice but a little more would be SC heckler. Also giant reign might be not too much $$$.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
crf59jk said:
I think I have broken it down to Specialized Enduro, and Santa Cruz LT, or 4x.
I might save up another thousand so I can get a good bike.
Bang for the buck the Atlas is a sweet weapon of choice. If you are worried about pedal bob & all the BS that flows about single pivot, modern shock tecnoligy has come a long long way. :cornut:

·
Registered
101 Posts
enduro...all the way. it can be spec'd out for cross country all the way up to light downhill (sx trail). adjustable geometry is also a nice touch

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.