Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me please. I have been trying to learn as much as I can in the past 2 weeks so that I can make a good decision on buying a new Mtn Bike this Saturday or in the near future after that. Anyway I am certain I have narrowed the list down to 4 bikes but really only three. I am looking for a bike that I don't need to upgrade components for at least a 9 months to a year, I would like to have a good frame to build on later, I want a decent fork so I can make drops no higher than a couple of feet maybe 4-5. I want it to be lite, like no heavier than 25, more like 22 lbs. The main job of the bike will be about 10 miles of pavement for work a day, possibly a neighbor hood bike ride mixed pavement and dirt to rocky trails about 3 times a week, then about 2-4 times a month on weekends take it to the mountain trails for whatever, just nothing too technical at first and also use it as a XC bike like starting out at around 20 miles a week. Anyway I am willing to pay up to $900 for this bike but really prefer to keep it around $700. I was first looking at Trek 6700, however no one in this side of the state has any '04's left and no '05's in yet. So I am unable to ride before I buy, the specs look like its up my alley, however the '04 is $769 and the '05 shot up to $849, I don't have the '05 specs. So then I started looking at Cannnondale F400 and Specialized Rockhopper Comp both '04 specs. I sort of ruled Cannondale out by mere suspicion and the fact that I also could not find one in town to test ride. So that left me with the Specialized which was looking pretty good, farely the same bike at least spec wise, I have yet to ride either. However when I was calling around I found an '04 Rockhopper Pro Disc for $700. So now my ears are perking but I really don't know about the disc brakes, everyone says they are great just a little getting use too is all. So I don't know what to do, now steps in my boss telling me I should go with the HardRock Pro Disc. I went today and road the '04 not bad but the components could be upgraded which I heard they did with the '05 I haven't seen them yet. So now I have a bike, which I am not too sure with the frame, components on the '05 seem comparible to the other bikes, and the price is good $620. So as you can see for someone who is buying his first Mtn Bike and knows only small information on the topic,how I am having such a difficult time deciding what I want or what is best. So my question is anyone with any advice out there for me concerning the above bikes or any others you might suggest that might work for me?????

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Jamis makes some good bang for the buck bikes. Not sure if you'll find a bike that regularly handle 4-5' drops and only weight 25 or less pounds though. There's a "what bike to buy" forum btw.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Hardrock Pro Disc ...

chiefmojo25 said:
Help me please. I have been trying to learn as much as I can in the past 2 weeks so that I can make a good decision on buying a new Mtn Bike this Saturday or in the near future after that. Anyway I am certain I have narrowed the list down to 4 bikes but really only three. I am looking for a bike that I don't need to upgrade components for at least a 9 months to a year, I would like to have a good frame to build on later, I want a decent fork so I can make drops no higher than a couple of feet maybe 4-5. I want it to be lite, like no heavier than 25, more like 22 lbs. The main job of the bike will be about 10 miles of pavement for work a day, possibly a neighbor hood bike ride mixed pavement and dirt to rocky trails about 3 times a week, then about 2-4 times a month on weekends take it to the mountain trails for whatever, just nothing too technical at first and also use it as a XC bike like starting out at around 20 miles a week. Anyway I am willing to pay up to $900 for this bike but really prefer to keep it around $700. I was first looking at Trek 6700, however no one in this side of the state has any '04's left and no '05's in yet. So I am unable to ride before I buy, the specs look like its up my alley, however the '04 is $769 and the '05 shot up to $849, I don't have the '05 specs. So then I started looking at Cannnondale F400 and Specialized Rockhopper Comp both '04 specs. I sort of ruled Cannondale out by mere suspicion and the fact that I also could not find one in town to test ride. So that left me with the Specialized which was looking pretty good, farely the same bike at least spec wise, I have yet to ride either. However when I was calling around I found an '04 Rockhopper Pro Disc for $700. So now my ears are perking but I really don't know about the disc brakes, everyone says they are great just a little getting use too is all. So I don't know what to do, now steps in my boss telling me I should go with the HardRock Pro Disc. I went today and road the '04 not bad but the components could be upgraded which I heard they did with the '05 I haven't seen them yet. So now I have a bike, which I am not too sure with the frame, components on the '05 seem comparible to the other bikes, and the price is good $620. So as you can see for someone who is buying his first Mtn Bike and knows only small information on the topic,how I am having such a difficult time deciding what I want or what is best. So my question is anyone with any advice out there for me concerning the above bikes or any others you might suggest that might work for me?????
The Hardrock Pro disc is a great bike. Just make sure you buy it from somebody you trust. Because the dealer you bought it from will be the one to fullfill the warranty if things start breaking ;-)

BTW, if you have more money to spend on a mountain bike .... SPEND IT. You will save money on upgrades in the long run.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was going to go with the hardrock pro... and its a good bike, but honestly spend the extra hundred (got mine for 650) and get the P2... Its WAY durable, and you'll be happier with it. The Pro is its very close cousin and is good in its own rights but the P2 is just a beast and its the type of bike you can upgrade and have around for basically ever... i don't think i'll ever get rid of mine entirely (just maybe some upgrades in a few years). I've done some crazy stuff and had some Major wipe outs and the bike is a rock (other than the stock for which i broke in 5 rides). The pro's fork isn't strong as the stock p2's so if you're planning on anything real crazy my guess is its going to break. when i broke my stock fork i was about ten feet in the air and cased a jump so i wasn't completely surprised.

willtsmith_nwi said:
The Hardrock Pro disc is a great bike. Just make sure you buy it from somebody you trust. Because the dealer you bought it from will be the one to fullfill the warranty if things start breaking ;-)

BTW, if you have more money to spend on a mountain bike .... SPEND IT. You will save money on upgrades in the long run.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Big reason to spend more $$ on a bike at first instead of upgrading later: manufacturers get parts at large discounts as opposed to a single person.

ex. A 300 dollar fork might have cost the manufacturer 150 to get and cost you 200 to buy with the bike.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Buying a bike that you intend to upgrade in the near future, in my opinion, is like buying a house with one less bedroom than you need and planning to add an addition.

It only makes sense if you are getting one heck of a bargan.

At the price you are willing to spend, you should be able to get exactly what you want/need or else have the shop swap things like pedals or seat posts. $900.00 buys a fairly decient ride.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts