Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

time to buy a new bike for my local cross-country trails (no severe jumps here). I have my search narrowed down to two bikes.

1. 04 stumpjumper fsr elite disc ($2340.00 taxes in CAD) lists for about 2400 + taxes

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=6785

2. 04 Norco fireball disc ($2100.00 taxes in CAD) lists for 3295 + taxes

http://www.norco.com/bikes/2004bikes/fireball.htm

The Norco seems to have better components, especially the fox float RL AVA over the stumps fox float R. The Norco has complete lockout front and back and the specialized has none, which isn't sitting well with me, because I currently use the lockout on my current forks.

I have seen the Specialized and read the reviews and all seems good, but the Norco fireball has no reviews for the 04, and because I would be ordering it online, I have ony seen pics.

Has anyone seen or been on the Fireball, and if so, would did you think?

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
well i just got my roomate into mtb and she loves it, she has and elite, its a great bike, the components could be a bit better but she is a beginner and will never know the difference, it really depends on your riding ability and what you are used to, i personally like specialized products and their support, but at the same time better parts are better parts. i dont know anything about the norco, but as far as the elite its a great bike at a pretty good price. even tho she has the womens specific frame i road it around a bit and it is making my mind up to buy a full suspension too. Oh the delemas, try to find some info on the norco before making up your mind.

i just took a peak at the specs listed on your link, i dont think the parts are much better, the float shock is a nice upgrade compared to the epic but shocks can be upgraded, the specialized is a really good bike.

most seem to ride the shock in pro pedel most of the time anyways and that is what the epic shock basically is ( if i am correct that is)

·
Registered
110 Posts
You'll hear it all over these boards: the most important factor in getting a new bike is making sure it fits your body. If you have to order the bike online and you can't ride the thing to make sure it's going to fit you then you're taking your satisfaction with the purchase into your own hands.

I'm not much of a Specialized fan but you really can't go wrong with most of their stuff.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You forgot Trek

Ouch! said:
Hello all,

time to buy a new bike for my local cross-country trails (no severe jumps here). I have my search narrowed down to two bikes.

1. 04 stumpjumper fsr elite disc ($2340.00 taxes in CAD) lists for about 2400 + taxes

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=6785

2. 04 Norco fireball disc ($2100.00 taxes in CAD) lists for 3295 + taxes

http://www.norco.com/bikes/2004bikes/fireball.htm

The Norco seems to have better components, especially the fox float RL AVA over the stumps fox float R. The Norco has complete lockout front and back and the specialized has none, which isn't sitting well with me, because I currently use the lockout on my current forks.

I have seen the Specialized and read the reviews and all seems good, but the Norco fireball has no reviews for the 04, and because I would be ordering it online, I have ony seen pics.

Has anyone seen or been on the Fireball, and if so, would did you think?

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Mike
Buddy, I think your first choice is the better one out of the two you mentioned. I have ridden that stumpjumper and I loved it. I almost bought one myself. I may be mistaken, but I believe it is also the lighter of the two bikes. I could be wrong though. If a lockout is so important to you, then maybe you should broaden your range a little. The Trek Liquid 25 has SPV front and back. SPV is just a good as any lockout only it absorbs bumps in the trail, but you won't experience pedal bob, which is the only reason you would want a lockout in the first place. Also check out the Liquid 30. It also has SPV front and back, and better componentry. Both Treks should be in your price range, so please at least give em a second thought. I won't benefit from it, but you sure will. Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts